Motorola MOTONOW event begins; iTunes phone not being shown (Updated x3)
MobileTracker’s Jon Gales reports exclusively to iLounge from Motorola’s MOTONOW media event in Chicago, Illinois:
A black and gray, candybar-style phone some have suggested would be a ROKR iTunes-compatible phone is now on stage, with what looks like a gray scroll wheel by the keypad. The scroll wheel appears to be full-sized (roughly as large as the iPod mini’s), while the keypad resembles one used on Motorola’s SLVR series of phones. Gales reports that this phone is a 3G phone.
Update: In the first five minutes of the event, Motorola’s Ed Zander read a statement from Apple stating that the iTunes phones will not be unveiled today, but instead will be unveiled at a separate music event within the next 66 days, and shipped this quarter. “We’re not going to launch the iTunes phone today,” the statement read. “Steve Jobs is not going to jump out of a cake.”
Update 2: Engadget has an early photograph of the non-iTunes ROKR.
Update 3: The full text of the Apple/Motorola statement is now available at Read More below.
“I think you want to know something else,” said Zander. “Like, where’s that announcement about that company on the West Coast that I can’t mention, that we did a deal with last year, that you want to know about? And every time I talk about that, I end up putting a foot in my mouth, so I have an official thing to read tonight. Right?” (Looking at someone in audience.) “Can I have the envelope please?
Okay. Here it is. I’m going to get this out and open tonight. Are you ready - all the press?”
“We’re not going to launch the iTunes phone today. Steve Jobs is not going to jump out of a cake. And we’re not going to launch it tomorrow. But on one of the 66 days left in the quarter - we’re not saying which one yet - Apple, Motorola, and our biggest operator partners around the world will announce, and ship, the first iTunes phone. It’ll be the best music phone in the business, it’ll ship before our competitors, and as you know, we believe music will be the next big experience, the next big thing. So big, we think it deserves an event of its own.
Love, Ed & Steve - just kidding. But it’s real, and it’s happening, stay tuned for iTunes.” (Tosses letter to someone off-stage.)
“Okay. I don’t want to hear any more about it for the next day, or so, about that, we got a lot more… more equally exciting things to announce.”
- Apple Music service to include social pages for artists
- Apple streaming music service to provide limited free listening options
- OpenTV sues Apple for alleged patent infringement
- Report: Apple still missing key music streaming deals in time for WWDC debut
- Apple vying for artist exclusives for streaming music service; family plan?
- Apple releases iTunes 12.1.2 with OS X Photos app support
- Report: iOS 9 will bring new security features, improve legacy device support
- Report: Apple’s push for local content may delay Apple’s TV service
- Adobe dropping Photoshop Touch in favor of more focused apps
- Report: Dual app viewing, multiple logins coming to iPad
- Transit coming to Apple Maps in iOS 9?
- Apple and IBM expand MobileFirst apps to Apple Watch
- Report: Pebble facing financial struggles?
- iOS 9 to include new Home app for HomeKit?
- Report: Apple to bring Apple Watch font to iOS 9
- Leak reveals Flow by Outlook, a Microsoft email messaging app for iPhone
- Apple iPhone Lightning Dock
- Witti Notti and Dotti
- PhoneSuit Elite 6 and Elite 6 Pro Battery Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Wren V5US Speaker
- Skech Base for iPad Air 2
- Anova Culinary Precision Cooker
- Phiaton MS 100 BA Earphones
- Olloclip Ollocase for iPhone 6
- AKG Y50 On-Ear Headphones
- Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 SonicPro Over-Ear Headphones
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?