Motorola to hold iTunes phone event on Sept. 7 | iLounge News

Motorola to hold iTunes phone event on Sept. 7

Just hours after Apple’s special event in San Francisco next Wednesday, Motorola will host its own invitation-only event in New York City to show off the first of its iTunes-enabled mobile phones.

While few details are currently known, an invitation posted by Gizmodo reads: “The ‘Device formerly known as the cell phone’ is ready for its next act. Please join us for an evening of fun, music and evolution. September 7th. 7PM. NYC. More details upon RSVP.”

As previously reported, Apple sent out invitations to select media on Monday for an event where it is expected to unveil at least one significant new product.

Update: Motorola told iLounge that “this is going to be a very exciting event and is a celebration of excellent music with live performances from Common and other special guests.”

« Report: O2 to carry iTunes phone in UK

HangPhones for iPod shuffle now available »

Comments

New iPod it is at the Apple Event then!!!! Sweeeeeet!!!!!

Posted by RBi on August 31, 2005 at 3:02 PM (CDT)

sounds like the events are in conjunction… and if the 25 song limit is true, they need to get rid of the extravagant artists performing at the event…

Posted by brianjames on August 31, 2005 at 3:20 PM (CDT)

New iPod + phone = nice!!

Posted by lovepoke in Paradise on August 31, 2005 at 4:19 PM (CDT)

why do they make a big deal out of the motorola phone????
i’ve been playing music/mp3 on my phone since time immemorial!!!

Posted by iJay on August 31, 2005 at 4:28 PM (CDT)

Heck Yeah!!! I don’t give a blank about an iTumes phone. I was actually worried that the phone was what Apple was announcing, not a new iPod. But thank you, Motorola (and iLounge) for proving me wrong and ensuring that I will be at least $300 poorer by next weekend.

Posted by Justin on August 31, 2005 at 6:15 PM (CDT)

where in SF is the party?

Posted by red95377 on August 31, 2005 at 6:40 PM (CDT)

personally i think this CONFIRMS that apple will be announcing the itunes phone. apple and motorola have been working together in developing this phone. why would steve jobs want motorola’s phone announcement on <i>the same day</a> as he unveils a new ipod or other device? i mean, jobes must have known when the itunes phone was going to be announced, so i think he and motorola are in on this together, as brianjames said. maybe apple will release something related to the itunes phone if it’s not the phone itself, but it seems to me that jobs will be unveiling the new phone, and then motorola is sponsoring more of a press party that evening to let reporters play with the new phone, and watch some music acts as well. too bad, i was hoping it would be a new ipod. guess i’ll have to wait until paris…

Posted by pewtey on August 31, 2005 at 8:14 PM (CDT)

excuse my shoddy html. :-/

Posted by pewtey on August 31, 2005 at 8:15 PM (CDT)

I’m glad the EVENT will be exciting… since I’m very skeptical about the product itself being much to write home about :)

Posted by Nagromme on August 31, 2005 at 8:30 PM (CDT)

it’s lame how it’ll probably be just for cingular though.

Posted by buffalo on August 31, 2005 at 10:22 PM (CDT)

this new Moto Rokr will be a joke compared to some of these ridiculous asian cell phones…some cell phones in Korea already has HD video capability with the swivel screen.

imagine a dude with Rokr going to Korea trying to brag about the phone and then some Korean dude takes out this HD phone. I don’t know why they make this such a big deal.

by the way, Reuter was reporting (I think) that it is going to have 512mb and 1gb versions.

Posted by make Trades Fair on September 1, 2005 at 12:08 AM (CDT)

this phone is a joke.

Posted by kloan on September 1, 2005 at 12:25 AM (CDT)

This is so not a big deal. One,I am w/ Sprint and I have 20 some months left on my contract….so even if I wanted to switch to Cingular I couldn’t. Second,most cell compaies only allow phone upgrades once per 2 year period unless you want to pay full price on a new phone. So,lets say you did a free/discounted phone upgrade 3 months ago…if you now wanted this itunes phone you’d have to pay full price. Would it be cool to leave the house w/ only a cell and not have to take an ipod with? Sure…but then why own an ipod at all. CellPHONEs are to make and receive calls…period. ipods are for portable digital music. Stop trying to merge everything!!!

Posted by idong on September 1, 2005 at 2:32 AM (CDT)

I don’t see why everyone is so excited about this. My phone can already store a ton of songs with its 1 gig card. So what’s all the fuss about? I guess they could try and win customers over with the design, but I don’t think that’d be much use. Unlike the pig-ugly old mp3 player market that the iPod usurped, there’s a glut of elegant phones out there already.

Apple better have something good up their sleeves, cos if it’s just: “Look guys, is it an iPod, or is it a phone? huh? huh?... it’s both in one!!!” I think we’ll all be underwhelmed.

Posted by Dirty_Idea on September 1, 2005 at 3:25 AM (CDT)

heres what will happen:

apple event - new iTunes/introduce phone
motorola event - introduce phone more

no new Ipod, no way

Posted by wecallitfall on September 1, 2005 at 4:30 AM (CDT)

Whatever happens, even if they won’t introduce a new iPod (which is after all about damn time), I sure hope that iTunes 5 is in order. It’s been over two years since 4.0 and the biggest gap between major releases prior to that was 11 months.

Posted by Jesper on September 1, 2005 at 10:18 AM (CDT)

I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in an iTunes phone. Why anyone would want to add a feature to their phone that’s going to reduce its battery life is completely beyond me.

Posted by Dan on September 1, 2005 at 1:27 PM (CDT)

Camera phones already account for 40% of total phone sales so music player phones look like the next inevitable step. No-one knew they wanted a phone in their camera until they got it for “free” with their next upgrade but now you’d have to specifically ask not to have one.

Existing iPod owners probably don’t want a music player in their phone but with phones selling at around 200 million per quarter vs. iPod sales of 6 million per quarter there are a lot of phone users without an iPod who will be perfectly happy to take it when it’s offered.

Posted by Andrew on September 1, 2005 at 3:09 PM (CDT)

...or indeed a camera in their phone.

Posted by Andrew on September 1, 2005 at 3:12 PM (CDT)

For me it would be nice for in the gym; someone calls me -> music stops and phone rings. Some of the Sony ones have this feature already (but as I have an iPod and use iTunes, those are of no use to me…)

Posted by peter on September 6, 2005 at 6:27 PM (CDT)