Movie rentals coming to iTunes? | iLounge News

Movie rentals coming to iTunes?

Apple is currently in talks with major Hollywood studios regarding the launch of an iTunes-based online movie rental service, reports Financial Times. The rentals would supposedly be priced at $2.99 for a 30-day rental, and would incorporate DRM that allowed transfer of the title to at least one other device, such as an Apple TV or iPod. The software would also prevent the movies from being copied. “[It would] compete against cable companies and anyone else offering VOD into the home,” said one studio executive. Apple has yet to comment on the report; the company is said to be aiming for an autumn introduction.

« ‘Days of Our Lives’ heading to iTunes

AT&T training workbook reveals iPhone details »

Comments

brilliant - I would use this service for sure.

Posted by Peter on June 11, 2007 at 10:07 AM (CDT)

Heck yeah I would use this.  Way cheaper than Blockbuster in my area right now ($4.25 new release) and I don’t have to drive down there to get it or return it!  Genious.  And it may push others to get an apple TV.  Namely me.

Posted by Aaron on June 11, 2007 at 10:32 AM (CDT)

I still think that if you get any mail order system, and rip them to your ipod it would be cheeper. Also, you would get to keep the movie.

Posted by JMC on June 11, 2007 at 10:43 AM (CDT)

JMC, That would be a heckuva lot more work as well as being illegal and unethical.  My main concern is the poor video quality (as compared to an actual DVD)- probably beats my VOD cable service but not DVD.

Posted by dod on June 11, 2007 at 11:29 AM (CDT)

This would be great and would be the movie solution I’m seeking.

I haven’t bought any movies from iTunes to date.  I wanted a rental solution from the beginning and $2.99 is the perfect price point.

I hope it happens.

Posted by wheatie on June 11, 2007 at 11:30 AM (CDT)

I think $2.99 willbe minimum price(higher price on new releases). Also it may effect on pc speed when it’s download. BTW it would be nice feature if rental movies are watchable in itune without downloading them and download only for ipod or Apple tv.

Posted by shakoki on June 11, 2007 at 12:24 PM (CDT)

Or they could do a monthly subscription. then i would def invest in a apple tv.

Posted by navas on June 11, 2007 at 12:33 PM (CDT)

Exactly what I’ve been looking for. I’m not as bothered by the video quality of the iTunes store as others are. I don’t have an HDTV or Apple TV, and my wife and I regularly watch video on my 20” iMac.

iTunes rental would integrate perfectly with how we watch movies. Great move.

Posted by jasonact on June 11, 2007 at 1:28 PM (CDT)

If you have a networked TiVo, the non-mobile part of this solution is already available with Amazon Unbox.  The biggest drawback in my experience is the 24 hr. limitation to watch after starting.  Otherwise, good solution and they have been running $0.99 rentals (Good Shepherd, Departed, Babel, etc.) the past few weekends.

Posted by jpa2825 on June 11, 2007 at 3:00 PM (CDT)

for $2.99 I could ignore the video quality.

Netflix & Redbox work GREAT for me for now though.

Posted by iScott on June 11, 2007 at 8:34 PM (CDT)

I would really like to see this happening. I don’t rent alot of movies but when I do it would be nice to watch them I want.

Posted by Shameless1 on June 12, 2007 at 3:35 AM (CDT)