mStation debuts new iPod speaker systems | iLounge News

mStation debuts new iPod speaker systems

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Friday, April 14, 2006
News Categories: iPod Accessories

image

mStation has introduced two new iPod speaker systems—the mStation 2.1 Stereo Tower and the mStation 2.1 Stereo Orb. The Stereo Tower ($300) is a free-standing system featuring an aluminum design, 100 watts of power, and a dedicated subwoofer. The Orb ($150; shown) is a spherical desktop speaker system that offers 50 watts of power and built-in subwoofer. Both systems charge/sync iPods, come with 10-button remotes, and work with all iPod models. The two mStation systems are available immediately.

image

« Win Griffin iPod Survival Kits and more tonight in live iLounge chat

Fabrix offers new polka-dot iPod cases »

Comments

Nice tower

Posted by Jonathan Keim on April 14, 2006 at 7:51 AM (PDT)

the Orb looks damn cool. Need more pics and reviews on it…

Posted by 3canada on April 14, 2006 at 10:41 AM (PDT)

that orb looks like a death star. I think the tower looks awesome, we would have to hear now how it sounds.

Posted by Cask on April 14, 2006 at 11:24 AM (PDT)

Both of those would look awesome in my room smile I can’t wait for iLounge reviews, and maybe even a contest with the company? smile

Josh

Posted by Josh Powell in VA on April 14, 2006 at 1:43 PM (PDT)

The orb looks pretty neat.  I would like to see a black on, the match my black iPods and black shelves. White isn’t too bad though.

We’ll have to see how the sound quality holds up.

Posted by LilAlienD in Maryland on April 14, 2006 at 9:17 PM (PDT)

Oooh, nice. In particular the Orb. Although like all small iPod speaker systems it would be nice if it was just a little less expensive.

Posted by Multimoog on April 15, 2006 at 12:56 AM (PDT)

These two products make me want to finally take the plunge and buy my first ipod. This is what I have been waiting for.

Posted by morgan on April 15, 2006 at 11:07 AM (PDT)

The orb is awesome. The tower looks pretty cool too.

Posted by Joelle on April 15, 2006 at 12:25 PM (PDT)

Ooooh!  I want that orb!  What a great design.

Posted by Revie on April 15, 2006 at 5:19 PM (PDT)

Wow, that tower looks sharp, i can’t wait to get mine…hopefully we can see the orb in black soon…for my blk ipod.

Posted by Kevin Harris on April 15, 2006 at 5:53 PM (PDT)

I’ve been looking for some cool looking speakers and now I’ve found them. Both the Orb and Tower would look great in my new bachelor pad.

Posted by Rich on April 15, 2006 at 6:03 PM (PDT)

those are lookin pretty cool…i think the orb would suit me best. i’m lookin forward to buying it

Posted by Pat on April 15, 2006 at 6:12 PM (PDT)

Sweet! Now, I can listen to music while I play Halo.  That Orb’s gonna match my XBox 360 perfectly.

Posted by Weiner on April 15, 2006 at 6:13 PM (PDT)

That tower would look awesome in my living room…but that orb would look sick in my bedroom…maybe ill have to get both

Posted by Jason on April 15, 2006 at 6:14 PM (PDT)

These things look awesome.  I’m gonna order some.

Posted by Asiria on April 15, 2006 at 6:18 PM (PDT)

These are definitly the best looking ipod docks, can’t wait to pick it up

Posted by Brian on April 15, 2006 at 6:18 PM (PDT)

your new system looks great and the price is right i can’t wait to buy the speakers they wiil look great in my house

Posted by jimmie on April 15, 2006 at 6:43 PM (PDT)

$300 for a tower of that size tarted up with machined aluminum…somehow I’m having a tough time envisioning a lot of the money being spent on the internal speaker drivers and related circuitry itself.

If a company like B&O were to have made something like this (which the design reminds me of), the price would’ve been far north of three C-notes if only to get the thing to actually sound good, even if you ignore any price bloat due to Bang & Olufsen’s “brand prestige” (personally, I think this refugee from a 1993 Sharper Image catelog looks like some sort of strange single-inverted rung ladder for your iPod…but that’s me).

As for the $150 Bleached Death Star (it also reminds me of the shuttle craft from Discovery in the movie ‘2001: A Space Odyssey’, only sans robotic arms…“open the pod doors, Hal…”): like the others here I like the look—well, it’s more like it’s not disagreeable to me—even if it reminds me waaaaay too much of the Panasonic ball radios from the 1970s. Not exactly original, even if it’s used in a uniquely different way.

I’d still be curious enough, however, to actually listen to these things, if only they’d show up in a local B&M, and not just in the online inventory of two e-tailers I’m not really familiar with, and certainly have never done business with before.

Posted by flatline response on April 16, 2006 at 2:51 PM (PDT)

the orb reminds me of Marvin from the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy movie.  this is not a bad thing.  I’ve half wanted to obtain a bunch of tools and a toy Marvin and convert the toy marvin into an ipod case of some kind anyway.

Posted by Chibithulhu on April 18, 2006 at 2:35 AM (PDT)

I purchased the Orb from SkyMall on a whim.  I cannot tell you how happy I am with my purchase.  It landed itself in the kitchen and looks so good.  I’ve reached the conclusion that I need two more.  Acoustically the sound that this piece produces is unreal.  I also have a JBL Sound Stage and it leaves it in the dust.  YUGO vs. Ferrari no kidding!  I’m going to have to give it away.  I can barley stand listening to it now!  The dedicated Subwoofer and Treble/Bass controls on the mStation piece make all of the difference. Not to mention my wife likes the cosmetics and also luvs the sound, hence it landing itself in the kitchen.  The Tower piece looks cool, I may have to pick one of those up.  I look forward to hearing more about this company!  It would be nice to see these products in large B/M’s.

Posted by iLUVmyiPod on April 21, 2006 at 8:14 PM (PDT)