MTV, Microsoft teaming to launch ‘URGE’ digital music store | iLounge News

MTV, Microsoft teaming to launch ‘URGE’ digital music store

imageIn what could be the stiffest competition yet for the iTunes Music Store, MTV Networks and Microsoft announced today that they have joined forces to develop a new digital music service called URGE. Set to launch next year, the service will be integrated into a forthcoming version of Microsoft Windows Media Player. Music pricing was not announced.

“The collaboration unites MTV Networks’ music DNA, marketing strengths and powerful MTV, VH1 and CMT brands with the technology leadership and consumer reach of Microsoft,” the companies said. “URGE will offer rich entertainment programming and innovative tools designed to guide musical discovery and connect fans to the artists and music they love. Offering more than 2 million songs from the major labels and thousands of independents, URGE will encompass all musical genres, from alt-country to zydeco. In addition to a broad catalogue of music choices, URGE will deliver a deep well of exclusive MTV Networks programming and original, hand-crafted content.”

« HandStands debuts iSnug Nano Armband

Edmunds offers free automotive videos on iTunes »

Comments

Competition is good.

Posted by LC Angell on December 13, 2005 at 11:39 AM (CST)

It’s second off the mark though, and if it isn’t compatible with iPod’s (unlikely I imagine), then it won’t be used by anyone who is an existing customer of iTunes - shouldn’t *really* pose any major threat.

Posted by LC Angell on December 13, 2005 at 11:53 AM (CST)

Looks crap and uncool :(

Posted by LC Angell on December 13, 2005 at 12:03 PM (CST)

I’ve got my iPod and if the music companies ever force Apple into upping their prices I’ll just go back to buying CDs. Maybe this kind of competition will help keep prices down?

Can’t see me investing in anything to do with Microsoft though; not after the year of bliss I’ve had since moving back to Mac OS.

Posted by LC Angell on December 13, 2005 at 12:10 PM (CST)

Well, if its music offerings are anything like what MTV & VH1 broadcasts these days, good luck….. At least iTunes’ breadth of music spans all genres and ages.

Posted by LC Angell on December 13, 2005 at 12:11 PM (CST)

I’m curious what their pricing will be, as well if it is compatible with iPods.  I like the idea of having access to “thousands” of independent labels. :)

I wonder if one will be able to ‘buy’ a song (as on iTMS) or will it be some sort of ‘rent’ a song as in the past (which would really disappoint me).

I do not see how it is a threat, just an alternative.  I agree with FahrenheiPod 451 that competition is good. :)

Posted by LC Angell on December 13, 2005 at 12:32 PM (CST)

To: Mr. Gates and Mr. Redstone
From: The Public
RE: Music Stores

You lost. Concede defeat in the digital music war.

Give it up alredy.

Regards,
We Who Have Spoken

Posted by LC Angell on December 13, 2005 at 12:37 PM (CST)

Big whoop!  Does MTV even matter anymore???

In typical fashion, MS is flailing about, trying desparately to come up with some sort of competition to iTMS.  Whatever it is, it won’t support iPod, so, therefore, it is already doomed to failure.  Can’t they see this???

Hey, by the way, whatever happened to Microsoft’s previous iTMS killer???

Posted by LC Angell on December 13, 2005 at 12:50 PM (CST)

have you checked out WMP?  it’s a joke

Posted by LC Angell on December 13, 2005 at 1:59 PM (CST)

I wouldn’t exactly call this competition…

Posted by LC Angell on December 13, 2005 at 2:22 PM (CST)

Hmmmmm…..the biggest and most powerful cable channel in the world and the most powerful company in the world coming together on a music service.  Sounds like Microsoft is going to repeat history and take what apple once owned.

Posted by LC Angell on December 13, 2005 at 3:05 PM (CST)

URGE is a stupid name for the music store. Who the funk named it urge? Rated R for retarded.

Posted by LC Angell on December 13, 2005 at 3:26 PM (CST)

Posted by LC Angell on December 13, 2005 at 4:01 PM (CST)

I wonder if the music will be compatible with iPods?  If they aren’t compatible, it won’t create much competition for iTunes, especially considering that almost 75% of DAP owners own iPods.

Posted by LC Angell on December 13, 2005 at 4:16 PM (CST)

DAP?

Posted by LC Angell on December 13, 2005 at 5:44 PM (CST)

jesus christ what a lameass try. im not an applefanboy or anything, but i dont worhsip m$ either. why cant they just face it? they lost, they lost so horribly its a laughing matter. the only thing keeping me from installing macosx on my intel pc is that it doesnt support alot of games.

Posted by LC Angell on December 13, 2005 at 6:16 PM (CST)

Digital Audio Player

Posted by LC Angell on December 13, 2005 at 6:20 PM (CST)

Yes, Microsoft has lost this battle to date, but I’m not gonna count them out.

Posted by LC Angell on December 13, 2005 at 8:22 PM (CST)

Don’t throw anything at me, but I kinda like the name.  At least they didn’t just call it the “Microsoft/MTV Music Store.”  However, I agree that unless it supports the iPod it really isn’t going to be competition.

Posted by LC Angell on December 13, 2005 at 8:46 PM (CST)

“^^ Sorry, we have a no younger than 10 years old policy, but thank you for playing.”

You’re smart.

Posted by LC Angell on December 13, 2005 at 8:53 PM (CST)