MTV, RealNetworks partner to challenge iTunes [updated]
Viacom’s MTV Networks is ready to announce that it is merging its online digital music offerings into a new venture with RealNetworks in an effort to better compete with iTunes, according to a Wall Street Journal report. The new joint venture will reportedly use Verizon Wireless for mobile distribution of content, a move that provides the service additional leverage against Apple and iTunes, following the launch of the AT&T-only iPhone. The report also claims that the venture will be headed by Michael Bloom, who currently heads Urge for MTV Networks. The new venture effectively signals the end of the Urge service, which was announced in partnership with Microsoft last year.
Update: In an official announcement, Real and MTV revealed that they are uniting Real’s Rhapsody service and MTV’s URGE service in a single offering from a new company, Rhapsody America, that will be the exclusive digital music service for Real and for MTV Networks in the United States. Through the new company both Real and MTV have formed a long-term exclusive relationship with Verizon Wireless. As part of that relationship, Rhapsody will be fully integrated with Verizon’s VCAST Music service. As of today, users of MTV’s URGE service can use their existing usernames and passwords to log in to Rhapsody and get access to both services.
- Apple in talks to acquire Pinterest rival The Fancy?
- Google intros Nexus 7, Nexus Q as iPad, Apple TV rivals
- Samsung releases app to ease iOS to Galaxy transition
- Apple, Time reach agreement on magazine sales
- Microsoft unveils Xbox SmartGlass; links console to iPad, iPhone
- New HTC handsets face import delay due to Apple
- Report: iOS 9 will bring new security features, improve legacy device support
- Report: Apple’s push for local content may delay Apple’s TV service
- Adobe dropping Photoshop Touch in favor of more focused apps
- Report: Dual app viewing, multiple logins coming to iPad
- Transit coming to Apple Maps in iOS 9?
- Apple and IBM expand MobileFirst apps to Apple Watch
- Report: Pebble facing financial struggles?
- iOS 9 to include new Home app for HomeKit?
- Report: Apple to bring Apple Watch font to iOS 9
- Leak reveals Flow by Outlook, a Microsoft email messaging app for iPhone
- Apple iPhone Lightning Dock
- Witti Notti and Dotti
- PhoneSuit Elite 6 and Elite 6 Pro Battery Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Wren V5US Speaker
- Skech Base for iPad Air 2
- Anova Culinary Precision Cooker
- Phiaton MS 100 BA Earphones
- Olloclip Ollocase for iPhone 6
- AKG Y50 On-Ear Headphones
- Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 SonicPro Over-Ear Headphones
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?