MTV, RealNetworks partner to challenge iTunes [updated]
Viacom’s MTV Networks is ready to announce that it is merging its online digital music offerings into a new venture with RealNetworks in an effort to better compete with iTunes, according to a Wall Street Journal report. The new joint venture will reportedly use Verizon Wireless for mobile distribution of content, a move that provides the service additional leverage against Apple and iTunes, following the launch of the AT&T-only iPhone. The report also claims that the venture will be headed by Michael Bloom, who currently heads Urge for MTV Networks. The new venture effectively signals the end of the Urge service, which was announced in partnership with Microsoft last year.
Update: In an official announcement, Real and MTV revealed that they are uniting Real’s Rhapsody service and MTV’s URGE service in a single offering from a new company, Rhapsody America, that will be the exclusive digital music service for Real and for MTV Networks in the United States. Through the new company both Real and MTV have formed a long-term exclusive relationship with Verizon Wireless. As part of that relationship, Rhapsody will be fully integrated with Verizon’s VCAST Music service. As of today, users of MTV’s URGE service can use their existing usernames and passwords to log in to Rhapsody and get access to both services.
- Apple in talks to acquire Pinterest rival The Fancy?
- Google intros Nexus 7, Nexus Q as iPad, Apple TV rivals
- Samsung releases app to ease iOS to Galaxy transition
- Apple, Time reach agreement on magazine sales
- Microsoft unveils Xbox SmartGlass; links console to iPad, iPhone
- New HTC handsets face import delay due to Apple
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, last chance for August giveaway
- Apple to add 3X Retina Display support to iPhone 6?
- iPhone 6 logic board leak shows NFC, A8 chips
- Massive report reveals Apple’s PR strategies
- iWatch not shipping until 2015?
- Report: Dutch chipmaker NXP to provide iPhone 6 NFC chips
- Video Review: Parrot’s Jumping Sumo and Rolling Spider
- Apps of the Week: Hyperlapse, BioShock, Asphalt 8 1.5 + more
- Apple sends out invites to September 9 event
- Report: iPhone 6 to feature NFC mobile payments
- Grace Digital Ecostone Bluetooth Speaker
- Awesome Cables 6ft Braided Awesome Cable
- ZeroChroma Folio-Slide for iPad Air
- Juno Labs Juno Power HUE Pro
- Parrot Minidrone Jumping Sumo
- Parrot Minidrone Rolling Spider
- Stem Innovation Izon View
- Zivix PUC Wireless MIDI Link
- IK Multimedia iRig Voice
- Ten One Design Magnus Air
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today