MTV to launch URGE online music store this week | iLounge News

MTV to launch URGE online music store this week

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Monday, May 15, 2006
News Categories: Digital Media

image

MTV plans to launch a public beta version of its URGE digital music store this week. URGE will be integrated into the next update of Microsoft’s Windows Media Player, and will sell no songs that are compatible with the iPod. “At launch, URGE will have more than 2 million tracks, which can be purchased individually at 99 cents or as full albums starting at around $9.95,” reports the AP. “The service also will offer unlimited downloads at a monthly rate of $9.95, or $14.95 for the ability to transfer songs to any of more than 100 compatible portable music players. Initially, URGE will also feature streaming videos, with video downloads becoming available for purchase later this year.” MTV is expected to heavily promote URGE on air, and will also offer exclusive tracks such as live performances from “TRL” and “MTV Unplugged.”

image

« Mix: MySpace, Bose, Cabbie, Ohio Univ.

Report: Apple, Softbank developing iPod phone »

Comments

This looks pretty sweet, but it’s definetly a copy-cat itunes. would the downloads be in protected wmp format, or what? ‘cause if they aren’t, we could simply covert them to AAC.

And another thing: itunes has 2 million songs, too. does this include the many double albums you find laying around? why do have double albums, anyway?

Posted by QWER on May 15, 2006 at 7:43 AM (PDT)

“URGE is not compatible with Apple’s Macintosh computers or its market-leading iPod digital music player”

Gee, surprise! I guess it will be a BLAZING success, since, admittedly, everyone is just buying iPods in order to buy from the iTMS, but everyone secretly hates it too. Those 3% of non-iPod Player market are really really fought hard about. I mean really, those people can choose from such a mass of online stores, like… uhm… you know, that one.. and Coke had one too, didn’t they? Yeah right.

Posted by Bad Beaver on May 15, 2006 at 8:39 AM (PDT)

I also love the “educate about the vitues of subscription” bit. YEAH, COME ON! HERE’S MY CASH! TAKE IT! TAKE IT ALL so I can listen endlessly to lo-fi music that I would not even think about if I had to buy it on CD! In fact I would be THANKFUL that my right to listen to it vaporizes once I stop paying.

Posted by Bad Beaver on May 15, 2006 at 8:43 AM (PDT)

Besides the MTV branding and maybe some exclusive tracks…I see -no- difference between this and any of the other Windows based music services (Napster, etc).

Not everyone buys tunes off of iTunes but iPod users won’t be enticed to leave just because MTV is trying to throw their muscle around in this area.  Until they come up with something that can take down the iPod, they’ll never be as successful as they want to be.

I personally wouldn’t mind buying a few tracks off any of the rivals of iTunes but if it’s not iPod compatible, sorry charlie.

Posted by Dennis S. on May 15, 2006 at 10:25 AM (PDT)

haha! i just thought of something. iPod/iTunes is like king kong, and all the little people are trying in vain to kill it. When/if they do eventually take it down, it will CRASH to the ground. i know, im insane, whateva.

Posted by QWER on May 15, 2006 at 11:26 AM (PDT)

Interesting that MTV promotes the hell out of iPods and Macs in general on every Road Rules, Real World and hybrid show they produce. Yet their site isn’t Mac-compatible, and now they’re alienating the large majority of their young audience by not allowing URGE songs to be played on the most popular mp3 player out there. Really, really dumb move MTV. If the songs on URGE were compatible with iPods, you might have a fighting chance. Otherwise, just give up like you gave up playing good music years ago.

Sorry to be the one to tell you, MTV… but you’re no longer relevant. Just change your name to the “Retarded Spoiled Teen’s Who Look and Act Like Paris Hilton Network” and move on.

Posted by Jason on May 15, 2006 at 12:35 PM (PDT)

####### consumer:
You never own any of the music you download.
You are simply licensed it.

You may own the CD, but not the music. The file, but not the song.

Josh

Posted by Josh Powell in VA on May 15, 2006 at 2:06 PM (PDT)

Of course it’s not going to be able to sell music that’s compatible with iPod, because it necessarily has to use WMA protected with DMA so the downloads can be legal. Isn’t the way around that just simply downloading the music, burning it onto CD and then ripping it back into iTunes? I guess it’s a big waste of blank CDs and of time.

Posted by Goatee on May 15, 2006 at 9:58 PM (PDT)

“YEAH, COME ON! HERE’S MY CASH! TAKE IT! TAKE IT ALL so I can listen endlessly to lo-fi music that I would not even think about if I had to buy it on CD!”

Sounds like you could be talking about the ITMS to me….

I can’t understand why anyone would buy a full album from any of the download services, Apple or otherwise, when you can buy the CD online and then rip it at whatever quality you want, to unprotected AAC or mp3 or whatever. Maybe for occasional tracks where you don’t want the full album but for anything else, why would you buy a low-bitrate DRMed download track? Doesn’t make sense.

Posted by Al on May 16, 2006 at 1:51 AM (PDT)

Josh: With Limited Listening Rights licenses, you do not even own the license, since you cannot sell it later. The same goes for the music file.

Posted by Censored and Banned Consumer on May 16, 2006 at 5:14 AM (PDT)

Objectionable content is one thing, but this is ridicolous.

Shame on you iLounge moderators, for censoring my comments, my email address, and and my IP from reaching your site at all.

“Shame on us”?... Shame on you!
You select a username with a profanity in it, use suspect email addresses and post profanities in your comments. We reserve the right to ban anyone who acts in such a way. If you dislike that then take your comments elsewhere.

iLounge.com

Posted by Censored and Banned Consumer on May 16, 2006 at 11:02 AM (PDT)

I subscibed to Urge like an idiot and here was then end result.
I paid the 14.95 for the all access to go this is according to there susciption info to allow you to burn msic and sync to compatible MP3 players.
I had a problem with all of the 250+ songs I downloaded I got a message that states that I do not have the rights to the songs so I can not burn or synch them.
There customer support could barly speak english and barly could understand what I was trying to tell them that I was directed to go to there online store to retrive the rights to the song but when I went to the online store to get the rights there was no link or any info on how to do this!
So I called customer support once again and they had me mess with my computer for abouit an hour!
after all of this I called again to cancell my subscription after only one day and told them that I want my money refunded and they refused to cancell and refused to refund my money!
Then I said to my self then if im going to have to pay for this I am going to use it some how!
So I called once again and this is what I was finally told by the supervisor at customer service.
The only way that you can gain the rights to burn or sync the music you download is to buy the track for .99 cents and then you can get the rights.
I told them that I subscibed to the 14.95 service that clearly stats that I have the right to burn and sync this music and she told me I still have to purchase the rights!
So I told her that this was BS becouse this is clearly ripping people off and missleading them to belive that you can burn and sync for the 14.95 all access to go.
and that I would contact the better buisness burea and let them know how they choose to do buisness.
when I asked again for my money bacy I was told that they would not give my money back becouse they have a no refund policy.
So BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They are the lowest form of buisness I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with!!!!!!

Posted by jerry ramsey on July 1, 2006 at 9:47 PM (PDT)

plz help me donwlord song ang movie

Posted by man on October 11, 2006 at 6:38 PM (PDT)

I need a contact for URGE.  Jerry Ramsey said he’d called - where did you get a ph no?  I have emailed URGE repeatedly w/o response.  I want to cancel my subscrition.  This is a rip-off

Posted by ginnylee on October 1, 2007 at 4:50 AM (PDT)