MTX intros iThunder portable iPod audio system | iLounge News

MTX intros iThunder portable iPod audio system

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Wednesday, March 8, 2006
News Categories: iPod Accessories

imageMTX Audio has announced the iThunder, a new portable boom box for all dockable iPods. The iThunder features a built-in iPod cradle, internal amplifier, ported enclosure, and a set of 4” full range drivers. It also has a spring-action pop-up handle, wireless remote, and can run off AC power or eight C batteries. The iThunder will be available in white or black and will begin shipping during Q2 2006.

“The MTX iThunder is definitely not just another MP3 player boom box,” says the company. “What separates the iThunder is that it is designed from the ground up by MTX’s own team of highly skilled engineers. Which means it isn’t just another set of repackaged drivers thrown together by a computer speaker company or another no name brand. The iThunder features the same technologies and innovations that have made MTX a leader in home and car audio products for over thirty years.”

« Mix: Scrubs, iPope, One Voice, Cingular

iTunes Multi-Pass debuts; Daily Show, Colbert Report added »

Comments

SWEEEEET design!  1976 all over again!  LOVE it.

Posted by PushButtonAction in Atlanta, GA on March 8, 2006 at 8:37 AM (PDT)

MTX a leader? More like an okayer

Posted by Mark on March 8, 2006 at 9:50 AM (PDT)

Love the design, but I agree with Mark.  I don’t think MTX is really a leader.  That said, it could very well still sound great.  I would love to see someone walking down the street with this thing on their shoulder!!!

Posted by BrettB on March 8, 2006 at 10:22 AM (PDT)

Wow! The square corners and black/chrome trim make it look straight out of my high school days. Uh-oh - dating myself.

Posted by BradPDX in Portland, OR USA on March 8, 2006 at 10:24 AM (PDT)

I very familiar with MTX products. They do a good job with car audio. They make speakers and subs that have better than average quality. Though they aren’t leaders like they claim. I can name a few companies that have better quality around the same price range. I have high hopes for the iThunder though. If the price is right I’ll pick this up in a second. MTX usually makes a quality product.

Posted by Glorybox3737 on March 8, 2006 at 10:58 AM (PDT)

Hey, the 70’s called, they want their transister radio back…

Posted by John on March 8, 2006 at 1:55 PM (PDT)

This is old school…true to the boom box legend indeed, though, a little smaller.

Posted by Gordy. in Atlanta, GA on March 8, 2006 at 2:14 PM (PDT)

ive been waiting for this thing for years now.  people will eat this retro ghettoblaster stuff up!  everyone makes these “portable” ipod speaker systems, but none of them are ever actually designed to go some where (ipod hifi comes to mind)

Posted by chris thompson on March 8, 2006 at 2:30 PM (PDT)

I dont really like it that much. I was looking for a price and didn’t see one. If it was like, $20 then its fine!

Posted by LawnBoy on March 8, 2006 at 3:34 PM (PDT)

YEAH! The 70’s are back! It does even more with the eight C batteries. I like the design though.

Posted by mLopez on March 8, 2006 at 5:16 PM (PDT)

nice big pictures at the link. this is a nice product. a little more along the lines of what i expected to see from apple’s speakers. if this is price reasonably (which to me is 250 bucks or less) i think it has potential to do quite well.

Posted by nick on March 8, 2006 at 11:12 PM (PDT)

Superscope/Marantz must be shedding a nostalgic tear over this design. My younger sister had a portable radio that resembled this way back then. Shame about the ‘i’ naming thing, though; guess if one is going retro in styling it would be too much to expect originality in product naming as well.

Now if someone could only retro-do a JVC or a Realistic ghetto-blaster from the 1980s…now THAT indeed would be relivin’ heaven again (BREAK DANCE!).

As for Mitek: they’re a decent mid-market company in the car audio world, although plenty of snobs in that marketplace will talk up smack until Armageddon comes about the pitfalls of MTX. However I still like their xtant X-amp line a lot, even if at times it’s damned hard to fine tune and one really needs an SUV, wagon or big sedan to have enough room to properly house the stuff.

Posted by flatline response on March 9, 2006 at 12:32 AM (PDT)

on march 23 i attended the tony danza show here in nyc. dr. gadget was the guest we all recieved a free ipod and speaker system i sent it in and as of yet to receive anything. can you mabey help me with this. i am so looking forward to using your product. thank you for taking the time to read this. be well

Posted by nancy diaz on April 10, 2006 at 4:13 AM (PDT)

If you read the letter you mailed in, it states on the bottom that the offer is good from 4/23/06 to 5/23/06.  I was also in the audience that day.  It’s in big letters just under where you fill out your name and address.  PS: This isn’t even the MTX site so I’m not so sure you’ll get any response here.

Posted by megan on April 14, 2006 at 9:05 AM (PDT)

I have an Ithunder sample in my office.  It sounds incredible, is easy to use, a steal at $199

Posted by don on May 2, 2006 at 7:56 AM (PDT)

Hi! Will you ilounge folks be givin’ this a full review soon? Been waiting to hear more about it since first being advertised.  The simple addition of a “handle” over other “boomboxes” makes this a first, I think, let alone the suspicion that the audio will exceed the standard audio fare being made now.  As far as ushering in a new boombox era, well this might not fully do it, but I like thinking about pulling out the earbuds and I kinda like the style. Looking for a full review, though!  Thanks, hope you pick this up.

Posted by apha on May 7, 2006 at 4:58 PM (PDT)

I have heard the IThunder and it rocks!  Simply the best deal out there for an Ipod acessory period!!!!  You have to hear this thing!! Plays loud with great low end!

Posted by Ipod guy on May 7, 2006 at 8:24 PM (PDT)

Hi all, Glad everyone is so excited about the iThunder! It really is a great product. If you attended the Tony Danza show when the iThunder was on Dr. Gadget, be sure to send in those cards! We will start shipping them out after the close deadline on 5/23.

Posted by Andy with MTX on May 15, 2006 at 2:28 PM (PDT)

I have the MTX iThunder and it truly is a great speaker system.  I compared it to the Bose Sound Dock and the Klipsch IGroove and the MTS is just as good but much cheaper.  As for those who think MTX is not a leader, I disagree, I have been involved in the car audio world for many years and MTX is no mediocre quality brand, MTX is very well respected and often regarded by many who know car audio as one of the best brands for quality and reliability.

Posted by Brad on August 22, 2006 at 10:55 PM (PDT)

will the I thunder work on the iPhone 4s and pandora?

Posted by Irish on April 20, 2012 at 1:50 PM (PDT)