Munchkin offers iCrib sound system for babies | iLounge News

Munchkin offers iCrib sound system for babies

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Friday, October 20, 2006
News Categories: iPod Accessories

image

Munchkin recently added the iCrib sound system to its line of baby products. The iCrib attaches to baby cribs and features a cradle with inserts to fit the iPod and other MP3 players. The system also has a built-in nightlight and volume limiter, sleep timer, adjustable straps to fit on crib rails, and three modes (music only, lights only or both music and lights). “The iCrib lets you choose the music that soothes your baby to sleep—because some kids are a little bit country, and others a little bit of rock ‘n roll,” says Munchkin. The iCrib sells for $30.

« Contour debuts Showcase for 2G iPod nano

NanoMonster cases for iPod nano introduced »

Comments

Get ‘em while they’re young—really young.

Do parents these days do what is referred to as “parenting” and perhaps sing lullabies to their children?

Posted by FahrenheiPod 451 on October 20, 2006 at 8:58 AM (PDT)

It would be considered child abuse if I were to “sing” lullabies to my baby. smile

Posted by NewbieDad on October 20, 2006 at 9:43 AM (PDT)

Does anyone know if it allows you to have your iPod connected to the AC adapter while in the iCrib? I’ve got a iPod mini on its last battery legs that would be great for lullaby usage. And it would give me an excuse to upgrade to a video iPod to show off the baby photos smile

Posted by breegenie on October 20, 2006 at 10:02 AM (PDT)

If FahrenheiPod 451 thinks that playing music for infants and toddlers is poor parenting, all i can say is “Your poor children!” If you don’t have any kids yet you might want to think about not having any. If you do, here’s a little hint; Children love music in general and not just lullabys. Maybe FahrenheiPod 451 can sing Beethoven but I like to leave it to professional musicians.

Posted by T.S. on October 20, 2006 at 10:32 AM (PDT)

T.S. I was thinking the same thing.  I wouldn’t consider myself a bad parent for playing Mozart for my son.  I don’t think there are very many parents in the world now who can replicate classical music on their own anyways.

Posted by pandamonium5885 on October 20, 2006 at 10:52 AM (PDT)

I will conceive that it has a rational price-point.

Posted by FahrenheiPod 451 on October 20, 2006 at 11:25 AM (PDT)

When my daughter was a baby, as part of her routine to help her get to sleep I would read to her in the darkness, and then turn on a CD of lullabies.

Later, we made for her an iPod playlist of the classical music she had heard on things like the Baby Einstein series, or that we’d just listen to at dinner…she loves listening to it when we’re on an airplane.

I would have loved having a device such as this when she was an infant.

Posted by lkalliance on October 20, 2006 at 11:52 AM (PDT)

It’s April 1st, right?

Posted by proanim8r on October 20, 2006 at 12:28 PM (PDT)

Music is great, but children develop best—socially, mentally, emotionally—with the maximum amount of contact with humans. Study after study confirms this. Play some music, but do it WITH your child, not as a surrogate babysitter.

This goes double for TV/computers.

Posted by Damian on October 20, 2006 at 1:39 PM (PDT)

Great idea for the previous gen ipods laying around. (not in MY house,but I’m sure there are lots out there). Good price. As for the lack of parenting issue, sometimes you have to do what works. Mom and Dad may have other kids making noise and in need of parenting also and this could help the little ones relax.

Posted by Robert on October 20, 2006 at 2:56 PM (PDT)

I went and looked on their website (baby on the way grin ) and they have music to download, apparently free, of the ‘mozart for babies’ type.

Posted by PhilB on October 20, 2006 at 3:40 PM (PDT)

In regard to Damian’s comment, I have to ask if it’s really possible to use music as a surrogate babysitter? I’ve heard that said of TV and it makes sence considering how children tend to fixate on video screens. TV compels kids to sit in one place, which is quite a task and the reason it’s refered to as a surrogate babysitter. However, the idea that playing music for your child automaticly implies parental absence is absurd. Music does not require a child to sit and stare at the speaker. I listen to music with my child much more often then i play it for him. If Damien had read the previous posts a little more closely he might have noticed that we were primarily talking about music/lullabies at bed time (Presumably the time a child would most likely be using this product). Maybe Damien believes leaving his child ALONE with some music at bedtime is surrogate babysitting but some of us find it to be the perfect epilogue to a story before bed.

Posted by T.S. on October 20, 2006 at 5:48 PM (PDT)

T.S.,

Would you just happen to be an employee or affiliated in any manner with said product or establishment?

There is also another undiscussed reality here: What sound quality is available of a product at this price and size? Wouldn’t one be better playing music to their children from Apple’s iPod Hi-Fi, especially given those who prefer classical? After all, what would Sir Neville Marriner say of classical played on the iCrib?

Posted by FahrenheiPod 451 on October 20, 2006 at 6:51 PM (PDT)

Sorry FahrenheiPod 451, but I must confess to having absolutely no affiliation with this product or company. I didn’t mean to sound as if I were endorsing this product in particular, because I don’t know any more about it than you or anyone else who read this article. I was only speaking in defence of music’s importance in mine and my child’s lives.  As someone who recently quit work to be a stay-at-home dad, I have the advantage of being able to spend a great deal of time with my child. We listen to music (on my home stereo) during most of our daily routine. The Apple Hi-Fi is ok, but for that kind of money I require a little more stereo sepperation. It seems that the Hi-Fi’s claim to fame is fairly low distortion levels at high volume (For a portable). Blasting music, of any kind, in your childs ears is, in my opinion, abuse. This icrib certainly doesn’t look like it would have the best sound or stereo sepperation, but at $30.00 it would work just fine for the Chopan nocturnes that my son’s been falling asleep to lately. Piano doesn’t actualy sound that bad on small speakers.

Posted by T.S. on October 21, 2006 at 11:57 AM (PDT)

T.S.,

Fair enough, and I humbly extend my apologies. Your points are well taken, and well stated.

iCrib, for the money, and its concept, is a viable one; especially given all the meaningless products made for the iPod.

Posted by FahrenheiPod 451 on October 21, 2006 at 12:14 PM (PDT)

I had a music box that hitched onto my crib. What this does is give you a music box with an infinite playlist. However, that’s not exactly a good thing; listening to the SAME music every night at bedtime means that it’s bedtime. But if you change the music all the time, that doesn’t happen.

Posted by threemilechild on October 23, 2006 at 1:19 PM (PDT)

I play Metalica, Ozzie and Black Sabath for my infant and it works just fine. I’m buying one with my next check from the tattoo parlor.  My kid needs this. If they would just come up with something that connects the diaper to the Ipod to send a musical alarm instead of baby screams, that would be the icing on the cake.  Maybe change the diaper too.  That would really be rad.

Posted by metalbaby on October 25, 2006 at 9:25 AM (PDT)