Music disappears on iPod mini | iLounge News

Music disappears on iPod mini

A reader at MacFixit.com reports a never before heard of problem with his iPod mini. “I turned on my iPod mini this morning and all of my music was missing. I did not check my contacts and appointments. The notes I stored on it were still there. My guess is that the root directory on the thing lost a reference to the music directory, but I really don’t know how things are stored. The memory used when I plugged it into iTunes showed that all of the memory was still used up. Then I copied a song onto the iPod and the memory used showed that all the memory was free.” He goes on to speculate that plugging in his iTrip FM transmitter before turning on the mini may have caused the problem. If you’ve had a similar problem with or without the iTrip, please let us know.

« Shure E3 earphones for $148

iPod mini to boost Apple profit »

Comments

I had a similar problem on my iPod (non-mini), happened twice w/in a month, in fact. I tried to retrace my steps leading up to the problem, and the best I came up with was that I had the iPod docked while I executed the Shut Down command on the computer, and then a few minutes later, undocked it. This is just speculative though. I ended up having to do the factory reset thing, and copy the songs from scratch.

Posted by David Kenn on March 12, 2004 at 10:07 AM (PDT)

I had this problem with a second gen, i re booted it and all my music appeared again!

Posted by Jack on March 12, 2004 at 10:12 AM (PDT)

I had this same problem with my mini. I did a reboot (hold up and center for 5 seconds), and the files were once again visible.

Posted by steve on March 12, 2004 at 11:26 AM (PDT)

Slow news day when one person’s instance of iPod quirkiness becomes a front page headline smile

Posted by Nagromme on March 12, 2004 at 11:55 AM (PDT)

I had this problem when using XPlay 2.0 beta, and I think others have as well—stay away from it!

I never got back my playlists, but when I mounted my iPod using ephpod it was all there thankfully.

Posted by Chuck on March 12, 2004 at 12:39 PM (PDT)

This happened to me too.  I got a green mini from the costa mesa store, and on day 3 my 3.2 gigs suddenly vanished.  After running pod2go, I ejected the mini from iTunes and when it restarted there was nothing on it.  Zilch.  So I ended up dumping the tracks back into it & have run pod2go many times since.  Never happened again, but would have been a real pissah if I didn’t have the music stored elsewhere.

Posted by GSK on March 12, 2004 at 12:55 PM (PDT)

This is what happens when you unplug your iPod wihle running iTunes, or any other software that writes/reads from the iPod’s DB without first unmounting it.

Mac OS X, much like its UNIX roots, does not write to disks like windows: you save a file, it immediately writes to disk, you can pull the disk whenever it’s not in use. Instead, it uses a more efficient method, where when you save a file, it does not immediately write the file to the disk, but waits until a certain time limit expires, or when the disk is unmounted before it is written. Both methods have their advantages, where the former is good for those who forget to unmount, and the latter is good for those who read/write to a slow disk (floppy, for example) constantly.

Always unmount your iPod before unplugging it.

Posted by Sraphim on March 12, 2004 at 3:03 PM (PDT)

Same thing happened to me after doing an iTunes synch.  I reset the mini, then all the songs appeard again.

Posted by davsug on March 12, 2004 at 4:29 PM (PDT)

same prob, with a second gen 10 gig, ibook went to sleep with the ipod plugged to it,next morning, no songs or playlist on the ipod, but the memory was full,...
frantic search on the net for software that could retrieve the music from within the hidden folder…
eureka, tried a few, not to name a specific one, but it worked… once all the music was copied back to the ibook, reformatted the ipod,no more problem…

Posted by jf on March 12, 2004 at 4:54 PM (PDT)

FYI: Windows just like Unix, OS X, Linux and many other OSes use file caching. When you write to a disk it records this write in the memory, and later writes off the memory to disk. It has a tremendous speed increase, but it does require you to notify the OS before you physically remove the disk. Windows has had this functionality from Windows 1.0 (speeddisk, etc.).

Posted by pbox on March 12, 2004 at 4:59 PM (PDT)

I had the same problem with my Third Generation 10 gb iPod.  I ejected it properly and everything, once the charge was complete (through the wall mount) the songs were erased yet 100% of the memory was utilized.  I just restored the iPod and it worked fine for 1 week.  While walking to class I was playing the number one track of one of my albums which was ripped from the CD to AAC format using iTunes.  Once the song was over and it was time to switch to the next song, a loud squeek click noise played through the ear buds.  I saw the Apple logo and the iPod reset itself, there were no songs on the iPod but the memory was used up again.  Also, when the iPod reset itself, the battery was full.  I had just unplugged it from the wall adapter before I left.  After the reset the battery showed only a few hours left.  I left the iPod on for 30 minutes and it eventually turned off and wouldn’t turn back on until I plugged it back in to the wall adapter.  I later exchanged the iPod for a 15 gb third gen iPod.  Now my 15 gb iPod works perfectly, thank GOD.

Posted by XboxiPod on March 12, 2004 at 8:14 PM (PDT)

Sraphim writes

“Instead, it uses a more efficient method, where when you save a file, it does not immediately write the file to the disk, but waits until a certain time limit expires, or when the disk is unmounted before it is written.”

Sounds like the words of a typical Mac zealot to me.  What possible advantage could there be in having to manually unmount your disc every time you take it out?  It would be nice to hear an Apple zealot, just once, admit that a decision made by Apple was just pure boneheaded.

Posted by rdlink in Denver on March 13, 2004 at 8:13 AM (PDT)

rdlink,
“zealot?”
you must have just watched the passion.
clam down boy, mac peeps ain’t exactly militant.
I suggest throwing your crappy pc away & start over
with a….MAC

“walk towards the light, you’ve been in that killer fog way too long.”

Posted by mayor quimby on March 13, 2004 at 8:38 AM (PDT)

Mac = 600 % markup..gg

Posted by apple overpriced on March 13, 2004 at 10:09 AM (PDT)

Here we go with the debate again, MAC vs. PC.  For me PC is more econimically feasible while Apple iBooks offer functionality in a little package though the price outweighs the mass of the iBook.

Posted by whybother on March 13, 2004 at 8:03 PM (PDT)

how sad are you people that your arguing over lines of text. with a mac you get what you pay for - a hell of a lot for a hell of a lot. with a pc you gey what you pay for - a lell of a lot less for a hell of a lot less. take your pick

Posted by meatmcguffin on March 14, 2004 at 2:11 PM (PDT)

“with a mac you get what you pay for - a hell of a lot for a hell of a lot. with a pc you gey what you pay for - a lell of a lot less for a hell of a lot less. take your pick”

Don’t get me wrong, i’m an Apple fan, and am going to purchase a power book as my next computer.  However, I have yet to find something that a Mac can do which is impossible on a PC, software wise.  And forget about speed, PCs have all but the highest end Macs beat, and for a lot less money to boot.  The reason I like Apple is the build quality and design… but that shouldn’t make it SO much more expensive than similarly equipped PCs.  Apple needs to stop raping their loyal fans and lower their prices.

Posted by people are dumb on March 15, 2004 at 9:02 AM (PDT)

Hey People, Couldn’t agree more!

Posted by donzz on March 18, 2004 at 4:32 PM (PDT)

Okay i’ve had the same problem with my ipod mini, I bought a silver one a little over 2 months ago, no problems until now. I went to add a playlist on the mini, by hookin it up to my quicksilver powermac and nothing. I just played my songs from my car on the iTrip. I was pissed, no playlists, nothing. And it was reading as if my mini was full as if the songs were there?? I unmounted the ipod (never disconnected without unmounting) then mounted it back, and now the mini was saying it had nothing on it, as if all the songs and the hd were erased. So pissed off i reloaded all my songs (which took 2 hours) then unmounted and proceeded to leave, and low and behold, i checked the mini, and the whole 2 hours or work was gone, nothing. I am really peeved that its this easy to lose so much. HOW can i keep from this happening again. I tried to reset my mini when i got home hopin the songs would come back, but nothing? Anyone out there with suggestions?

Posted by scoop076 in St. Louis on June 13, 2004 at 8:50 AM (PDT)

My 2 day old mini ... same problems as described above (songs disappear for no reason).  Didn’t disconnect the mini when not supposed to, fully charged battery.

Seems like a common problem ....

Posted by usiw99 on June 25, 2005 at 10:48 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >