Music disappears on iPod mini | iLounge News

Music disappears on iPod mini

A reader at MacFixit.com reports a never before heard of problem with his iPod mini. “I turned on my iPod mini this morning and all of my music was missing. I did not check my contacts and appointments. The notes I stored on it were still there. My guess is that the root directory on the thing lost a reference to the music directory, but I really don’t know how things are stored. The memory used when I plugged it into iTunes showed that all of the memory was still used up. Then I copied a song onto the iPod and the memory used showed that all the memory was free.” He goes on to speculate that plugging in his iTrip FM transmitter before turning on the mini may have caused the problem. If you’ve had a similar problem with or without the iTrip, please let us know.

« Shure E3 earphones for $148

iPod mini to boost Apple profit »

Comments

I’ve had the same problem, too, with my 10GB 3G iPod. I don’t know about you guys but if this is going to be a regular occurence I don’t really think that’s fair.
Xboxipod - you said “I later exchanged the iPod for a 15 gb third gen iPod”
Did Apple replace your iPod for free or did you just buy a new one? I’m not willing to pay for a new one when this is clearly something wrong with the way the iPods are made.
I’m also going to be extremely pissed off if I have to reformat the iPod every few weeks.

So…what do we do?

Posted by Adam on June 29, 2005 at 5:34 AM (PDT)

30GB 3rd generation iPod has worked for 18 months, then my songs dissappeared! I updated the software to no avail, and everytine I launch iTunes with the pod connected, it crashes instantly. Any ideas before I wipe out all 5,500 songs?

Posted by Jeremy on June 29, 2005 at 3:57 PM (PDT)

I’ve had the missing music, on a 60G iPodPhoto. (it happened after shutting down my G4 mini while plugged into the USB port.)
reseting did brng back the music
I see the write caching discussion above shuold not apply. (P.S. I don’t like write caching it’s a stupd idea just get the data to the disk asap! both Mac’s and PC’s are bad at it!)

Posted by Mike Leonard on May 12, 2007 at 3:41 PM (PDT)

I have the same problem with my 5.5g 80gig. It stems from other problems, making it double delicious. when i try to view photos the iPod often freezes. a few minutes ago it froze as such for the 10th or so time in two days and i had to hard reset. When the GUI booted back up again, all the music and the movie i had copied were gone. The photos remained. They still take an age of man to load if a single one does at all. I bought my iPod three days ago and this is the second time it had deleted the archive. The first time it happened I had clicked to eject it from an iMac and the computer had told me it was no longer connected, yet the DND screen remained up on the iPod and would not go away, despite reloading itunes and then later restarting the computer with it still docked. when i unplugged it the screen remained, and a hard reboot removed the whole batch of data. In both instances the hard drive has remained occupied by the files. They are merely invisible. incidentally upon reconnecting it to the iMac I have to restore it before the computer will allow me to use it again.. Handy dandy little things these…

Posted by Sam Brady on May 18, 2007 at 2:37 AM (PDT)

I have a 6 month year ago Ipod 2g and random songs just disappear from it. I go to iTunes and all the songs are there. So I sync and nothing works. So I find out each individual song missing and end up deleting them from iTunes and importing and syncing them all over again. What should I do?

Posted by Yochana on August 4, 2007 at 1:07 PM (PDT)

i have a problem. on my ipod nano video and music are disappearing. i mean, there on my library but they’re not in the ipod. does anybody know what i should do?

Posted by michael sanders on February 3, 2009 at 8:13 PM (PDT)

this happened to me today for the first time, and my mini is soon to be 5 years old.

Posted by h0llister22x on July 12, 2009 at 9:31 PM (PDT)

guess what i had the smae prob but it hasn’t fixed!!!!!!!!!!!1every day about 5 songs delete oin my ipod but are there on my itunes and it is sop anoyin please email me for a solution .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Posted by chris on April 3, 2010 at 8:23 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2