Music Recommendation System for iTunes released | iLounge News

Music Recommendation System for iTunes released

The Music Recommendation System is an automated system that provides music recommendations specifically tailored to each user to find new music that they might like. This system, designed by students at the University of Illinois (Champaign-Urbana), operates by taking ratings from your own iTunes playlists and comparing them against other users who have used the recommendation system. Right now we have a very small number of users, and so the recommendations will most likely be laughable. However they will get better over time as more people enter into the system; meanwhile, enjoy while the numbers grow. Works on Mac or Windows.

What’s new in this version:

Mac version updated to 1.02: fixes crashes associated with sending ratings in Mac OS X 10.2

License: Freeware
System Requirements:
Mac: Mac OS X (10.2 or later) & iTunes (4.0 or later)
Windows: Microsoft .NET Framework (1.1 or later) & iTunes (4.0 or later)

« Did you replace your iPod earphones?

Lajo announces exo3mini for iPod mini »

Comments

musicplasma.com

- best site i’ve found for looking for new music recs. also uses an incredible GUI.

Posted by Aaron on April 7, 2004 at 6:54 AM (PDT)

Reminds me of the late, lamented AudioGalaxy - before it was sued into crapness by the RIAA it had the best recommendations engine ever. Contrary to what the RIAA thinks, I found out about a bunch of new artists while downloading songs there… and went and bought their music.

One of my favourite ones currently is GNOD - here’s its cluster of recommendations for Link Wray:

Posted by AudioGalaxy on April 7, 2004 at 8:54 AM (PDT)

useless to me. Still sounds like a good idea though.

Posted by Stasyna on April 7, 2004 at 10:13 AM (PDT)

It would be great for me if I had system 10.2, I only got 10.1.5.

Posted by WOLF MAN on April 7, 2004 at 2:57 PM (PDT)

As an alum of the UofI, I think this it’s really cool that this was developed there.

Posted by gordyhulten in Urbana, IL on April 7, 2004 at 6:07 PM (PDT)

Ive just sent off my ratings and my estimated time for results is 19 Hours, 59 minutes and 2 seconds…..

Posted by Anarchi5t on April 8, 2004 at 2:02 AM (PDT)

Now Ive given up and logged out I tried to log back in but the server has already lost my account information and everytime I press close it says my account has not been found then restarts iTMRS so now it wont close.

How many things have been released around iTunes/iPod then been hit with an unexpected amount of hits and the server gives up. This is obviously gonna be visited alot and use alot of bandwidth you would think they would of thought about the server before releasing the software.

Good concept but one I wont be using…

Posted by Anarchi5t on April 8, 2004 at 2:08 AM (PDT)

I registered but it says Error/Bad Password/Username .... WTF

Posted by AZ on April 8, 2004 at 7:00 AM (PDT)

I can’t even get it to send the ratings from my windows machine.  Hopefully they’ll get it worked out.

Posted by prth8machine in Ann Arbor, MI on April 8, 2004 at 7:02 AM (PDT)

Wow, this would be good if it weren’t for the log in/on bugs and the massive wait times. Looking at the forums, people have been waiting for the good part of a day to find out it doesnt even work. 15-20 hours…

Posted by R.James on April 8, 2004 at 3:44 PM (PDT)

I just tried the 1.01 version for Windows, which tells me “Bad XML data received.  This probably means your data is not all unicode.”

Thanks.

Definitely, they have some bugs to iron out.

Posted by John on April 8, 2004 at 5:43 PM (PDT)

Tried it, and the wait time just kept increasing from 9 hours, to 10…11…and so on. Then it logged me out and I can’t log back in. Obviously this experiment wasn’t meant for use by the iPod “masses”.

Posted by Matt on April 8, 2004 at 8:59 PM (PDT)

Baleeted!

Posted by HSR on April 9, 2004 at 4:04 PM (PDT)

AudioScobbler, [url=http://www.audioscrobbler.com]http://www.audioscrobbler.com[/url]

“Audioscrobbler is a computer system that builds up a detailed profile of your musical taste. After installing an Audioscrobbler Plugin, your computer sends the name of every song you play to the Audioscrobbler Server.

With this information, the Audioscrobbler server builds you a ‘Musical Profile’. Statistics from your Musical Profile are shown on your Audioscrobbler User Page, available for everyone to view. ”

Posted by Simon on April 12, 2004 at 9:51 AM (PDT)