Music store offers iPods for CD trade-ins | iLounge News

Music store offers iPods for CD trade-ins

Millennium Music, an independent music store in Charleston, South Carolina, allows customers to trade in their old CDs for an iPod. You can drop off your CDs at one of two locations or ship your collection to the store. The CDs credits will be judged on physical quality and quality of title. In addition, if a customer doesn’t have enough CDs, the difference can be made up with cash.

Millennium’s CD to iPod converstion table:
45 CDs = 512MB iPod shuffle
65 CDs = 1GB iPod shuffle
85 CDs = 2GB iPod nano
110 CDs = 4GB iPod nano
130 CDs = 30GB video iPod
175 CDs = 60GB video iPod

« Mix: Sony BMG, iPodResQ, Mini tee, Ice fishing

iPod tops brand survey »

Comments

marcnkarin,

Hope this works as it’s an interesting concept. FYI…I sent them an email with some specifics around the program and did not get a response.

Posted by Lorin on January 4, 2006 at 4:43 PM (CST)

marcnkarin,
I am in the process of purging my collection also. Out of what you sent in were disc sets, and dvds? I have about 400 and will be thinning in half. I’ll also send about 12 dvds.

Has anyone else done this or tried? If anyone else tried this please pst your results…

Posted by Derf on January 6, 2006 at 2:34 AM (CST)

I sent in mine via USPS for $19. I sent 131 CD’s + 7 DVD’s looking for a 30GB ipod.  I’ll post again and let you know the results.

Posted by Verblej on January 7, 2006 at 8:05 PM (CST)

Verblej-Thanks for posting.

marcnkarin-Any word on what you have sent?

Posted by Derf on January 9, 2006 at 12:45 AM (CST)

I have also sent a portion of my collection. I was off today so I figured why not. I have shipped 165 CD’s, 17 DVD’s. Out of this listing were approx 12 multi disc sets. I have shipped by UPS ground-$35.00. The package was at 35lbs. It is scheduled to arrive on Friday the 13th. I will also post my results.

Posted by Derf on January 9, 2006 at 5:43 PM (CST)

Correction on the ship weight-50lbs.

Posted by Derf on January 9, 2006 at 5:45 PM (CST)

I just sent off a box—181 CDs. I’m going for the VPod, obviously. I sent it USPS for $28.00, including insurance. I’ll post results as I get them. Cross your fingers!

Posted by hartvan on January 10, 2006 at 2:29 PM (CST)

I just checked the shipping status:

GREENSBORO,  NC,  US
01/10/2006 8:25 P.M.  DEPARTURE SCAN

Posted by Derf on January 10, 2006 at 8:43 PM (CST)

sent my CDs out last Tuesday, they recieved them Thursday, they called me and got my iPod out the same day.  I recieved the iPod today. Very good transaction and quicker then i expected. I sent 140 CD and 10 DD which got me the 30 GB iPod.  My CD were not in the greatest shape as many of them were from my blurry collage days.  Only problem i had is they sent me a white one instead of a black one. To me this is not really a big deal as it is still nice looking, but to some it might be a gigantic problem.  I am sure they would of exchanged it with one call.

Posted by marcnkarin on January 10, 2006 at 9:40 PM (CST)

marcnkarin-glad to hear it was a success for you! I too sent my college days cd’s. I hope I have the same results.

Posted by Derf on January 10, 2006 at 10:08 PM (CST)

My shipment was received at 11:22am eastern time. I received a call from Millennium Music at 1:40pm central time. I was informed that I can have a 30gig but would need additional cd’s or pay $115 for the 60gig. I paid the $115. There were some obscure, EP’s, single CD’s in the shipment. There were also some cd’s with surface scratches and cracked jewel cases. The ipod was shipped same day. I had it shipped to work so I can sign for it. I will let everyone know when it arrives.

Posted by Derf on January 12, 2006 at 12:31 AM (CST)

Helpful Hint- Don’t send via USPS Parcel Post.  Package still hasn’t arrived yet and sent on January 6th.  I think they deliver via Donkey.

Posted by Verblej on January 14, 2006 at 8:51 AM (CST)

Sent 146 CDs and 25 DVDs all in good shape in my mind. They called and said I would need pay $110 more or take a 30 GB.  The 30 GB is on the way.

Posted by VernDude on January 14, 2006 at 8:22 PM (CST)

Just checked the UPS tracking-My ipod is less than 30 miles away. Package needs to go to regional distribution center next for delivery at work. Hopefully it will go there tomorrow.

Posted by Derf on January 14, 2006 at 11:39 PM (CST)

Verndude,
When did they contact you?  My package arrived Saturday morning 8:33AM, but I have not yet heard from them.  I’m assuming they don’t work weekends?

Verblej

Posted by Verblej on January 15, 2006 at 8:11 PM (CST)

Okay, I’m getting a little nervous.  My CD’s were confirmed as delivered by the USPS on Saturday morning, 1/14.  I contacted Millenium around noon today and he said that he did not see my package but would look around and call me back.  He also said that they did not work weekends in the ipod trade dept.  It is now almost 5pm EST and no return call as of yet.  I’ll let you know what happens…

Posted by Verblej on January 16, 2006 at 4:42 PM (CST)

Verblej
They got my shipment on a Wed. morning and called me on a Fri. afternoon.  It took them two and a half days to get back to me.

Posted by VernDude on January 16, 2006 at 5:36 PM (CST)

Verndude,

Thanks.  Looks like I need to be patient.  Everyone else who reported seemed to get a really quick turnaround.  Maybe they are getting swamped?

Posted by Verblej on January 16, 2006 at 5:47 PM (CST)

The word must be getting around as my transaction was done in a few hours.

Verblej: did they find your CDs?

Posted by marcnkarin on January 17, 2006 at 10:46 AM (CST)

They found my CD’s.  The Post Office screwed up and marked it as delivered when it was still on a truck.  Note: Originally when they thought my shipment was lost, they had said they would do what was needed to make the situation right (within reason).  My CD’s were delivered today.  I had about 60 CD’s that got half credit.  End result is I owed $62.50 for a 30GB ipod video (including shipping).  I’m happy!  He is checking on stock for the black one, as it is presently “out” so I may be waiting a couple weeks which is not a problem.  I highly recommend doing business with these guys.  They said that their business has picked up dramatically since the press from iLounge.  There was about 30 boxes on the truck with mine today.

Posted by Verblej on January 17, 2006 at 3:46 PM (CST)

Page 2 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3 >