Musicmatch warns iPod users of iTunes conflict | iLounge News

Musicmatch warns iPod users of iTunes conflict

Several readers note that Musicmatch has sent an email regarding a serious software conflict with iTunes for Windows.

“As a valued Musicmatch customer and iPod user, we want to alert you to a serious software conflict caused by iTunes for Windows.

Apple iTunes for Windows prevents Musicmatch

Complete email:

Dear Musicmatch Customer,

Apple iTunes for Windows prevents Musicmatch

Comments

It would have been great if I had this information 36 hours sooner. My I-POD crashed and died!
How is this fatal lack of integration between Apple and one of their supposed partners included in the initial set up disc?

Posted by Headbang in NY on November 3, 2003 at 2:32 PM (CST)

Microsoft-like tactics.

Posted by Albert on November 3, 2003 at 3:32 PM (CST)

Who would want to use that MusicMatch garbage with an iPod now that iTunes is available anyway?

Posted by Danny on November 3, 2003 at 3:33 PM (CST)

If what they say is true, that’s a pretty bad strong-arm tactics by Apple.

Posted by Andre on November 3, 2003 at 3:59 PM (CST)

I got lucky if this is the case. I uninstalled MM before installing iTunes cuz I was paranoid that there may be a problem. I had a hunch that the two programs wouldn’t like eachother.

is this true? are people having problems?

Posted by Renee on November 3, 2003 at 4:13 PM (CST)

...there are actually people that still use that software called “musicmatch” !?! WOW!

Posted by riceboi on November 3, 2003 at 4:24 PM (CST)

Good lesson in waiting before installing new software. I want to like Apple and iTunes but it screwed up MusicMatch in the process and iTunes didn’t offer everything I wanted. So it made me very angry to have to reinstall MM (as well as some Regedit deletions) just to revert back to what it was. Say what you like about MM, but it was very rude of Apple to make an installer that trashed the app of its once useful partner.

Posted by Ian on November 3, 2003 at 4:33 PM (CST)

Apple software iTunes doesn’t erase files on the iPod. I use other apps and they work together with iTunes on PC site. On a mac you can use several apps to acces the iPod and manage file.

The file-structure on the iPod is a normal files-structure that could be accessed by any application.

So I think this problem is caused by MusicMatch. They use a bad hack to acces the iPod files. So when iTunes is installed it initialise the iPod and write the normal open file-structure. This will cause MusicMatch software to be unable to read the iPod.

And maybe by the hack of MusicMatch iPod could be screwed up. (If you connect the iPod to the computer and get iPod installation software you should be able to reset the ipod. If it doesn’t work you could try a hardware reset. Holding play and menu button, have the iPod connect to you pc for best result)

So they do this to harm iTunes Music Store and iTunes usage, they should just update their software and not blame the maker of the iPod.

I hope this is clear (my english is poor)

Posted by dopy on November 3, 2003 at 4:33 PM (CST)

Makes sense since Apple’s itunes and Dell’s partnership with Musicmatch to sell music online are major competitors.  Looks like we have to chose, like with everything else…

Posted by Josh on November 3, 2003 at 5:28 PM (CST)

IT IS true.. I suffered it. Lost 11gb of music.

F%#@ iTunes, D3#$@ MM!

BTW, did rcvd the MM mail AFTER my iPod was reformated.

Posted by guillermo on November 3, 2003 at 5:37 PM (CST)

This sounds like a hysterical ploy to keep iPod/MusicMatch users from just dropping MusicMatch in favor of iTunes (which has a much more easy to use/understand interface).

On the flip side, how do you safely uninstall Music Match so it doesn’t harm your iPod->iTunes love? ... after you have already installed iTunes. Can you just safely unistall it, or does it hose itunes?

Posted by bucky on November 3, 2003 at 5:44 PM (CST)

This happened to me, too.  (I have Windows XP)  I followed the directions to uninstall itunes and Musicmatch and then reinstalled Musicmatch.  However, when I plugged my iPod in, I got a message stating, “(my) ipod is setup to automatically synchronize with a library from a different computer.  Synchronizing (my) ipod now will replace all of the content on (my) ipod with the content from this computer’s library”.

If I hit “okay” does this mean that the music I originally had in my Musicmatch library (before I installed itunes) will be added again, or will I lose everything I had previously stored in my Musicmatch Library?

Thank you in advance for your responses.

Posted by ellincl on November 3, 2003 at 5:57 PM (CST)

psh. who would honestly WANT to use music match anyway? That application is horrible. If people are upset with apple, id suggest Anapod Explorer by Red Chair Software. Muuuuuuuuuch better than music match.

Heres the error right here in line one:

1) DO NOT install iTunes for Window on your PC if you are using Musicmatch Jukebox and wish to continue using Musicmatch Jukebox with your iPod.

“and wish to continue using…” hahhahahha ;)

Posted by sych0 on November 3, 2003 at 5:58 PM (CST)

Here is a simple solution.. delete Music Match

Posted by bababooey on November 3, 2003 at 6:08 PM (CST)

Its worth it to have MM’s super tagging capabilities, not to mention free. Being able to do a mass search for untagged mp3’s is incredible.

For transfering playlist’s and mp3’s anapod is almost seamless through windows.

iTunes is good for its online store, but for playing music winamp is quicker and just as easy.

Posted by Lance on November 3, 2003 at 6:20 PM (CST)

sychO…

Not the point. The point is having the choice, and Apple not informing the user that it is about to hose an installed application.

Interesting how its OK for Apple to do this, but if MS did it….flame city….

Posted by jimlat on November 3, 2003 at 6:25 PM (CST)

Dudes, relax! Have a cold one.

You are not going to lose any music. The file with the MP3s is still there from MM. Allow iTunes to find all the songs on you hard drive and they will show up. If I were you, I wouldnt uninstall MM until iTunes   finds all the music.
To the guy who said he lost 11gigs of music. How, could you lose those songs. Did you trash the files yourself? Once iTunes reformats the iPod it will reinstall all the songs. Unless those songs were never on you computer in the first place!!!! wink-wink
If you did have those songs on the computer, go find them - there somewhere

Posted by Pope on November 3, 2003 at 6:29 PM (CST)

bucky, it means what you have in your music library on your computer will overwrite what you have on your iPod. If all your music was stored on your computer in the first place, it will simply overwrite the data on the iPod with the exact same songs. Because you are using different software that what was originally used to sync with the iPod, it sees it as a different computer.

Posted by RayCon on November 3, 2003 at 6:31 PM (CST)

I like the Mac, but I really cant stand Apple’s dirty tactics. I could write a sizable article on how many of Apples “updates” or “installers” were really nothing more than trojan horses. Just a couple examples : the “security update” that disabled any RAM that you didnt buy from Apple, and the “Critical System Patch” that disabled any G3 systems that had been upgraded with a third party G4 card. Theres a long list of them.
One thing I learned a long time ago was never ever download anything from Apple, until you hear about and are willing to deal with the consequences.

Posted by A Mac User on November 3, 2003 at 6:54 PM (CST)

I allways had the highest reguard for apple and its fine products. Its products are really fine stuff. To bad they have a complex. That itunes for windows was a really cheap shot.

Posted by Slick on November 3, 2003 at 7:12 PM (CST)

Page 1 of 4 pages  1 2 3 >  Last ›