Musicmatch warns iPod users of iTunes conflict | iLounge News

Musicmatch warns iPod users of iTunes conflict

Several readers note that Musicmatch has sent an email regarding a serious software conflict with iTunes for Windows.

“As a valued Musicmatch customer and iPod user, we want to alert you to a serious software conflict caused by iTunes for Windows.

Apple iTunes for Windows prevents Musicmatch® Jukebox from working with the iPod by deleting critical files used by Musicmatch. If you install iTunes, you will not be given a choice between Musicmatch Jukebox and iTunes - Apple makes this choice for you.

To avoid any problems and to get the best possible experience when managing your MP3 collection and transferring music to your iPod, here is what we recommend:”

Complete email:

Dear Musicmatch Customer,

1) DO NOT install iTunes for Window on your PC if you are using Musicmatch Jukebox and wish to continue using Musicmatch Jukebox with your iPod.

2) If you have already installed iTunes for Windows but want to continue using Musicmatch Jukebox, please follow these steps:

·  Disconnect the iPod from your computer if it is still connected
  ·  Double click on ‘My Computer’
  ·  Double click on ‘Control Panel’
  ·  Open ‘Add or Remove Programs’
  ·  Select and uninstall ‘iTunes’
  ·  Select and uninstall the ‘iPod for Windows’ item
  ·  Select and uninstall the ‘Musicmatch iPod Plugin’ item
  ·  Select and uninstall the ‘iPod System Software Update’ or any other iPod related items that might be listed
  ·  Select and uninstall ‘Musicmatch Jukebox’
  ·  Close the ‘Add or Remove Programs’ control panel
  ·  Restart your computer
  ·  Delete the contents of the iPod directory by dragging the files to the Recycle Bin and then emptying the Recycle Bin
  ·  Navigate to the ‘program filesMusicmatchMusicmatch Jukebox’ folder
  ·  Delete the files, but not the folder, in the Musicmatch Jukebox folder
  ·  Reinstall Musicmatch Jukebox from the installation CD that came with your iPod or     download the iPod software from the following URL: http://www.musicmatch.com/download/free/?OS=pc&OEM=APPLE
  ·  When finished, reboot your computer
  ·  When the computer finishes rebooting, connect the iPod to your system
  ·  Open Musicmatch Jukebox

If you continue to experience problems or have any questions about this issue, please do not hesitate to contact Musicmatch Customer Support at http://www.musicmatch.com/form/support/index.htm

We hope you have the best possible music experience with the world’s most popular jukebox software - Musicmatch Jukebox.

Thank you.
The Musicmatch Team

« Lajo Releases New Xskn Case

Billboard: iTunes faces hurdles in Europe »

Comments

Umm, hello, Apple is the company that makes the iPod, so obviously they’re going to make their device work only with their software when you install iTunes.  Besides, MusicMatch is crap anyway and if you have an iPod, you’re a ##### if you want to use it with MusicMatch anymore anyway.

And no, installing iTunes will not erase or otherwise cause you to lose any of your music!  Try importing your music from your hard drive into iTunes and then re-syncing the iPod!  How else did you get your music on the iPod in the first place if you don’t have it on your hard drive already anyway??  Some people need to try reading the instructions if they run into problems every once in a while, that’s why they write them.

Posted by Snake on November 3, 2003 at 5:19 PM (PDT)

I installed iTunes and then remove Musicmatch…  no problem whatsoever.

Posted by ywwong on November 3, 2003 at 5:52 PM (PDT)

I don’t think this is of any use because of the fact that musicmatch is such a horrid piece of software anyway. Compared to iTunes, it is nothing.

If you go into the forums and read the posts that were made during the summer bemoaning the windows iPods, you’ll find that most of them are complaining about Musicmatch. Now that iTunes is out, I fail to see why anybody would want to MM with their iPod.

Posted by Sraphim on November 3, 2003 at 6:27 PM (PDT)

Pretty bad of apple not to warn anyone but the musicmatch software sucks a big root and you are bettr off with the itunes software I know from experience with it.

Posted by C Edens on November 3, 2003 at 6:41 PM (PDT)

I was using MusicMatch and then installed iTunes before uninstalling MMJB. No problems, no lost music, no crashing. Musicmatch is making a big brouhaha over nothing in an attempt to gain some publicity now that the only valid use for their piece-of-#### software has been eradicated.

Posted by ketsugi on November 3, 2003 at 6:48 PM (PDT)

can someone tell me exactly why music match sucks?  i have only had my iPod for a day and haven’t had a great deal of time to play with it.  i didn’t mind MM and mainly just downloaded iTunes for the iTunes store (to buy some music).  now that i have to make a choice between the two, it would would be nice to know why people hate MM so much.

Posted by linds on November 3, 2003 at 7:27 PM (PDT)

I don’t think the issue is that MusicMatch is such a horrid jukebox application; it isn’t. What is is *not* is a terrific companion app for the Apple iPod. Just the playlist management features working so seamlessly between iTunes and the iPod instantly obsoletes MM… for use with an iPod. So, the question is really, “AS AN IPOD OWNER, why would anyone consider using a 3rd party generic jukebox of *any* type, and not take advantage of using iTunes, instead?”

I don’t get it.

Posted by Jack Campbell on November 3, 2003 at 7:56 PM (PDT)

Thank god Apple disables MusicMatch!  That software is GARBAGE!  The only reason (Besides money at the time..) I didn’t get an iPod was that there was no iTunes and the horrible thoughts of trying to use that MusicMatch garbage!

Apple, thank you for saving souls.  Let that bloatware piece of crap rot in hell!

Posted by Chris Epler on November 3, 2003 at 8:05 PM (PDT)

Seriously.. I understand some of the MMJB comments.  It is not “pretty”, nor “simple”, but features such as suppertagging make it an awesome tool for music file mgmt.  As far as iPod compatability, iTunes has it owns problems.  I’ve not been able to get iTunes to work correctly (for sync). And don’t blame my PC…  ephPod works GREAT!  So there is no mysterious firewire problem on my PC or the other apps would be having problems also.  I like iTunes, great UI, and hope I can fix my problems.  But MMJB has it’s own attributes and for hardcore music junkies I think it is excellent.  Some folks on this board should give it a try.. it is very powerful.

Posted by Kent on November 3, 2003 at 8:51 PM (PDT)

Oh… also… I do believe that Apple did “remove” critical files for MMJB to interface with the iPod as it clearly warns the user that if you install iTunes you lose capability to interface MMJB with iPod.  Point is it should have been an OPTION… why not be able to use iTunes for shopping and mmjb for music mgmt and iPod synch?

Posted by Kent on November 3, 2003 at 8:53 PM (PDT)

Since Apple CLEARLY gives a warning that if the user installs iTunes that they lose the capability to interface MusicMatch with the iPod, then Apples is giving an OPTION…if you want to use MusicMatch with your iPod don’t install iTunes.  It’s that simple.

But, why would you not install iTunes?  It’s made by the same company that makes the iPod.  This isn’t rockt science.

I hated MusicMatch.  I couldn’t wait until iTunes for Windows came out.  And, I installed iTunes before deleting MusicMatch without any problems.

Posted by Jim on November 3, 2003 at 9:35 PM (PDT)

I didn’t see the ‘CLEARLY’ bit! A ‘Read Me’ file before prior to installation would have been preferable instead of the small print leagalese that I admit I didn’t read.
But it has to be said that very few (ANY?) programs actively disable the operation of another when you install them. That’s what I didn’t like.

Posted by Ian on November 3, 2003 at 10:05 PM (PDT)

Ian you should take care to read a little slower because that warning is the first thing that comes up in the iTunes installation. It’s only a few sentences and the MMJB warning is right at the top.
There is no ReadMe file since the setup arrives as a self-uncompressing package.
The warning was there - right before the option to avoid auto-sync.

Posted by Chris Matchett on November 3, 2003 at 10:59 PM (PDT)

You’re all wrong.  J. River Media Center kicks both their #####.  smile

Posted by Albert on November 4, 2003 at 12:16 AM (PDT)

installed I-Tunes, deleted MusicMatch.  No Problem.  I agree with others, why use MM when you have I-Tunes available??

Posted by dawg in US on November 4, 2003 at 5:25 AM (PDT)

Apple should counter by changing their home page: “Music Match…the WORST Windows app ever!”

Posted by jcs on November 4, 2003 at 5:29 AM (PDT)

The only reason Apple could have ever partnered with MusicMatch was to ensure that all of the iPod users would then switch to iTunes when it was released for Windows.  I’ve been using iTunes since it came out and it’s an absolutely wonderful program, I would say the best MP3 software for playing and organizing in the market at this time.

Posted by Joey C on November 4, 2003 at 5:47 AM (PDT)

Pope… I DO have a back up of my music.

Put your “wink-wink” in the best place you can find. What I tried to do is to warn users of a very unfair practice from “our beloved”
Apple company which doesn’t let you choose between iTunes and the soft that THEY provided. And yes, the music on my iPod was in fact lost. ITunes did not find it again on the iPod because… IT reformated.
And as you may know, when an HD is reformated, unless you’re from the FBI or use some not legal soft, the data is lost.
In any case, thank you MM for warn us!
SHAME ON YOU APPLE!

PS: Yes, iTunes IS beautiful, but still needs tunning, at least for the PC version.

Posted by guillermo on November 4, 2003 at 5:53 AM (PDT)

Hmm. I didnt have any problem with musicmatch, just with that ipod updater software, I had to uninstall that before itunes would run properly.

Posted by JC on November 4, 2003 at 6:41 AM (PDT)

I think most of you guys have missed the point of the MMJB email warning. They are not claiming that you should use one programme or the other (granted - they would prefer you to use MMJB), they simply want you to be able to choose what software you use with your iPod. And as the email says ‘Apple make that choice for you’.  I agree that iTunes is much better than MMJB (apart from the bugs) - but Apple should not make that choice for anybody! I am surprised that upon install - iTunes asked whether I wanted Quicktime as default movie player and didn’t set it as regardless.

Posted by gobes on November 4, 2003 at 6:57 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 4 pages  <  1 2 3 4 >