Musicmatch warns iPod users of iTunes conflict | iLounge News

Musicmatch warns iPod users of iTunes conflict

Several readers note that Musicmatch has sent an email regarding a serious software conflict with iTunes for Windows.

“As a valued Musicmatch customer and iPod user, we want to alert you to a serious software conflict caused by iTunes for Windows.

Apple iTunes for Windows prevents Musicmatch® Jukebox from working with the iPod by deleting critical files used by Musicmatch. If you install iTunes, you will not be given a choice between Musicmatch Jukebox and iTunes - Apple makes this choice for you.

To avoid any problems and to get the best possible experience when managing your MP3 collection and transferring music to your iPod, here is what we recommend:”

Complete email:

Dear Musicmatch Customer,

1) DO NOT install iTunes for Window on your PC if you are using Musicmatch Jukebox and wish to continue using Musicmatch Jukebox with your iPod.

2) If you have already installed iTunes for Windows but want to continue using Musicmatch Jukebox, please follow these steps:

·  Disconnect the iPod from your computer if it is still connected
  ·  Double click on ‘My Computer’
  ·  Double click on ‘Control Panel’
  ·  Open ‘Add or Remove Programs’
  ·  Select and uninstall ‘iTunes’
  ·  Select and uninstall the ‘iPod for Windows’ item
  ·  Select and uninstall the ‘Musicmatch iPod Plugin’ item
  ·  Select and uninstall the ‘iPod System Software Update’ or any other iPod related items that might be listed
  ·  Select and uninstall ‘Musicmatch Jukebox’
  ·  Close the ‘Add or Remove Programs’ control panel
  ·  Restart your computer
  ·  Delete the contents of the iPod directory by dragging the files to the Recycle Bin and then emptying the Recycle Bin
  ·  Navigate to the ‘program filesMusicmatchMusicmatch Jukebox’ folder
  ·  Delete the files, but not the folder, in the Musicmatch Jukebox folder
  ·  Reinstall Musicmatch Jukebox from the installation CD that came with your iPod or     download the iPod software from the following URL: http://www.musicmatch.com/download/free/?OS=pc&OEM=APPLE
  ·  When finished, reboot your computer
  ·  When the computer finishes rebooting, connect the iPod to your system
  ·  Open Musicmatch Jukebox

If you continue to experience problems or have any questions about this issue, please do not hesitate to contact Musicmatch Customer Support at http://www.musicmatch.com/form/support/index.htm

We hope you have the best possible music experience with the world’s most popular jukebox software - Musicmatch Jukebox.

Thank you.
The Musicmatch Team

« Lajo Releases New Xskn Case

Billboard: iTunes faces hurdles in Europe »

Comments

It also rendered Xplay useless. If Microsoft had created an app that does this stuff - they would be in trouble for monopolising!

Posted by gobes on November 4, 2003 at 7:02 AM (PDT)

> You’re all wrong. J. River Media Center kicks both their #####. smile

YEAH!

Listening to people argue between MMJB and iTunes is like watching a cripple fight. Media Center blows away both of them, no doubt about it.

Posted by django on November 4, 2003 at 7:09 AM (PDT)

No interest is jumping in this debate but just wanted to let guillermo know there are legal means to recover data from formatted drives and you don’t need to be in law enforcement to do it.  http://www.runtime.org/gdb.htm  is an example.
Works terrific and I have used to recover many many gigs of data off of failed drives.
There are other software products as well. But I will admit how well this would work on an iPod I am not sure.

As for formatting the iPod to use iTunes I had to do the same when I switched to MC9. Different apps use different database structures to store music on the ‘Pod. Formatting is a necessary evil in most cases if you want to switch music management apps.
If you have a backup you didn’t lose anything. You just have to sync your iPod again which is the reason for an app such as iTunes in the first place no?

Posted by SpideyXP on November 4, 2003 at 7:21 AM (PDT)

Personal Choice is what we should be fighting for. Some people like different programs for different reasons. For example: django likes Media Center - whilst I think Xplay is better (because it does different things). If I installed Media Center though I wouldn’t expect it to kill Xplay! How dare iTunes come marching on to my Machine waving an Apple flag and telling me how to use my PC? I want to make a point and not use iTunes - but I like it too much.

Posted by gobes on November 4, 2003 at 7:23 AM (PDT)

I think MMJB have sour grapes over losing the iPod bundle which is why they’ve been referring to the term ‘choice’ a lot

Posted by Chris Matchett on November 4, 2003 at 8:18 AM (PDT)

In the beginning when I first got my 3G Ipod I only installed the necessary file to get my Ipod started, I didn’t install MMJB, I found Ephpod instead and I used that for my Ipod. No need to hassle with Itunes nor MMJB. Ephpod does lack some special functions compared to Anapod Explorer. Ephpod does the job for me all in all. Just my 2 cents.

Posted by NelLy on November 4, 2003 at 8:32 AM (PDT)

These posts are why people hate mac users and apple in general.

These mindless drones are completely incapable of thinking an independant thought about the company. There opinion is that whatever apple does is indisputedly the only logically and morally correct thing that ever could have been done at any time in the history of the universe. Apple could shoot them in the back, and they’d rationalise that this was the best thing that could have happened. Because hey, if they werent in the hospital they might get run over by a truck or something.

All of you brain dead morons make me sickened to be part of the human race.

Posted by A Hairless Ape on November 4, 2003 at 8:37 AM (PDT)

I agree with the iTunes users out there. Why use another 3rd party product when iTunes was made specifically for the iPod? I’m an ex-Mac user who has turned to PC and wouldn’t go back to using a Mac - there are some things I don’t like about iTunes for PC but there are a lot of things I don’t like about Anapod (who keep releasing newer versions every 2 hours!), MMJB, Ephpod and all the others ... think about it, who else has a FREE app that plays your MP3s, organises & encodes them AND has a music store? iTunes isn’t a 30-day trial app and I think it encodes MP3s better than most apps out there.

Posted by ex-Mac-G33K on November 4, 2003 at 9:11 AM (PDT)

I don’t care if Music Match is the worst piece of software on this earth (which it surely isn’t).
BUT
To have another software installation (iTunes) trash a previously instralled application is totally ridiculious!

Shame on you Apple!

Posted by Brian Fenner on November 4, 2003 at 9:35 AM (PDT)

The guys who made MusicMatch got kicked in the Apples.

That was hilarious.

Posted by meatmcguffin on November 4, 2003 at 10:18 AM (PDT)

Prior to installing iTunes for Windows, I had nothing but admiration for Apple.  While primarily a PC user, I was always impressed with their hardware and software innovations.  Now I see that they are no better than Microsoft.  While I believe that iTunes is a quality app in terms of features/functionality, I also believe that it’s a horrible app in terms of it’s install and deletion tactics.  It’s really quite a shame that Apple is so unethical.

Posted by mmm...donuts on November 4, 2003 at 10:26 AM (PDT)

I am just bummed that apple would cut off other apps.  I downloaded a cool program that let me sync my calendar and phone book directly from my palm desktop to my ipod, but it doesn’t work w/ipod (because it no longer shows as a drive) when itunes is installed.

I have uninstalled itunes. Bummed, but will make best use of other resources available.

Posted by detroiterinnyc on November 4, 2003 at 11:55 AM (PDT)

UNTIL iTUNES HAVE SUPPER TAGGING, ITS NO MATCH AGAINST MUSICMATCH.  Thats just my tiny opinion….....thanks grin

Posted by Roan on November 4, 2003 at 12:53 PM (PDT)

iTunes and MusicMatch WILL coexist on the same PC, but only one (iTunes) will be able to sync with iPod. I don’t really find this a problem, though. The SuperTagging feature of MM is probably one of the greatest software inventions in quite a while, as far a MP3 files are concerned anyways. I generally use MM to lable any errant MP3 ID3 tags, but iTunes syncs a lot easier, plus will support the addition of MP4 audio files in your playlists (something that, unfortunately, isn’t supported by MM). Until one company actually creates a piece of software to do ALL of these things, we are all subject to questionable software, as I am not particularly a fan of either Apple software, or MusicMatch itself. Anyways, install iTunes first, then load MM without the iPod plug-in.

Posted by Sitharien on November 4, 2003 at 1:24 PM (PDT)

“The SuperTagging feature of MM is probably one of the greatest software inventions in quite a while”

Only people who have not used Media Center’s better “Ultra” Tagging could think that MMJB’s version is acceptable.

“Cripplefight” (above) is indeed a good way to discuss the “competition” between iTunes and MusicMatch. They are both sad loser programs when it comes to MC9.

Posted by ultratagger on November 4, 2003 at 1:51 PM (PDT)

hm… i have no problem with installing of iTunes. i uninstall MMB b4 i install iTunes in order to prevent at system crush. But having chinese character tag on my iTune, i still cant read it on my iPod. Anyone have any solution to tat? BTW i m a window 2000 user.. So can any nice soul out there give a helping hand on tat?

Posted by thomas on November 4, 2003 at 8:19 PM (PDT)

MMJB is horrible - but it is indeed a low blow by Apple. Hard to believe they didn’t forsee this.

If you’re looking for good tagging, Musicbrains (http://www.musicbrainz.org) is an amazing piece of software IMHO. Drag/Drop files and it will fingerprint it and check it against a user moderated database to correctly name/tag it. You can even tell it to monitor a directory (*cough* Kazaa) and it will rename/retag incoming files if it meets a certain threshold. Its incredible, and open source too!. Free!

Posted by soltrain on November 5, 2003 at 3:55 PM (PDT)

I used MUSICMATCH software to rip about 200 CDs and then I sold the CDs. I went back and found out that MOST OF THE FILES WERE NO GOOD. There were skips and pops and other horrible problems. When iTunes for Windows came out, I used that, and it works great.

DO NOT USE MUSICMATCH!!!!

Posted by reboot on November 7, 2003 at 7:59 AM (PDT)

And to prove it:

Hairless Ape nails it.

Posted by dave on November 7, 2003 at 9:29 AM (PDT)

Maybe you people should research this issue before blindly installing something on your Piece of Crap.

Plain and simple, Why should apple change it’s practices just becuase a sorry music service like MM, Napter, and Buy music.  Ipod’s rock, There the most popular MP3 player in the world, So why should we conform to your rule set when apparently we have a better one that hold 80% of the market share in Downloadable music.

Easiest way to fix the problem, Get rid of you personal confuser and get a mac,  No crashes, Open system, and best of all, it’s not controlled by microsoft!

Oh did I forget to mention that Mac OS X is 1000 times more secure than windoze. everyone knows that, the only people who disagree are close minded, or biast.

Thanks, Apple Rocks, and Windoze is a joke!

Madhatt

Posted by madhatt on November 7, 2003 at 11:11 AM (PDT)

Page 3 of 4 pages  <  1 2 3 4 >