Musicmatch warns iPod users of iTunes conflict | iLounge News

Musicmatch warns iPod users of iTunes conflict

Several readers note that Musicmatch has sent an email regarding a serious software conflict with iTunes for Windows.

“As a valued Musicmatch customer and iPod user, we want to alert you to a serious software conflict caused by iTunes for Windows.

Apple iTunes for Windows prevents Musicmatch® Jukebox from working with the iPod by deleting critical files used by Musicmatch. If you install iTunes, you will not be given a choice between Musicmatch Jukebox and iTunes - Apple makes this choice for you.

To avoid any problems and to get the best possible experience when managing your MP3 collection and transferring music to your iPod, here is what we recommend:”

Complete email:

Dear Musicmatch Customer,

1) DO NOT install iTunes for Window on your PC if you are using Musicmatch Jukebox and wish to continue using Musicmatch Jukebox with your iPod.

2) If you have already installed iTunes for Windows but want to continue using Musicmatch Jukebox, please follow these steps:

·  Disconnect the iPod from your computer if it is still connected
  ·  Double click on ‘My Computer’
  ·  Double click on ‘Control Panel’
  ·  Open ‘Add or Remove Programs’
  ·  Select and uninstall ‘iTunes’
  ·  Select and uninstall the ‘iPod for Windows’ item
  ·  Select and uninstall the ‘Musicmatch iPod Plugin’ item
  ·  Select and uninstall the ‘iPod System Software Update’ or any other iPod related items that might be listed
  ·  Select and uninstall ‘Musicmatch Jukebox’
  ·  Close the ‘Add or Remove Programs’ control panel
  ·  Restart your computer
  ·  Delete the contents of the iPod directory by dragging the files to the Recycle Bin and then emptying the Recycle Bin
  ·  Navigate to the ‘program filesMusicmatchMusicmatch Jukebox’ folder
  ·  Delete the files, but not the folder, in the Musicmatch Jukebox folder
  ·  Reinstall Musicmatch Jukebox from the installation CD that came with your iPod or     download the iPod software from the following URL: http://www.musicmatch.com/download/free/?OS=pc&OEM=APPLE
  ·  When finished, reboot your computer
  ·  When the computer finishes rebooting, connect the iPod to your system
  ·  Open Musicmatch Jukebox

If you continue to experience problems or have any questions about this issue, please do not hesitate to contact Musicmatch Customer Support at http://www.musicmatch.com/form/support/index.htm

We hope you have the best possible music experience with the world’s most popular jukebox software - Musicmatch Jukebox.

Thank you.
The Musicmatch Team

« Lajo Releases New Xskn Case

Billboard: iTunes faces hurdles in Europe »

Comments

Allow me to interject. I do not have much, if any experience working on a Windows based computer, so I cannot vouch for the experience a Windows user has when using iTunes. However, just to prove that not all mac users are zealots or single-minded, here is a statement from the maker of anapod, a software interface for the iPod:

cheers,
budi

powermac
powerbook
ibook
classic II

Posted by budi on November 7, 2003 at 1:07 PM (PDT)

“Ipod’s rock, There the most popular MP3 player in the world”

Typical grammar errors I expect from a Macolyte, but why not try this on for size:

over 80% of the mp3 players in the world are not iPods. What does that tell you about the iPod’s “popularity”?

Rio sell more units than Apple. Why? They have a broad product range, and a wide spectrum of prices from the low-end to the high-end. There’s not just one Rio (with varying hard drive sizes) to choose from: there are over half a dozen, in many colours.

iPod seems like it was designed by the Communists: you will accept only one type of player, and you will accept it in only one colour, and you will accept it at these high prices. No exceptions, no other formats, and after a year your pathetic battery will expire and you owe us another $250.

Posted by comrade on November 7, 2003 at 5:43 PM (PDT)

Madhatt-All will be forgiven when you fork over the $2500.00 to get me that G-5 I’ve been salivating over for the past three months. I’ll even break out the rosary beads whenever necessary for you if you throw in the 23” flat screen. Until then,however… .
You’ve made what has got to be one of the most incredibly offensive statements I’ve ever read on this site. What’s with the “we”? Are you Steve Jobs? I kinda doubt it,because even he wouldn’t be stupid enough to alienate potential buyers like that.
  Each and every step I’ve taken concerning Ipod and Apple involved careful research. I know I’m not the only PC’er on this thread who took the time to check out Ipod thoroughly before buying it,and continually do homework regarding it afterward.Otherwise, why would everyone be posting?
I like this site because for the most part, it’s been a huge help figuring out all things Ipod,and most of the MAC’ers have been really cool,and non-judgemental. In fact, I’ve come across so much good info,that I’m fairly certain that the next computer I get will be a MAC.WHEN I can AFFORD it,that is. The PC I’m on now cost me dearly,and I’m POOR.
Then I come across statements like yours.

Posted by Christianicononev.2 on November 9, 2003 at 1:41 AM (PDT)

P.S.-On a nicer note,I love I-Tunes,but I am having an issue with it. I’m trying to figure out what happened to 150 songs that were on my computer (and Ipod) prior to installing I-Tunes. They were in a format recognized by Ipod,and I didn’t erase them from my harddrive. They show up in MM however, which is weird.
I’m going to re-re-read the threads again for clues But any suggestions would be great. I dread having to re-install MM.

Posted by Christianicononev.2 on November 9, 2003 at 1:53 AM (PDT)

first off, that article is nice to finally see. i wanted to throw both my pod and pc out the window when i first got it… now i have it working through iTunes… very very slowly.

secondly, someone called music match “bloatware” up in that mess of posts. music match is disappointingly slow to open, i agree, but someone needs to explain to me why it takes iTunes 2 minutes to load on both my 1.2ghz machine at home and my 2.4ghz machine at work.

both of them need to have the fat trimed.

and why do mac users need everything so simple? this isn’t a personal attack, but an observation (heck, i’m even in the throes considering a mac as my next machine, so you can refrain from calling me a PC troll). point is, IF music match wasn’t so damn heavy of a program, i wouldn’t think it’s really that complicated -it just has lots of features. it seems most mac lovers i run into freak out if there’s more than 3 buttons on something. they also throw anything under the bus as soon as they find out it’s for windows. it’s kinda like people with political views so skewed to the extreme they can’t agree on anything in the middle.

i guess i’m just finding some mac ppl more narrow-minded than i thought mac users really were…

Posted by tony on November 10, 2003 at 9:38 AM (PDT)

hi there, well ...after using iTune for a week or so. i found it’s better than Music Match. Its make re-name/showing detail of a track on the iPod easier and much more clear cut the MMB. But for multi tagging of the track , i guess iTune have to work on that… cos it’s kinda of slow having to click on individual track to do the re-name.  And ripping CD into AAC format seem to be slow compare to using MMB.BTW will Apple music store come to Asia?? i make a visit using iTune and it seem to be a big thing coming to town! Soooo.. my conclusion for making a switch from MMB to iTune is [positive!! Maybe for those (window user)who r currently facing problem with iTune to take it slow and easy, uninstall everything related to MMB & iTune and start all over again… seems u had already make an investment on an Apple product why not enjoy wat its urs.  The is also a solution and way

Posted by thomas on November 10, 2003 at 11:24 PM (PDT)

for all the negative music match talk, MM definately burns mp3s off my cds way faster than itunes ever did.

itunes has permanently ruined my audible program & ephpod program.

even unintstalling and reinstalling don’t reset paths away from itunes…

IMHO, it is a nice product, but if you uninstall it, it should remove associations it created in other programs as well.

Posted by detroiterinnyc on November 12, 2003 at 8:28 AM (PDT)

I’ve got no bones to pick in this fight, but as a newbie to I-tunes and a fairly long time MusicMatch user, I don’t see anything that resembles the “artist on demand” and “artist match” that you get with the Music Match platnum package.  And the 30 second sample on the iTunes Music Store is lame.  I want to be able to listen to, and buy my music on my MMJB then transfere it to iTunes for organization and compatibility with my iPod.

Any ideas??

Bob

Posted by bob on January 12, 2004 at 1:36 PM (PDT)

I’m surprised that no Anapod users have posted Red Chair’s response to MusicMatch.  Well, here it is…

Posted by Steve on January 16, 2004 at 2:05 PM (PDT)

Most of you must be easily seduced by flashy skins and shiny packaging. Anyone who has actually used Music Match and iTunes both knows how good MM is at file organization, and how much iTunes sucks in comparison. Not only does MM have super tagging, but a completely flexible batch-tagging system. You can select any number of files based on any criteria and instantly edit one or more tag categories all at once. iTunes can’t even recognize the same file when it is loaded into the library more than once.
But as someone esle has pointed out, the issue is personal choice. To simply say that this is something Microsoft would do overlooks the fact that this is something Apple has done.

Posted by srtjsrtj on May 30, 2004 at 7:50 AM (PDT)

I have just purchased an i trip and the installation disc is asking for musicmatch.
Reading through the comments posted it seems that would be unwise.
I want to use i tunes only and the i trip says it can use either programme.
Any advise?

Posted by Chris on June 6, 2004 at 7:52 AM (PDT)

iTunes is nice, but no supertagging and no line-in recording.

Posted by tcook30 on June 11, 2004 at 5:44 PM (PDT)

I’ve only been a pod owner for a few days (15gb).  I have loaded and used MMJB - 0nly due to the fact that this was the CD included w/ the ipod.  After all the installation headaches, I finally got it all to work.  Decided if I am going to change from MMJB to Itunes, now would be the time to make a decision as I only have a few hundred songs on the ipod.  My question is, - should I install Itunes before deleting MMJB, or vice versa?  Also, will I need to do any ipod updating once I have done this. Thirdly - For those that have used both MMJB and Itunes, is it really worth the switch?  Being it took so long to get it running properly w/ MMJB - I hate to throw myself back into a major headache again!  Thanks for your help in advance….

Posted by dakota on August 17, 2004 at 8:15 AM (PDT)

In defense of MM- I am driven to frigging tears by Itunes’ absolutely HORRIBLE SoundCheck feature.  It really pisses me off to have to constantly turn the pod volume up and down because SoundCheck simply does not work at all to level the volumes.  At least when I had MM installed- it did what it was supposed to do and levelled the volumes MUCH better.  That feature of Itunes is pure crap and a joke.

Posted by Thom on August 24, 2004 at 8:24 AM (PDT)

If I originally loaded my ipod using musicmatch (on an old computer) and now want to use itunes on my new computer, will i lose everything when i try to sync? (my old library is not on the new computer.) is there a way to transfer the musicmatch files from the ipod into itunes on my hard drive?

Posted by Steve on June 26, 2006 at 6:47 PM (PDT)

Page 4 of 4 pages « First  <  2 3 4