MWC Mix: WinMo 6.5, Nokia Ovi, HTC Touch, Samsung Omnia HD
The 2009 Mobile World Congress is going on now in Barcelona, Spain, and has already brought a number of large announcements from Apple’s iPhone competitors, including the announcement of several App Store clones, touch-based interfaces, and more. We note the key announcements for readers who may be interested in keeping up on news that may impact future iPhone development.
Microsoft has announced Windows Mobile 6.5, a revamp of its existing smartphone and PDA platform. The new version includes a number of changes to make the OS more touch-friendly, including a new honeycomb-styled main menu, touchable elements in Internet Explorer, and finger-friendly home and contacts screens. The software will begin appearing on devices by year’s end. Alongside the software, Microsoft also announced Windows Marketplace and My Phone for Windows Mobile, clones of Apple’s App Store and MobileMe services, respectively. Both will be available with Windows Mobile 6.5.
Like Microsoft, Nokia has announced an App Store competitor, limited to its Symbian OS devices, and called Ovi. The store will be pre-integrated on the upcoming N97 and available to many users of existing S40 and S60 phones, offering both applications and games, a feature that learns the users’ tastes to make recommendations, location-based recommendations, and more. The company has launched a developer site as well, which touts a 70% revenue share—the same as Apple offers developers with paid apps in the App Store.
HTC, makers of touchscreen Windows Mobile phones and Google’s hardware partner on the “G” branded Android devices, has announced two new touch-based phones, both with 480x800-pixel screens. The Touch Pro2 features a slide-out 5-row QWERTY keyboard, a dual microphone/speaker for improved conference and speakerphone capabilities, an adjustable tilt screen for enhanced viewing, and more. The Touch Diamond2 offers a 5-megapixel camera, microSD expansion, and more. While the 480x800-pixel display is 3.6 inches on the Pro2, it’s a smaller 3.2 inches on the Diamond2; both include an Enhanced TouchFLO 3D interface to make the underlying Windows Mobile software more touch-friendly.
Finally, Samsung has also introduced a new touchscreen phone, the Omnia HD. Apart from its 3.7-inch, 360x480 pixel Active Matrix Organic Light Emitting Diode (AMOLED) screen, the phone also features either 8 or 16GB of internal storage, a MicroSDHC expansion slot, HSUPA, GPS, Bluetooth, and an 8 Megapixel camera that allows users to shoot 24fps 720p high-definition video.
- New comments hint at forthcoming streaming TV service from Apple
- Apple Music available on Sonos starting today
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- Russia mulling tax increase on App Store purchases, other Apple services
- Lawyers threaten to sue Apple over ‘Error 53’ codes disabling iPhones
- Apple releases iOS 9.3 beta 3, tvOS 9.2 beta 3, watchOS 2.2 beta 3 to developers
- Indie game ‘The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth’ rejected by Apple over violence toward children
- Apple likely to receive approval to open retail stores in India
- Study finds Apple Watch is best fitness tracker for privacy, security
- Conflicting reports over pink color to be featured in iPhone 5se
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- NEBO CaseBrite for iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!