Mythix intros iChant iPod speaker | iLounge News

Mythix intros iChant iPod speaker

imageMythix has introduced the iChant, a new mini-speaker for the iPod. The iChant, which plugs into the headphone port on the top of an iPod, lets you “finally free your ears and share your music” without the “hassle of always being connected to your iPod.” It’s made of iPod-matching white ABS plastic with a metal grille and features an on/off switch to extend battery life (up to 8 hours on one AA battery). The iChant is priced at $32.99.

« Forums: Sound distortion, Summertime, iTunes tidiness, perfect earphones

Mac|Windows: iPurseona 1.0 released »

Comments

does anyone know if this is actually a good buy??? How big is it really it doesnt show any proportion in the photo and i cant find any others.

Posted by JOhn on June 13, 2005 at 5:03 PM (PDT)

It looks to be as wide (maybe a little wider) than an iPod.

Posted by minty on June 13, 2005 at 5:35 PM (PDT)

yeah and about twice as high as a headphone plug. could be handy to have around.

Posted by jmaurand on June 13, 2005 at 5:52 PM (PDT)

If it has a fuller sound than would be possible with 2 speakers, I’d sacrifice stereo.

I need something that will use the iPod’s OWN battery, though, if you don’t put in another battery. Why throw away or recharge a separate battery, when I’m already recharging my iPod and it has HOURS to spare? (iPod Photo.)

I hope this will run from the iPod’s battery if you need. Then it would make a great alarm clock…. BUT it would also have to power down (like iTrip does) when the iPod is not sending signal. Otherwise it would drain the ‘Pod all night.

Posted by Nagromme on June 13, 2005 at 6:08 PM (PDT)

I hope this thing is good!  Considering that the sides of my Macally Podwave fell off after two weeks, I’d love a quality product that sounds better too.

Anyone out there got one?

Here’s hoping ipodlounge reviews it.

Peace.

Posted by Jon Rosen on June 13, 2005 at 6:19 PM (PDT)

I like the design but I do hope they add the remote plug. it looks like it will spin on top of your ipod.

Posted by frankthetank on June 13, 2005 at 6:51 PM (PDT)

Personally, I dont think it can be very good.  Nothing that small can give a pleasing sound quality.  I dont even think Bose Sound is able to do that yet, and they work audio miracles!  Now, if I could view the tech. specs of the thing, maybe I might be swayed to try it.

Posted by Dotcommer on June 13, 2005 at 9:11 PM (PDT)

anyone think this is better than the macnally one? because that one sucks…

Posted by Dr Vee on June 13, 2005 at 10:30 PM (PDT)

Could be handy for using on a bicycle.  I used to have a radio mounted to my bike and was using a discman with an FM Transmitter in my backpack.  Now I would just need to mount my iPod with this speaker set and be set.  This is only useful for ultra portable use, otherwise, there are better solutions.

Posted by MrZebra on June 13, 2005 at 11:02 PM (PDT)

Ok funbobby521,
The real question is- does it distort when you turn it up loud?  The Macally distorts very badly!

Posted by Jon Rosen on June 14, 2005 at 12:50 AM (PDT)

The lack of a remote-plug leads me to suspect that it won’t draw power from the iPod, and will only work with its own battery.

However, the same ‘feature’ should also make it work with the shuffle!

Still, it’s a bummer that these speakers always look so stupid on the iPod mini, the way they stick out to one side. :o(

Posted by Magic Rabbits in Aberdeen, Scotland on June 14, 2005 at 3:06 AM (PDT)

How can this bloody thing, like all the others in its category, sound good? Does it defy the laws of science? It’s antiPod to own something as foolish as these AM sounding PodPoop. Doesn’t Apple have a Sound Police Division that one can contact?

Posted by FahrenheiPod 451 on June 14, 2005 at 1:27 PM (PDT)

you can find a picture of the speakers on the manufacturer’s website
i just recently purchased a pair and LOVE them.  It does not defy the laws of science , but it does create a smurf-sized boombox in my office space.

Posted by ipaint4food on June 15, 2005 at 10:44 PM (PDT)