myvu video eyewear pricing dropped | iLounge News

myvu video eyewear pricing dropped

image

MicroOptical has reduced the price of its iPod-ready myvu video eyewear headset. Originally announced at $399, the myvu will now sell for $299.

“iLounge input, our new retail partners, and the fact that we are ahead of schedule with our manufacturing gives us the confidence to reduce the price of the myvu Made For iPod edition and we are seeing a very enthusiastic market response to this move,” said Bruce Lampert, VP Sales and Business Development.

Designed to work specifically with Apple’s video-enabled iPods, the headset offers a viewing experience comparable to a 27-inch screen from six feet away, and features noise-reducing earbuds, wired remote, protective case, and a battery pack for six hours of viewing time. See iLounge’s First Look for hands-on photos and further details.

« Apple posts iPod+iTunes Latino TV ad

Sundance Channel comes to iTunes Store »

Comments

Watching 320x240 resolution videos on a 27” screen from 6 feet away sounds great.  That’s like 1/4 of the resolution of standard TV, isn’t it?

Maybe if it ever reaches $2.99, I’ll consider it

Posted by Still not impressed on November 7, 2006 at 2:28 PM (PDT)

Video purchased from the iTunes store is 640x480 and looks just fine on most TV sets.

Posted by PattiSmithRocks on November 7, 2006 at 3:16 PM (PDT)

i don’t get how useful is it going to be.  at home you could connect the ipod to the tv.  outdoors you can’t really use it if you’re walking.  how often will someone really use that ugly looking thing?

Posted by moobie on November 7, 2006 at 3:48 PM (PDT)

I’m guessing these would really only be useful to travellers.  Great on a plane, maybe.

BTW, 320 x 240 video on my 27” TV look about as good as standard VHS.  Completely watchable.  Not sure I’d pay three hundred clams for it, though.

Posted by stark23x on November 7, 2006 at 3:52 PM (PDT)

PattiSmithRocks, yes but the myvu display is only 320x240 regardless of the resolution of the source material.  So my original comment stands: 320x240 video may look good on a 2.5” screen but it sucks on a 27” screen.

Posted by Still not impressed on November 7, 2006 at 3:54 PM (PDT)

It seems like it would be pretty cool to have as a passenger during a trip. Almost like having little a private theater. Go ahead and relax back in the seat and watch it. No need to hold the iPod steady in front of your face or stare down at the iPod when using this thing.

It seems like a really cool idea. I wish I could afford one. I might be happier with the cost if it also worked with other video sources. I am always a bit leery of the unitasker or one-trick-pony that costs so much.

Posted by Alex on November 7, 2006 at 4:49 PM (PDT)

Now that’s more reasonable. I don’t think most people, including myself, have or want to invest that much money into one accessory, but it worth it I guess. It adds battery life as well, which is a coveted element of any video player.

Posted by ddsd on November 7, 2006 at 5:45 PM (PDT)

$299.00 huh…If they gave me one of these and offered to pay me $299.00 to use it I wouldn’t.

Can someone explain to me who is going to buy these besides Ubergeeks?

Posted by Art Vandelay on November 8, 2006 at 10:17 AM (PDT)

Can someone explain to me who is going to buy these besides Ubergeeks?

Geez, as if übergeek cash is worse to receive than anyone else’s money. I’m guessing that myvu won’t care who’s willing to buy this…(ahem)...accessory, just as long as they DO buy it.

Posted by flatline response on November 8, 2006 at 5:42 PM (PDT)

I’d use this on my bus commute to and from work everyday—if I wouldn’t look like a ##### doing it.

Sheesh.  The least they could do is make them look like sunglasses so I don’t 1) look ridiculous and 2) can see if someone is about to try to mug me for my $300 myvu goggles.  I also agree that they should work with other inputs, too.

Posted by ThePete on November 9, 2006 at 12:20 PM (PDT)

I think this just might be the future of portable video. The resolution will have to improve of course… But what I’m really wondering is what this does to your eyes! Focusing on something inches away from the eye – won’t that make you incredibly short-sighted in the long run?

Posted by Humbro on November 9, 2006 at 1:22 PM (PDT)

I have a myvu and the picture is great.  I would never hold an iPod up to my face for two hours to watch a movie.  I use it for traveling and to just get away and catch up on shows I missed.

Posted by Jenny on November 10, 2006 at 8:12 AM (PDT)

Hey, I have one too.  I wear mine almost everday on the train.  So many people approach me and ask what I’m wearing and where I got it.  I love that I can watch videos and still be aware of my surrounding.  What a great purchase!

Posted by Keith on November 10, 2006 at 2:40 PM (PDT)

The myvu:  not just lousy sub-VGA resolution, but sub-VGA resolution ON A 27” SCREEN!!  FROM 6 FEET AWAY!!

Posted by Steve on January 9, 2010 at 11:44 PM (PDT)