NAND-based, video-capable iPod on hold? | iLounge News

NAND-based, video-capable iPod on hold?

Despite rumors and speculation focused on a NAND flash-based iPod video, Apple may have to hold off on introducing such a device due to recent price trends. DigiTimes reports that Taiwan-based memory module producers claim Apple has placed monthly orders for around 20 million 1 Gbit units, which the companies are attributing to a flash-based, video-capable iPod. Based on recent pricing trends, however, at least one flash-related sales manager at a Taiwanese memory house believes “Apple may need to postpone its launch plans for the NAND flash-based iPod video beyond the third quarter as the product would not be competitive.” All fifth-generation iPods are currently based on hard disk drives, while the iPod nano, shuffle, and upcoming iPhone all use flash-based storage.

« iPhone unaffected by cell phone ban

TerraTec intros Noxon 2 radio for iPod »

Comments

Downer…but if Apple were to outdo the 80GB storage cap of the 5.5G, that big version of the 6G would be really pricey. Still, for myself I’d rather have a NAND-based 6G than another HD-based unit; there’s only so much shock abuse a hard drive can take.

Posted by flatline response on June 8, 2007 at 12:59 PM (PDT)

Yeah I agree, after all I have the 80 gig ipod, and I really really want to go down a 6g 5 gig ipod video, yep its just want I want.

Posted by stevenjuke on June 8, 2007 at 3:16 PM (PDT)

Wouldn’t be too bad if Apple reduced the Video’s capacity to maybe 20GB, seeing as the average person doesn’t watch videos on their iPod every day, nor actually needs to carry around 10,000+ songs with them. Maybe there could be two different 6Gs, one with flash memory and another using a HDD to keep both parties happy?

Posted by The Soup Nazi on June 8, 2007 at 4:07 PM (PDT)

Why do we need a flash ipod? Runners want a little nano, not the full ipod. How many regular users actually destroy their HD?

Posted by Chris on June 8, 2007 at 10:41 PM (PDT)

100Gb please. I’ll take a hard drive until flash becomes viable.

Posted by Japester on June 9, 2007 at 2:42 AM (PDT)

stevenjuke, 5 gb of video is about 2 or 3 hours, is that even worth it? you could put maybe 5 tv show episodes or a little less than 2 movies.

Posted by killa on June 9, 2007 at 5:48 PM (PDT)

lol your talking to a guy who has 60 megs left on his 80 gig ipod.  So no I don’t want a ipod with flash memory.

Posted by stevenjuke on June 10, 2007 at 3:15 PM (PDT)

My bad…I meant to say ‘shock and abuse’. Dirt, dust and mud also aren’t great for a HD, either.

Dunno about runners and joggers, but I’ve started to trail ride. Talk about abusing one’s gear (and body); because of the conditions even with the best weather, I take my 8GB nano with me but since a significant part of my library is ripped @ 320k (and even some in Apple Lossless), 8GBs isn’t as much storage to work with as one might think. Since it’s waaay too much effort to re-rip just for a weekend out riding, I need (okay, want) more flash storage.

Due to battery life, I doubt I’d ever use an iPod for vids away from a ready power source, but either a larger cap nano or a NAND 6G would be perfect for tunes out in the backwoods over an extended weekend. Y’all never will know what tune(s) would be perfect out on the trail; gotta have that cap, just in case.

Posted by flatline response on June 11, 2007 at 3:29 AM (PDT)