Navigon debuts MobileNavigator GPS software for iPhone | iLounge News

Navigon debuts MobileNavigator GPS software for iPhone

image

Navigon has released its MobileNavigator North America turn-by-turn GPS application for the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS. Taking up a massive 1.29GB of space, MobileNavigator stores all its map data directly on the device for operation in areas where cellular service is unavailable, and features Reality View Pro 3D navigation views with actual road signs and lane guidance, Lane Assistant Pro, which helps drivers prepare for an upcoming exit or tun with on-screen arrows, a Speed Assistant, day and night mode for map display, single-click “Take me home” functionality, branded POIs, both 2D and 3D map views, automatic switching between portrait and landscape formats, and more. Navigon’s MobileNavigator North America is available now from the App Store and will sell for $70 through August 15, when the price will increase to $100; no subscription is required.

« App Mix: SI Swimsuit, Treasure Grab, HotelPal, Layers

Comments

Yes!  No let’s get the TomTom app out there too!

Posted by Adam on July 22, 2009 at 6:30 AM (PDT)

$70 is a decent price.

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on July 22, 2009 at 6:40 AM (PDT)

$70 is esp. reasonable if you’re a multi-iPhone family (since you can purchase an app once but sync it to all the iPhones in your family)- it certainly beats $10/month/device.

Posted by Dyvim on July 22, 2009 at 6:54 AM (PDT)

I agree that it’s reasonable. I’ll reserve paying for it until I see what’s TomTom is up to.

Posted by Jared Gibbs on July 22, 2009 at 7:49 AM (PDT)

Well if it was available it no longer is. I tried to download it and was able to see the app’s info page and now it is unavailable.

Posted by Shwin on July 22, 2009 at 8:02 AM (PDT)

Is it really possible to sync this app to more than one iPhone in a multi-iPhone family? I’m not sure how this would be done since each phone is sync with it’s own copy of iTunes at the moment (i.e. my wife, son, etc)

Posted by Robert on July 22, 2009 at 8:29 AM (PDT)

They have to be using the same iTunes account. My wife and I share software with no problem.

I can’t wait to see some in-depth reviews of these GPS offerings. It’s your time to shine iLounge.

Is there any news about when the TOMTOM app is coming?

Posted by ort on July 22, 2009 at 8:34 AM (PDT)

Are future map updates free?

Posted by DigitalSpit on July 22, 2009 at 8:49 AM (PDT)

Has anyone bought this and checked to see if this works with music playing? That’s pretty much a deal-breaker for me.

Posted by JW008 on July 22, 2009 at 8:49 AM (PDT)

If this is even close as crappy as the software that comes with my Navigon GPS…count me out!!!

I live in the US and it sends you on wild goose chases! I ended up just using Google Maps on my iPhone, it was so bad.

Posted by Chunkeymonkey04 on July 22, 2009 at 10:03 AM (PDT)

I’d like to have turn-by-turn GPS on my phone but I’m not going to drop $70 on it when I have built in GPS in my car and my wife’s car has a Garmin.

I’d consider $50 a fair price.

Posted by Ryan on July 22, 2009 at 10:46 AM (PDT)

Navigon’s website (Google search Navigon) has an FAQ on the app. It does address some questions, but certainly not all of them that I have for the app. Will future map updates be free? Is the app worth $70, versus some basic refurb GPS units that are $50 right now? Are the directions accurate? When will iLounge be testing the app?

Posted by Dave on July 22, 2009 at 10:53 AM (PDT)

We’re currently in the process of testing the app. By way of initial comments, we will note that while the price is certainly on the high side given other options for the iPhone (uh, use Google Maps and hit the forward button after every turn), we decided that we were going to actively cover this one because its pricing scheme was not as patently offensive as the $10/month subscription-based GPS software previously announced; it also comes from a well-established GPS developer. Voice guidance is included in the software, in addition to points of interest that appear to be semi-recent—not as new as we might have hoped given that the App just came out. Expect a full review soon.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on July 22, 2009 at 12:17 PM (PDT)

Thanks Jeremy, I trust that your review will be great for this app, just like your other app reviews. Will you be able to get information from Navigon on the frequency that the maps are updated? Has iLounge heard or seen anything on the horizon from TomTom or anyone else on this same one-rate software for guidance coming in the near future?

Posted by Dave on July 22, 2009 at 1:10 PM (PDT)

Doubtful that future map updates would be free.  They rely on Navteq, which sells new maps to make money.

That’s is probably why this and the TomTom will cost this much.  Plus why would they undercut their own PNDs?

Garmin uses Navteq too, so how can Navigon routing be so bad?

I think the more interesting thing will be how much TomTom charges for its bundle with the mount and charger.

And someone needs to offer a beanbag mount because you can’t use a suction cup mount all the time, especially if you take it overseas.

Posted by wco81 on July 22, 2009 at 5:00 PM (PDT)

What happened to the lite “trial” version? I don’t see it on iTunes anymore.

Posted by Jeff on July 23, 2009 at 3:48 AM (PDT)

Being an App only, you get no car power adapter, and no device to hold the ipod within your view.  And at $100 you you can get a dedicated GPS device that does all of that without having to tie up your phone while driving…

Posted by John Mc on July 23, 2009 at 5:22 AM (PDT)

One of my concerns about using my phone as a GPS is heat. I don’t want my iPhone hovering above a black dashboard on a 90 degree day in the Midwest sunshine. Those temperatures far exceed the iPhone’s stated non-operating temperature of 113 degrees.

Posted by Paul C on July 23, 2009 at 6:59 AM (PDT)

@14, are you guys going to review GMap as well?  It’s only $35 and no subscription, but breaks up the US into East and West.  There is also Canada now and some other small regions.

Posted by sting7k on July 23, 2009 at 7:10 AM (PDT)

Wow $100?  Sounds like its worth it though.  Are there any plans for an international GPS????

Posted by Yubin on July 23, 2009 at 4:25 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >