NBA bans iPods from pregame warm-ups | iLounge News

NBA bans iPods from pregame warm-ups

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Tuesday, November 16, 2004
News Categories: Other

The NBA has informed Toronto Raptors star Vince Carter that he is no longer allowed to use his iPod during pregame warm-ups. “The 27-year-old shooting guard had been listening to music on his trendy iPod on the basketball court during pregame warm-ups, chilling privately with his tunes while practicing jump shots with his teammates. Yesterday, the NBA said Carter’s quest for inner peace through his headphones did not conform to the league guidelines on proper attire on the court. The league has asked him to put the music player away. Carter was shocked when told the news yesterday afternoon after practice. ‘It’s going to hurt [my routine] big time,’ Carter said. ‘I like to listen to music when I’m working out, doing all that. That was my chance to really kind of relax yet focus in. I focus in when I have music on.’”

« Apple changes iPod Photo to ‘iPod photo’

Griffin begins shipping iTrip-Black FM transmitter »

Comments

Some how I think this is less about attire, than having Apple not pay the NBA a licensing fee to advertise the iPod.

Greedy greedy.

Posted by Kyle... on November 16, 2004 at 8:09 AM (PDT)

So, is it ok for him to use another brand?  Ignorance.

Posted by RSM in Tupelo, MS on November 16, 2004 at 8:44 AM (PDT)

I like how they say he was “wearing” the iPod…

Posted by Syph in Cambridge on November 16, 2004 at 11:20 AM (PDT)

if he bought his iPod, than it isn’t advertising.  But the deal does sound a bit fishy eh?

Posted by apple juice in USA on November 16, 2004 at 12:27 PM (PDT)

i think they meant that the nba wasnt getting paid for the free “advertising”. like if he wore a big “Dell” cowboy hat, the NBA would want to get some money for the advertising.  even if he bought it.

Posted by zip22 on November 16, 2004 at 1:47 PM (PDT)

How is an iPod “attire?”

Posted by Durandal on November 16, 2004 at 3:19 PM (PDT)

Its not ey? an attire - its more like a watch or something? a device.

Posted by MickiPOD in Sydney on November 16, 2004 at 5:45 PM (PDT)

I tried the ...“quest for inner peace through my headphones” line on my boss too but it didn’t do me any good.  I can’t “wear” mine at work either

=:-{))

Xtoast
40gig
cupod |)—>

Posted by Xtoast in midwest usa on November 16, 2004 at 10:23 PM (PDT)

Silly

Posted by schaaking in Minneapolis on November 17, 2004 at 4:44 AM (PDT)

NBA Stike!!

Posted by croooow in Fairfax, VA on November 17, 2004 at 8:06 AM (PDT)

When you see Vince Carter, the NBA wants you to think…jersey.  They want you to run out and buy an Official NBA Jersey.  They don’t want you to see the iPod and think…iPod.  They don’t want you to run out and give your money to Apple over the NBA.

Apple should make an ‘iPod carter’...you know one with his number and autograph on it…maybe even in the team color…bet it would sell better than the U2.

Posted by Talking Madness in Los Angeles on November 17, 2004 at 9:22 AM (PDT)