NBC iTunes deal announced; Video sales top 3 million | iLounge News

NBC iTunes deal announced; Video sales top 3 million

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Tuesday, December 6, 2005
News Categories: iTunes

Following a quiet launch earlier today, NBC Universal and Apple have now officially announced their partnership to bring several new primetime, cable, late-night and classic TV shows to the iTunes Music Store. In the announcement, Apple also said iTunes now offers more than 300 episodes of 16 different TV shows, and that customers have purchased and downloaded more than three million videos since their debut on October 12, making iTunes “the world’s most popular video download store.”

“We’re thrilled to expand the iTunes video catalog with 11 popular TV shows from NBC, USA Network and the Sci-Fi Channel,? said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “In our first two months we’ve sold more than three million videos, and have expanded our TV catalog from five shows to 16 shows.?

“We are committed to helping viewers enjoy the wide breadth of our programs across an equally wide range of devices and distribution models,? said Bob Wright, vice chairman of GE and chairman and CEO of NBC Universal. “Apple has developed a distribution platform that is attractive to consumers while at the same time providing the safeguards against theft that are so important to us and to every content provider. We are pleased to partner with them in this new venture.?

« Sena intros new leather case for 5G iPods

ezGear Elite leather case for iPod nano announced »

Comments

I love the content! However I wish the Battlestar episodes were in widescreen as they were originaly presented.

Posted by theBorg on December 6, 2005 at 8:48 AM (PDT)

Quietly?  This is huge in my opinion!  Now I can finally get Battlestar Galactica.  Woohoo!!  Now I just hope Apple gets the WB on board so I can get Smallville.  smile  Any chance we’ll ever see the Star Trek franchise apear too?  I hope so!

Posted by Phoenixfury on December 6, 2005 at 8:59 AM (PDT)

Is it just me or do Leno and Conan shows NOT seem worth the $2/episode?  Especially when you compare it to the primetime shows like Lost, Desperate Housewives, etc.

$2 for a primetime episode is very reasonable to me.  But for a talk show thats on 5 times a week, $2 just seems overpriced…

From a business standpoint, an hour of airtime is an hour of airtime, and time is money; I can understand the $2 price tag from the business standpoint.

But from a consumer’s standpoint, as much as I LOVE Conan, I just flat out don’t look forward to watching Conan episodes the way I look forward to Lost.

Anyone else feel the same way?

(oh here come the flames!)

Posted by ragintajin on December 6, 2005 at 11:28 AM (PDT)

Not only is it $1.99 for Leno or Conan…it’s not even for a full episode, it’s for 5-10 minute clips.  A couple Conan highlight “best of” shows for an hour long are $9.99

The pricing on Leno and Conan seem absurd…but the rest is pretty cool.

Posted by bluecow on December 6, 2005 at 12:45 PM (PDT)

is it possible to get music videos on an i-pod mini? if so, please respond back telling me how… thanks !!

<3jill

Posted by purplerider27 on December 6, 2005 at 5:29 PM (PDT)

if u know anything about getting music videos onto an i-pod mini, please email .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) ... thanks !

Posted by purplerider27 on December 6, 2005 at 5:40 PM (PDT)

purplerider: Sorry, you have to have a video capable iPod to view videos.

Posted by podeluxe on December 6, 2005 at 9:54 PM (PDT)

No interest in Conan or Leno but DRAGNET, ADAM 12 & Hitchcock!?!?!?! Wow. I signed on and downloaded 15 classic TV episodes. It’s awesome!!

Posted by JeffNNJ on December 7, 2005 at 7:55 AM (PDT)