NBC to offer ‘Heroes’ pilot for free on iTunes | iLounge News

NBC to offer ‘Heroes’ pilot for free on iTunes

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Friday, August 4, 2006
News Categories: iTunes

NBC has announced that it will make the pilot episode of its new Fall series “Heroes” available for free on the iTunes Music Store beginning September 1st. The free offering is part of a cross-promotional effort that NBC is doing for the show involving Nissan, Apple, and National CineMedia. “To access the free Heroes material, moviegoers at AMC, Cinemark, and Regal theaters will receive special cards with pin numbers that let them enter a special Heroes preview section on iTunes,” reports TV.com. “The card holders will be able to download the free pilot of Heroes plus behind-the-scenes footage and previews of other NBC series.” Heroes is described as a drama that chronicles the lives of ordinary people with extraordinary abilities.

« Napster subscribers decline; Company considers sale

Soloist Universal Media Dock for iPods, SIRIUS announced »

Comments

i love tv on the internet! the next evolutional step will be tv in your clothes!

Posted by evansls on August 4, 2006 at 8:51 AM (PDT)

Teletubbies?

Posted by Mike on August 4, 2006 at 9:43 AM (PDT)

This has been on various bittorrent sites for a few weeks now smile

Posted by Josh Powell in VA on August 4, 2006 at 9:49 AM (PDT)

Forget all the contests and secret codes…just make the pilot free and maybe, just maybe you will find an audience.  So much marketing on the new shows…yet most get so few viewers.

I’m not worried about how cool NBC thinks their show is because it’s gonna be offered via iTunes…just give me a decent show and I will watch.

‘Lost’ fooled the networks into thinking iTunes was they key to everything…they failed to realize that ‘Lost’ was the key to iTunes…at least as far as TV via iTunes is concerned.

Posted by Talking Madness in Los Angeles on August 4, 2006 at 3:41 PM (PDT)

Talking Madness.

I hope your not in Marketing.

It sounds like a pretty solid and decent promotional effort.  I think it will be quite effective.  It works on all sides.  There’s already plenty of people that go to these theatres to see movies.  Many of them probably don’t use iTunes.  What better way to tempt them to do so then to give them a card that lets them download free content and start using it.

NBC obviously gets people to watch their new show before it airs.  It sounds like a really interesting show, and something I might actually get into.  I really don’t like all the Lost references, nor the “Lost-esque” banner for the show… but what are ya gonna do.

Next time I go to the theatre I hope to pick a card up and check it out.

Posted by iScott on August 5, 2006 at 6:41 AM (PDT)

iScott-

Your points are well taken so I don’t wanna debate you.  The core of my sentiment is that marketing is becoming more creative than what is being marketed.  You ever have that feeling?  Sometimes I get the feeling that more effort went into the maketing of a show/movie/technology than the thing itself.

My practical question is: with the decline in movie attendance why would you wanna put the core of your marketing campaign on a sinking ship?  Why promote it to people who are going to a few theater chains instead of getting the word out to the masses and dropping the whole “The card holders will be able to download the free pilot of Heroes plus behind-the-scenes footage and previews of other NBC series” part of the promotion?

I’m being long winded, so I will stop.  Wait, I almost forgot, the other main point of my post…odds are this show will not take off like ‘Lost’.

One more thing, I am in marketing, don’t hold it against me.

Posted by Talking Madness in Los Angeles on August 6, 2006 at 1:29 AM (PDT)

Wait… Let me see if I got this straight.  NBC is giving away a free TV show via iTunes.  Then they expect us to jump through hopes to get it?  Are the F__king serious?

I’m supposed to :
1.) Go to AMC 8 – to see some crappy movie that I DON’T want to see.
2.) Get some special plastic card with a pin number on it.
3.) Come back home, log-on to iTunes Music Store, to enter this pin number.
4.) Only THEN, will I be able to download this new TV show “Heroes” – That I’ve never heard of.

I’m sorry, but that hardly seems worth the effort, when my Tivo will record it for free, from the comfort of my couch.  I mean really…  TV pilots are notoriously bad, except for “LOST”.  It’s certainly not in my interest to give up a Saturday Night with friends, just to help NBC with yet another of their “famous” craptastic TV line-ups.  I stop watching Network TV years ago, except for “Lost”, which I catch on DVD.  (BBC America, HBO and TNT)

Yeah.. good luck NBC, let me know how that works out for you.

Posted by i,Robot on August 8, 2006 at 8:16 PM (PDT)