Netflix streaming issues persist on Apple TV | iLounge News

Netflix streaming issues persist on Apple TV

Issues with Netflix’s streaming service continue to hound users of the second-generation Apple TV and some other devices, despite complaints to Netflix and Apple dating as far back as last year. Among the issues being discussed on Apple’s Support boards, in various reports, and by iLounge’s editors and contacts include frequent pauses for buffering which can take longer than the duration of the selected program, complete connection timeouts, and error messages indicating problems loading content or communicating with Netflix. Calls to Netflix support have suggested that Netflix is blaming the issues on ISPs, regardless of the customers’ locations or bandwidths, while the ISPs have typically pointed the finger back at Netflix. Although the causes of these various issues are unclear, what is clear is that the problems appear to be widespread and unrelated to a given user’s location or internet service provider. We’ve reached out to Netflix for comment and will update this entry when we receive a reply.

Have you been experiencing issues using Netflix on your Apple TV? Let us know in the comments below.

« Otterbox iPhone 4S case packaging surfaces

Apple moving away from Samsung as memory supplier »

Comments

“Netflix is blaming the issues on ISPs…while the ISPs have typically pointed the finger back at Netflix”

What I do not see in this is where anyone is pointing at the Apple TV as a possible source of the problem. So my question would be “Do other streaming devices (Blu-Ray players, set top boxes, etc.) exhibit this same behavior?” If not, then maybe someone SHOULD look at the Apple TV. If it is being seen on these other devices, than the title of this article is simply misleading. How about “Netflix streaming issues persist”? That would some it up a little better.

I personally own an Apple TV (Gen 2), a Samsung Blu-Ray player and two Vizio LCD TV’s that all have Netflix streaming. I have not seen this issue on any of them.

Posted by Mitch on September 22, 2011 at 11:43 AM (CDT)

We have had this issue repeatedly using AppleTV and Netflix. Quite annoying. However, when watching two movies a couple of days ago, it was flawless. I have fast cable broadband, so I don’t believe it’s the ISP. I never have problems when just downloading content from AppleTV using iTunes, or streaming from my own computer. Only problem has been with Netflix use.

Posted by deb on September 22, 2011 at 11:52 AM (CDT)

This issue had been resolved.  It was determined that 1 of Netflix’s 3 CDNs (Content Delivery Networks) was serving up content at a much lower rate than the others.  Netflix responded by removing that CDN from play.  It seems perhaps they’ve added them back in.

This is not an issue with the Apple TV or with your ISP.  It is Netflix’s job to monitor their CDNs to make sure they are serving up content properly.

Posted by Mark on September 22, 2011 at 12:03 PM (CDT)

I have one issue that keeps occurring over and over. About once or twice a month, Apple TV will not load content from Netflix. I can select a program, push play and then I get an error message “Apple TV cannot load content. Please try again later.” The only resolution I have found is to reset (unplug) the Apple TV and then plug it back in. Very annoying as we NEVER have issues streaming Netflix from our Sony blu-ray player. I personally think it DOES have to do with Apple TV. FWIW - I am both a long-time Apple fan and stock holder, so no trolling here.

Posted by Seth on September 22, 2011 at 12:15 PM (CDT)

Same here. I have a PS3 and Netlfix loads fine on that but on Apple TV it’s a crap shot. The most common is watching movies and all of the sudden when I try to watch one when I click play it gives an error. I try another and the same thing happens.

If I restart the Apple TV 2 (unplug) works fine right away.

Has happened since I got it when the device was first released. The last time it happened was probably a week ago. Happens at least a handful of times a month. To note I use to live in DC, happened there and now live in Boston, happens here as well.

Though there are a lot of different issues people have this one I have seems to be particular to netflix and apple tv. Not location, bandwidth, ISP etc. But no one will admit that as they are all trying to secretly fix it without having to admit guilt.

Posted by CB on September 22, 2011 at 12:20 PM (CDT)

I have been putting off getting an apple tv because I am leery of getting high quality video content over wifi.
I use a Samsung blu ray player and maybe once or twice had some issues but normally it is great.

Posted by scottrey on September 22, 2011 at 12:33 PM (CDT)

Same here. But my big issue which has been going on for months is the “Recently Watched” menu no long exists. I call Netflix and they tell me they are unaware of it. Call again, they say they are upgrading their system so it will be intermittent.

99% of the time this menu is gone. It will show up, I watch a movie and come back to the menu screen and it’s gone.

THAT is not an ISP or AppleTV issue - sorry Netflix. And this is MONTHS, 4-5.

Lagging for me has gotten better. I also have a fast connect, 33 MBPS. WHen I lag, I run a speed test and it is always just flying fast - it’s NOT an ISP issue Netflix.

But overall Netflix works at its main function for me, streaming content. But they need to replace whomever is their tech head.

Posted by dtm on September 22, 2011 at 12:44 PM (CDT)

We have an ATV2 (connected over a wireless-g) and cable internet that is reasonably fast (~5MB/s). We also have DVD players and TVs with Netflix streaming capability, but once we got the ATV we changed to using that exclusively because the UI on ATV runs circles around the other devices (although I still think you should be able to search for movies by a particular actor, how hard could that be?!)

Late last year we had what appeared to be buffering issues with iTunes rentals and Netflix streaming, but not all that often. We weren’t using the DVD or TVs so I can’t compare their performance to ATV at the time. But over the past 8+ months the ATV streaming performance has been flawless. This problem may be regional, as noted by #3 above.

The only problem we have is Netflix’ price increase for the DVD/streaming package, and very limited selection for streaming content.

Posted by rockmyplimsoul on September 22, 2011 at 3:06 PM (CDT)

Just letting you know I’m from Canada (Detroit/Windsor border). Absolutely no problems over here with issues mentioned above.

Posted by Chris Blais/nordmach on September 22, 2011 at 3:31 PM (CDT)

Changing the DNS settings to 8.8.8.8 has worked for me.  BTW, this is seems to be an ATV only issue since it does not happen with our Xbox or PS3.

Posted by will on September 22, 2011 at 4:30 PM (CDT)

I’ve had this issue very intermittently with my current-gen AppleTV. I also have intermittent issues with the “Recently watched” menu appearing. However, both issues happen with my PS3 and my AppleTV. On occasion, my PS3 will be unable to connect just like the AppleTV and wiil itself require a restart of the Netflix app.

I think its a Netflix issue, to be honest…

Posted by Daniel S. on September 24, 2011 at 11:02 PM (CDT)

I’m able to stream shows on my laptop but the same show will either not show up in the search on the ATV2 or will show up but not play.  Error message is usually This show is not available for streaming.. Try again later.  It is frustrating.  Sometimes multiple restarts fix it, other times not.

Posted by Rob on September 25, 2011 at 3:29 PM (CDT)

I have both the ATV2 and xboxlive and as of tonight ATV will not connect to Netflix and live freezes on a video frame while the audio continues.

Posted by Josh on October 1, 2011 at 12:14 AM (CDT)

In addition to the buffering glitches, I have continually been experiencing the audio getting way out of sync from the video whenever streaming episodes of Star Trek Voyager through Netfilx from my Apple TV 2 device. It always seems to occur within the first few minutes of the episode. Pausing, rewinding a bit, then pressing play again always cleans this up.

Posted by Arthur Lander on October 14, 2011 at 2:27 PM (CDT)

I believe it’s an ATV problem. I viewed a Netflix show in the morning and in the afternoon I got the error about not being able to load content. “Try again later” was bad advice. I had no problem running NF content over my Mac with the same in-home wireless net. YouTube worked fine. I did the hard reboot (unplug) and now all is well. I tried setting the IP to 8.8.8.8, but lost the network connection, so I reset it to DHCP.

Posted by Paul on October 22, 2011 at 2:30 PM (CDT)

Had no problems until we ran the newest update on the Apple TV. Now, Apple TV works fine with our library, however when we try to connect to Netflix, we get an error saying a connection cannot be made, then the screen goes bright blue.

Posted by John on October 31, 2011 at 12:33 PM (CDT)

Well I currently reside in the Toronto area and am having issues with the ATV and Netflix.  The error message continues to pop up no matter what I try.  I’ve tried unplugging the ATV, the modem, holding down the menu button (suggested on another site) and anything else that has worked for others with no success.  Like others, Netflix works fine through my MacBook.  I’m beyond frustrated at this point.

Posted by Susan on November 10, 2011 at 8:20 PM (CST)

Although we have an LG home theater with Netflix, we got an Apple TV 2. It also delivers Netflix, but does iTunes and mirroring from our IOS devices. We have tried Netflix via the ATV and get way too many pauses. When I switch to the LG Netflix works fine. This tells me that it is not the network, my wi-fi, or my DSL. On the LG, Netfix starts anything I watch with some initial buffering. The ATV does not. I suspect the ATV is the flaw.

Apple - fix it!

Posted by Stewart Meyer on November 14, 2011 at 11:21 PM (CST)

Having same issue but only on ATV2 and only Netflix. Just started after last update. Can stream other video content just fine and snappy over the air.

Posted by DJ on November 18, 2011 at 9:18 PM (CST)

We had problems with the Apple TV when we did update Nov7 (it froze) and were given a new Apple TV.
We are now having a problem with the pauses in streaming which last 30 sec to 1 min.

I tried changing IP address but that did not work, this has to be an Apple TV problem!

This is 3 weeks without Netflix.
Anyone have a fix???

Posted by Penny Carey on November 28, 2011 at 12:40 AM (CST)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >