NetShare app re-appears on iTunes Store | iLounge News

NetShare app re-appears on iTunes Store

NetShare, a new iPhone application for sharing your phone’s cellular internet connection over Wi-Fi, has reappeared on the App Store following its removal last evening. It is unclear if Apple has decided to let sales of the application proceed, or if this is simply a brief reappearance due to a glitch. NetShare is available through the App Store via this direct link and sells for $9.99. [via Waxy]

« Apple explains Works With iPhone 3G re-certification

iPodweek, iLounge’s weekly newsletter, coming later today »

Comments

Note that the NetShare app was originally completely unavailable on the Canadian iTunes Store (ie, the page did not even come up as an available app).

However, as of this recent re-apperance, it’s now available on the Canadian Store as well.

Posted by Jesse Hollington in Toronto on August 1, 2008 at 11:40 AM (PDT)

It appears to be available on the UK store too (i think it was before). I just bought it.

From the other forums it seems to be available only outside the US right now (presume AT&T;arent too happy in the US).

Posted by Nawaz on August 1, 2008 at 11:50 AM (PDT)

It’s not showing up in the App Store on my phone in the Canadian store yet.

Posted by hmm on August 1, 2008 at 11:59 AM (PDT)

OK nm, it just showed up in the Canadian store.

Posted by hmm on August 1, 2008 at 12:04 PM (PDT)

It’s in the US store. downloading it right now.

Posted by Geoff on August 1, 2008 at 12:09 PM (PDT)

Can this thing be used to trick the iPhone into letting you browse the iTunes store via cell if you put in your cell operators IP addresses instead. Sort of like a loop back.

Just a thought.

Posted by Don on August 1, 2008 at 12:18 PM (PDT)

Nullriver should THANK Apple for this.  The result was only a short period of non-availability and TONS of free publicity.

Posted by moo083 on August 1, 2008 at 1:02 PM (PDT)

App is no longer available—the page is on the Store, but you can’t complete the purchase.

Posted by Fred von Lohmann on August 1, 2008 at 7:34 PM (PDT)

Yeah that sucks, leave the app listed in the store but no longer allow it to be purchased.  They need to allow this to be purchased there is no difference if I am browsing pages via Safari on my iPhone or if I am using Safari via my Macbook Pro through my iPhone, just allow us to buy the app, its not like Apple is not getting a sizable cut of the sale of this.  Frankly it should be something included with the iPhone itself, but I am happy to pay $10 for the feature as an IT professional on the road this ability is really a must.

Posted by B James on August 1, 2008 at 7:44 PM (PDT)

“They need to allow this to be purchased there is no difference if I am browsing pages via Safari on my iPhone or if I am using Safari via my Macbook Pro through my iPhone”
I suspect that’s not what they’re bothered about. They’re less bothered about people using safari and more bothered about people running bit torrents or downloading gigabyte files because the carrier network isn’t set up to handle that kind of ‘density’ of downloading.

The 3G contracts you get with USB cards (at least in the UK) have very strict limits on how much data you can pass and are very punitive if you go over the limit. I don’t think the iPhone has as harsh limits, so it’s open to ‘abuse’ (as they see it) if access to ‘proper’ computers is allowed.

So this isn’t Apple pulling the app because they don’t like it, I suspect they’re pulling it because this kind of app is specifically prohibited as part of their deal with the carriers. It’s the iPhone equivalent of DRM on iTunes music.

Jon

Posted by Jon on August 2, 2008 at 1:36 PM (PDT)

The iPhone contracts in the uk are still covered by excessive usage limits, so whether they let someone tether their laptop is not really a factor. I’ve been looking for the app on the uk store, but it seems to have disappeared again.

Posted by Jason on August 3, 2008 at 8:39 AM (PDT)

As of today (8/3) the page is “Unavailable in the US Apple Store”.

Wonder if they will try to take it away from those of us in the US who made a purchase.

Posted by mred62 on August 3, 2008 at 9:28 AM (PDT)

this is tethering which took me. Asexond to figure. This is not Apple at works my friend but the dredded AT&T;. They hate when people tether without buyig there $100tether plan on top of unlimited data. Now I realize they are not the only cell provider I. The world but I know apple has there nuts in a bind with AT&T;. I agree it should be allowed but AT&T;is retarded and I’ve always hated them. Too bad I hate tmobile as well. AT&T;will continue to charge people more money for things like the data plan for the iphone 3g becaus it hAs the ability to do more data, even though I’m on edge 3/4 of the tIme because at&t;does not want want to upgrade their towers. Horray AT&T;for holding back the cell phone industry.

Posted by joe on August 3, 2008 at 9:55 PM (PDT)

The NetShare app has been pulled again by Apple and the developer has commented on their website they don’t know why. I’m allowed to tether with my $30.00 6 GB data plan on Rogers HSPA/EDGE network. Problem is Apple appears to not want anyone to have this app which makes no sense since it doesn’t harm the iPhone EDGE or iPhone 3G and Apple can if they wanted to filter apps in the App Store based on country. Such as Loopt is only available in the USA App Store for AT&T;network users but not in the Canadian one for Rogers/Fido customers. Apple is not just upsetting their developers by doing this censoring but also their customers. The NetShare app was available when I was at work but was to busy to download it to the iPhone 3G though I thought I would be able to download it after work. I was wrong in that assumption since Apple’s goons monitoring the App Store pulled the app again. Actions such as this are contradictory to fair business practice and will leave customers with more reason to not buy from the App Store and instead hack their iPhones to use either installerapp 4 or Cydia. Instead of hacking my iPhone 3G I would prefer Apple work more closely with developers as well be more open to their ideas. Also for Apple to be more flexible with the App Store rules for developers instead of the “it’s my way or the highway” thinking.

Posted by Imagine Engine in Vancouver, BC, Canada on August 3, 2008 at 11:31 PM (PDT)

i suspect that the issue is ATT. As someone pointed out, they have a separate card for such connections and it’s not in their plans for such service. they want you to do it separate.

Posted by lucas on August 21, 2008 at 5:53 AM (PDT)