New 20GB and 40GB iPods released | iLounge News

New 20GB and 40GB iPods released

Apple has released new 20 and 40GB iPods and have dropped the 15 and 30GB models from the the iPod line up. Each of the new models include Apple earphones, AC adapter, FireWire cable, PC FireWire adapter, wired remote, carrying case w/ belt clip, iPod dock and one year warranty. The 20GB costs $399 and the 40GB is $499, and joins the existing 10GB for $299.

« 15 and 30GB iPods on sale at Apple Stores

Macworld UK: iPod Smart car images »

Comments

frick. i just bought a 30gig last week. oh well, at least i have the compusa TAP…

Posted by engage on September 8, 2003 at 10:35 AM (CDT)

so whats gonna happen to the old 15/30’s?
and is the size smaller on the 40’s then the 30’s?

-div

Posted by divination23 on September 8, 2003 at 10:42 AM (CDT)

answered my own question:

Size and weight (10GB model)

* Height: 4.1 in
  * Width: 2.4 in
  * Depth: 0.62 in
  * Weight: 5.6 oz (158 g)

Size and weight (20GB model)

* Height: 4.1 in
  * Width: 2.4 in
  * Depth: 0.62 in
  * Weight: 5.6 oz (158 g)

Size and weight (40GB model)

* Height: 4.1 in
  * Width: 2.4 in
  * Depth: 0.73 in
  * Weight: 6.2 oz (176 g)

Posted by divination23 on September 8, 2003 at 10:44 AM (CDT)

Are there any other music players that have 40G’s? That’s soo much music holy whack.

Posted by kainjow on September 8, 2003 at 10:47 AM (CDT)

Something important that you failed to mention, the specifications you listed are the same for the 30GB model.

In other words, there is no physical size change for the new capacities.

Posted by Matrix on September 8, 2003 at 10:50 AM (CDT)

Alright everyone, grab a hold of yourselves! ;)

How many of us actually *use* our iPods to full capacity? I’m sure a lot do, but the majority of us don’t (myself included). I’m using 4.05GB of my 30GB iPod - what good would another 10GB really do me? Granted, if 4g iPods come out with recording, etc, I’ll buy one right away, but until then, I’m happy with my 30GB.

I feel because I just bought my 30GB last week, I’m “entitled” to a 40GB (meaning return this one), but why go through all that hassle, just for another 10GB of space I’ll never use? I’d most likely end up paying a $49 restocking fee to return this one and buy a new 40GB.

Posted by Matrix on September 8, 2003 at 10:58 AM (CDT)

Who uses 30G? Me. I have maybe 50 gigs of music. See, that’s the problem right there: I can’t fit ALL of my music even to the 40G model :( I still have to juggle with music files every once in a while even if I got the 40G…

Maybe I’ll upgrade, maybe not.

Posted by ootter on September 8, 2003 at 11:05 AM (CDT)

No way Matrix,
I can easily fill up my 15gb easily with my music, also it would be great to have extra memory for backing up my computer.
I would be feeling ripped off if I bought the iPod just recently. 5/10gb is a lot of memory that you might think you need until you suddenly realize your ipod is full.

Posted by Kenner on September 8, 2003 at 11:06 AM (CDT)

Who really needs a month’s worth of music with them? Who really regularly listens to 10,000 DIFFERENT songs? Don’t get me wrong, it would not matter to me if Apple put out a 100 gig iPod, but people should not be bummed because they bought a 15 or 20 gig a few weeks ago. There will always be some thing new, faster, smaller, etc., so just enjoy. Another thought… if you can afford to LEGALLY OWN 10,000 songs, then you can afford to give away your recently purchased 20 gig and buy a 40 gig with out any buyers remorse. ;-)

Posted by Randy on September 8, 2003 at 11:21 AM (CDT)

But remember Randy, people do use iPods as backup drives also along with their music, and 40G seems like nothing if you’re backing up your hard drive and your music.

Posted by kainjow on September 8, 2003 at 11:26 AM (CDT)

If I was implying no one at all should get the new models, I didn’t mean to. I was just saying not everyone uses 100% of their iPod

Posted by Matrix on September 8, 2003 at 11:31 AM (CDT)

kainjow, you are correct. If one starts throwing “other” files on the iPod, it could fill up quite fast. It just boggles the mind thinking about 40 qigs that fits in the palm of your hand, when the first Mac I OWNED only had a 250 MEG drive.

Posted by Randy on September 8, 2003 at 11:42 AM (CDT)

I got the 30GB a couple of weeks after release, and I just exceeded 15GB of music files.  I’ll be perfectly fine staying with my 30GB, by the time I reach that much there’ll have been at least two more iPod upgrades.

Why carry all my music at once?  So that when I get the urge to hear Sweeny Todd, I have it.  I remember dreaming about a device like this back in 1985, but I envisioned a boombox with a keyboard on top.  It is great when reality exceeds your dreams.

Posted by Michael on September 8, 2003 at 11:48 AM (CDT)

Still no cheaper iPod? 10GB should have been dropped in price to atleast $250.

And no additional features? Just a simple bump in hard drive capacities.

Who wants a $400 paper weight? Same fixed internal battery.

Amazon & other retailers are still selling old ones for same price, they better drop the price asap :)

Posted by ZZ on September 8, 2003 at 11:58 AM (CDT)

Does anyone know why Apple has released the upgrades so soon on the launch of the 3rd Gen models (April 2003)?

GuyVer

Posted by GuyVer on September 8, 2003 at 11:59 AM (CDT)

Apple, please release a 5GB model for $199!

5GB is more than enough for most people. Not many care for xx GB, steel back, included earbuds, screen size or the money you spend on packaging it. Cut all of these things and make an affordable mp3 player.

And where the spare battery slot???

Stop ripping off & sell more, before some other company makes an iPod killer.

Posted by John on September 8, 2003 at 12:05 PM (CDT)

So does any one know if these units are what Griffin Tech was waiting for in order to release the new iTrip? If new firmware was the culprit of the delay as rumored, you would think these new units would have that it them. From what I have read, the new units are exactally the same but for size.

Posted by Randy on September 8, 2003 at 12:07 PM (CDT)

Save for kids college/buy new iPod,
Save for kids’ college/buy new iPod…

This is going to be a tough decision.

Posted by Oxhead in Washington, D.C. on September 8, 2003 at 12:16 PM (CDT)

I’ll need a MUCH bigger wallet to be concerned with keeping up on the latest and greatest. That said, has there been any news why the 15GB was discontinued? Are there any known issues that Apple would rather not talk about right now? As a recent 15GB owner, I’m less concerned how much more I could’ve had as I am about the thing going belly-up right after my warranty expires!!

Posted by Longhair on September 8, 2003 at 12:31 PM (CDT)

wait, it’s not like models were discontinued!  Just think of it as the 15G was upgraded to 20, and the 30 was upgraded to 40.  It’s quite simple.

Posted by msherman on September 8, 2003 at 12:53 PM (CDT)

Page 2 of 6 pages  < 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›