New 20GB and 40GB iPods released | iLounge News

New 20GB and 40GB iPods released

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Monday, September 8, 2003
News Categories: iPod

Apple has released new 20 and 40GB iPods and have dropped the 15 and 30GB models from the the iPod line up. Each of the new models include Apple earphones, AC adapter, FireWire cable, PC FireWire adapter, wired remote, carrying case w/ belt clip, iPod dock and one year warranty. The 20GB costs $399 and the 40GB is $499, and joins the existing 10GB for $299.

« 15 and 30GB iPods on sale at Apple Stores

Macworld UK: iPod Smart car images »

Comments

Apple must be getting the bigger sized hard drives for same price as old ones from Toshiba. So they are passing that on to consumers. No big deal.

There will be some firmware and hardware revisions but no real difference from April models.

Posted by Linda on September 8, 2003 at 10:09 AM (PDT)

well, i am in the process of calculating my thing, as i am about to get some money, and to sell my current ipod..i was getting ready to go for the 30gb, but now i’ll definitely go for 40gb..i mean cds are part of my life..everytime i see a place that sells cds i am tempted to go in and listen to stuff, and most likely get something..this is really exciting.. smile

Posted by paneb on September 8, 2003 at 10:12 AM (PDT)

I’d be insanely pissed off if I bought a iPod within a week of this. Well most people don’t need all that memory? I see iPod as music lovers and have a lot of music to listen to. Who is going to buy iPod if your libary is just couple hundred songs, unless they are really well off.

John - What you describe is just about a lot of mp3 players out there right now. So why not bring your business to those companies? I mean a lot of companies have a better battery life and cheaper and no scratch prone casings! Not trying to insult you but just curious, it seems you want a strip down model of current iPod models for the market.

Posted by Kenner on September 8, 2003 at 10:26 AM (PDT)

I ordered my 15 GB IPod a week ago online at the Canadian Apple store. I received an email this morning from Apple that my IPod was automatically upgraded to 20 GB.

If you did not get this email and you recently ordered online then may be you should call customer service.

Cheers

Dark

Posted by Dark on September 8, 2003 at 10:27 AM (PDT)

Only a question: What happens if my 15g breaks? I mean, if something happens that’s under warranty, but what they can’t fix? will I get the 20gig version, then? hmm…
I also feel a bit… well, don’t know. 15 gig is filling up much faster than I expected, and now while I could’ve got 5 gig for free… : /

jojo

Posted by jesaja on September 8, 2003 at 10:31 AM (PDT)

i was upset about this, having ordered a 15 gigger refurb from the apple store two days ago. that is, until it arrived (today). Apple must have run out, because they shipped me a 30 gigger instead of the 15 gigger smile

Posted by orange on September 8, 2003 at 10:31 AM (PDT)

my original 10g is still in perfect running condition and used everyday.

i have no plans to “upgrade” until there is a problem with it.

seriously… 40 gigs of music for a subway ride or excercise? most of us probably really only need about 8!

i wish i had money to throw around

Posted by pazzmore on September 8, 2003 at 10:32 AM (PDT)

whats the point in having such a high capacity ipod when the battery only lasts 8 hrs on the go?

Posted by wills on September 8, 2003 at 10:38 AM (PDT)

For all you folks saying you just bought a 15/30 gig, Apple has a 10 day price protection policy. If your invoice date is Aug 29 or later (I think), you should be able to upgrade for free.

I, unfortunately, missed that date by about 5 days. Drat. ::grin:: But, I’m getting the new one (40 gig) anyway. I figure $50 (10% restocking fee) for 10 gig is cheap, since a 10 gig iPod is $300, and solid state MP3 players cost upwards of $100-$200 and have way less capacity. It’s a deal in *my* head, and - ultimately - my head is all that matters to me. ::grin::

Posted by SuBethJimBob on September 8, 2003 at 10:48 AM (PDT)

Obviously, nobody is going to want to listen to 10,000 songs in a row… but it’s nice to be able to *choose* what you want to listen to from your entire collection. Before I got my iPod, it seemed like no matter how many cd’s I carried around with me, I always wanted to listen to something that I left at home. Not a problem any more.

Posted by Dinky on September 8, 2003 at 10:50 AM (PDT)

Well there those that fill up ipod and those that don’t. Maybe those that don’t should stick with 10gb while the rest of us bicker about missing out on precious space for more music and files. smile

Posted by Kenner on September 8, 2003 at 10:55 AM (PDT)

I have maybe 1300 songs on my 30 gb and I find that the interface is good for a few hundred, but going through that many artists or songs or albums is really a nuisance. They need a better interface before I’d consider upgrading again.

I guess these are the two new ipod ‘accessories’ that were talked about last week at MacRumors; I was really hoping for a keyboard to turn it into a PDA. Bummer.

By the way, to the guy who talked about how anyone who has 10,000 songs legally can afford to give away an old ipod, lemme tell you. I probably own twice that many songs on CD and LP, and I can’t afford it. Between buying music and a 30GB ipod, you think I have any money left over to eat? smile

Posted by joe shmoe on September 8, 2003 at 11:16 AM (PDT)

40 gigs are a fantastic upgrade if you’re a student like me and use this for transporting files to and from school. And: some little birdie told me that this is not the pair of new peripherals that were leaked last week. a HDD upgrade does *not* qualify as a peripheral in my book!
My guess: Whatever they turn out to be, they’ll probably be made by none other than BELKIN, if the recent past is any indication!

Posted by Bademeister on September 8, 2003 at 11:35 AM (PDT)

Want 40gigs folks?  Then do like I did…......starve the child and sell the house, then rush out and buy the Archos AV340.  I have one and a 30gig IPod, and its absolutley Multi-media Nirvana !!!

Posted by jsmoove7 on September 8, 2003 at 11:52 AM (PDT)

I have abuot 25 gigs of music and my 120gig ecternal harddrive holds all of it. That just #### the bed, and my 20 gig ipod only has a decent portion of my music. Wish I had a 40gig right about now. I trust the ipod as a backup harddrive over my real one now.

Posted by Andrew Borstein on September 8, 2003 at 12:12 PM (PDT)

this could mean that those accesories rumored weeks ago could be recording devices or something that requires more space

Posted by Devilsrule03 on September 8, 2003 at 12:26 PM (PDT)

Had the 30 gig since they first shipped in the UK. It’s very nearly full, about 1.5 gig left. I will not get anything like my entire record collection on it, however I seriously don’t expect even a 100 gig to do it.
I am obviously one of these daft people with way to much music. “Freakish” was one description. Twenty plus years of buying way too much.
What I have done is put things I haven’t heard in years on it and then applied the shuffle function. Buy the 40 and ENJOY!!!!

Posted by Rob Todd on September 8, 2003 at 12:28 PM (PDT)

Chances are that this change in the 3G models is limited to the hard drive component only, and maybe a few tweaks to the firmware.  Probably Toshiba changed their hard drive product line, and so Apple followed suit.  The new units are still 3G units, so those who already have one (like me: 15 GB) shouldn’t feel like they are obsolete or won’t be supported.  Sure, I’d like the extra 5 GB, but don’t really need it.  I felt that I got my money’s worth, and Applie (like any other tech manufactuerer) is totally entitled to upgrade their units from time to time.

Posted by bslenter on September 8, 2003 at 1:27 PM (PDT)

HELP!

What should I do? I currently own a 10GB 2G IPOD (full to capacity), should I upgrade to the new 40gb or should I hold back? I am worried apple will release an even better IPOD in the not to distant future.

Posted by Spartacus on September 8, 2003 at 1:28 PM (PDT)

Same for me. I own my 30G model for under a week now. Problem is, that the new ones aren’t available yet in Europe, and although amazon.de would take the 30G back after 14 days, I don’t think I could wait until the 40G is available.
This thingamabob is just great, exciting, sexy and i don’t now what.
Still amazon could give me the 50 Euro difference back… grin

Posted by Cpt. Power on September 8, 2003 at 1:37 PM (PDT)

Page 3 of 6 pages  <  1 2 3 4 5 >  Last »