New 20GB and 40GB iPods released | iLounge News

New 20GB and 40GB iPods released

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Monday, September 8, 2003
News Categories: iPod

Apple has released new 20 and 40GB iPods and have dropped the 15 and 30GB models from the the iPod line up. Each of the new models include Apple earphones, AC adapter, FireWire cable, PC FireWire adapter, wired remote, carrying case w/ belt clip, iPod dock and one year warranty. The 20GB costs $399 and the 40GB is $499, and joins the existing 10GB for $299.

« 15 and 30GB iPods on sale at Apple Stores

Macworld UK: iPod Smart car images »

Comments

C’mon Apple. Why is it so hard to put larger capacity battery! We know it`s aviable.

Posted by Unbeliever on September 8, 2003 at 11:16 PM (PDT)

Apple in Singapore has actually came out with a advance notice. 15-30 August they had a massive ipod roadshow! They took down the gigantic iPod Advertisement. 4-7 Sep at Comex Show, the iPod were going at $548, $668 and $888 instead of their usual $588,$748 and $948. Well…i just sold my 15gb this morning…LOL…

Posted by j.m on September 8, 2003 at 11:29 PM (PDT)

Size reduction matters most to me however from what I can tell the new 40 Gb is the same physical size as the 30 Gb.

So are the only advantages the extra 10 Gb and the lower price?

Posted by Sambo on September 8, 2003 at 11:59 PM (PDT)

Sorry to post again,but I am deeply unhappy. I knew that I would upgrade,and with Apple,the changes seem to happen about once a year,but I can’t quite shake the bad aftertaste.I can’t fathom Apple’s level of arrogance. I found out about the upgrade because Apple sent me an E-mail. I thought I was hallucinating when I first read it.Nope.Imagine my surprise-my 15 Gig is barely two months old. No advance warning. I would have been cool with this,but to announce it the same day they made them available? Without any sort of heads up?Cheaper,too?Talk about a sucker punch.Plus,just to keep it really interesting,lately,my battery drains dead within two hours of being fully charged,and songs cut off in the middle. I have no choice but to ship it off to Apple. I wonder how they will deal with this? I’m almost afraid to find out. To top it all off, if the news reports(i.e.Business Week)and other sites are correct,Apple has announced that the 15 and 30 Gigs are now OBSOLETE. Words can’t begin to express… What is most amazing though, is as much as I fiercely hate Apple right now, I can’t wait to see the fourth generation.I may even get the 40GB upgrade very soon- I’m also someone with a freakishly huge CD and Vinyl collection,all of it legal(well 98% of it,but everything else I’ve bought),and I filled the 15 gig in less than a day.Owning the Ipod has been an godsend-I love it to death. I don’t have to lug around a bunch of crap,and I love being able to punch stuff up at will. I’m constantly singing Ipod’s praises,even to people who swear by and say they will never switch from Mini-Disc. However, it would be really cool if Apple could keep in mind that people don’t buy the damned thing just for disposable kicks-it’s a pretty major investment. And the best way to guarantee loyalty,besides continual improvement,and to keep luring people in the loop is to keep them informed-in advance.

Posted by Christianicononev.2 on September 9, 2003 at 2:21 AM (PDT)

I think calling the 15/30 oblosete is wrong…they are still G3; only hdd size changes.

Posted by Mongoos150 on September 9, 2003 at 4:44 AM (PDT)

Regarding my 20 GB iPod: I saw a product I wanted and I bought it.

And not long after I bought it, Apple introduced the new generation.  Sure, I wish I waited, but I didn’t complain about getting ripped off, or kicked in the teeth.

What obligation does Apple have to alert customers to new products coming out?

Posted by Oxhead in Washington, D.C. on September 9, 2003 at 4:52 AM (PDT)

I ordered my 15 gig for a month ago. It arrived last freday. I read about the new ipods yesterday. I paid much more than what it is worth and waited so long. I return it and ordered the new 20 gig today.

Posted by willi on September 9, 2003 at 5:17 AM (PDT)

So this is just a HD change?  Any software/hardware PC requirements change?

As for feeling ripped off because you may have bought an ipod in the last few weeks - do what I did - bring it back to the store.  I bought mine at Best Buy.  Called them yesterday after we all found out about the new 40GB model and they said, as long as everything was still in working condition, they will take it back for a full refund - no restocking fee.

Posted by rainydaye on September 9, 2003 at 9:01 AM (PDT)

you guys are unbelibveable.  you are upset because you bought something and..oh my god…Apple released a NEW ONE?!?!?!?  HOW DARE THEY!!!

give me a break from your petty whining already.  You think Apple should never release anything new ever to alleviate the problem of irritating people who just bought an older version?  This is so stupid that I cant even verbalize how annoying it is to listen to such a bunch a children whine about it.

Its the ELECTRONICS & COMPUTER INDUSTRY.  they ALWAYS release upgraded product. i GUARANTEE you that in a few months or so…they will release even NEWER iPods.  call me crazy, but i am going to make that prediction here and now.  I predict that new iPods will be released within the next 4 to 6 months.  Now you hve all been warned and will have no need to cry like a bunch of babies when they are relased.  If you dont want to get upset when Apple releases new product then do us all a favor, dont buy anything Apple again, and go live in a cave instead.

There is a 10 or 14 day return policy in place for a reason.  There is a restocking fee on opened product for a reason.  If you are that nervouse about buyer’s remorse, buy a new iPod, dont open it, and wait 10 days.  That way you are covered.

if not, then just shut the hell up already.

Posted by ugh on September 9, 2003 at 9:31 AM (PDT)

Still undecided what to do. I really need an upgrade. To be honest I didn’t like the 3G models. My own opinion is that the 2G is the best.

Posted by Spartacus on September 9, 2003 at 9:41 AM (PDT)

Has anyone gone thru the return situation with Frys Electronics. I just bought my 30 G on labor day and now the 40 G shows up . I can either get the price difference since the 30 G is now 429 on their web site or does anyone know what the charge you to restock in if it is opened. Any info or advice would be nice

Posted by Randy on September 9, 2003 at 10:26 AM (PDT)

What’s the matter with Apple?  They start to generate some revenue with the new iPods, which if you haven’t noticed, cost a small fortune.  And now they alienate all of the people who dropped all that money by releasing a “new” model.  I bought my 30 about 2 1/2 months ago and have been happy ever since.  In fact, I don’t think I’ll ever fill it to its capacity.  Chances are if you buy a 40 today an all new color 100 will be out tomorrow.  Yay Apple!  (Dripping with sarcasm)

Posted by Holy Bad Marketing Batman on September 9, 2003 at 10:46 AM (PDT)

I just got my new 40 gig iPod this afternoon. Anyone else notice they are using software version 2.0.2? Checked the Apple web site and the most recent version I can find available for download is 2.0.1. Any fixes/new features in the new version?

Posted by jeff on September 9, 2003 at 11:18 AM (PDT)

I am more interested in the battery issue than in the increased HDD.  It would have made sense to me to have a slightly larger 40gb model to allow for a larger battery.  What do you think ?

Posted by Mark on September 9, 2003 at 12:26 PM (PDT)

iPod 2.0.2 is for industry production purposes and does not carry any new enhancement thus is not available for download. This is what Apple is saying.
Did you all know about Os 10.2.7? It’s only for the G5’s cause they’re on 64 bit. grin

Posted by j.m on September 9, 2003 at 2:28 PM (PDT)

You guys are sooo funny! smile

This is like the episode on “Frasier” where Frasier and Myles were absolutely tickled pink by GOLD service at the “exclusive” spa until they realized that there was a PLATINUM level of service being offered to other more “exclusive” members.

Now, now people - It is all about the PERCEPTION of value. It is how Apple (and other service / manufacturing companies) makes money, and how they keep us coming back with our tongues hanging out!

Posted by ravenmortal on September 9, 2003 at 5:39 PM (PDT)

Is it just me or does it strike anyone else as strange that apple upgrade the HD size and drop the price? Here in Aus the price has dropped from $1050 to $900 for the 40gb.

The only thing that I can think of is that the 4G iPods aren’t far away and the best way for apple to clear their stocks of 3G iPods is to upgrade the size and sell ‘em a bit cheaper. Before everyone says ‘but there is a shortage of iPods in some countries’ i’ll say this: Even if the iPods aren’t assembled yet there must be a stockpile of all the bits that make the 3G iPods that apple will want to get rid of before 4G. They problem is getting them assembled and shipped.

Just my two cents worth, I’ve waited this long another couple of months won’t hurt. I just hope that they come out before Jan when I’m going traveling, can’t travel without music and I’d dearly love a 4G!!

Posted by dicko on September 9, 2003 at 6:01 PM (PDT)

Lets hope that 4G comes out B4 x-mas… and that 5G comes out B4 march 2004 and 6g B4 the summer….

Posted by dfaskldf on September 9, 2003 at 7:20 PM (PDT)

The comments on the new ipod make very good reading and I can understand the frustration of those who had just ordered the 15 GB coz I am one. Anyhow, my point is not directly connected to this. I read lots of discussions online as well as subscribing to many lists. Most are civil places where people with similar interests get together and chat. However, I would like to note that the language on this message board is a little improper.

If you have issues with a comment made by someone, simply scroll past it. Abusive comments only expose you as a loser out to insult people and especially those with diffrent opinions.

Lets have some discussion ethics, it helps given all the violence and anger in the world today to have some places where u can simply relax (the ipodlounge is meant to be one such place)

Posted by civil on September 10, 2003 at 5:13 AM (PDT)

I’ve had my 3G 15GB iPod for about two months and love it to bits.  I never thought I’d need more HDD space, but to my obvious surprise it’s already almost all gone.  Do I feel ripped because I bought the 15GB instead of “waiting” for the 20GB to arrive—OF COURSE NOT!  If we sat around waiting for Apple to say, OK boys and girls, this is absolutely the last upgrade/generation/battery/color/LED/whatever iPod that will ever be produced, most people would probably not want to buy a product with such up-front obsolesence.

Posted by bozzart on September 11, 2003 at 12:46 PM (PDT)

Page 5 of 6 pages « First  <  3 4 5 6 >