New Apple TV keeps box, part number; uses less power
New photographs show that the new, tweaked Apple TV has kept the same box and Apple part number as the previous iteration of the device — a somewhat unusual decision by the company, given that the model number has changed from A1427 to A1469. Notably, the box still makes references to AirPlay mirroring with the iPhone 4S and iPad; newer devices, such as the iPhone 5, iPod touch 5G or iPad mini, are not referenced.
A report from Anandtech notes that the new Apple TV uses significantly less power than the previous version. “Overall the power savings seem to be around 800mW across the board,” the report claims. Previous reports have noted that Apple is using a new version of the 32nm single-core A5 chip in this Apple TV — a smaller design with no other obvious performance changes.
- Apple planning Touch ID Apple TV remote?
- Apple progressing in TV service negotiations, aiming for fall debut
- Showtime’s standalone Apple TV channel arrives with free trial
- NYT: No new Apple TV at WWDC
- Report: CBS to announce standalone Showtime service for Apple TV
- Apple confirms Apple TV to act as HomeKit hub
- Apple Maps vans landing in France, Sweden in August
- Report: Slimmer iPad mini 4 on the way, upgraded iPad Air 3 a possibility
- Beijing police bust massive iPhone counterfeiting operation
- Report: Apple interested in BMW i3 as ‘starting point’ for its own car
- Nike to offer customers cash in proposed FuelBand settlement
- Apple Watch coming to Best Buy on August 7
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, subscribe now
- Apple pulls Nest from its stores
- Apple Maps van spotted in greater NYC metro area
- Apple announces annual Back to School promotion, excludes iOS devices
- Ulak Lumenair for iPhone 6
- Apple iPod touch (Sixth-Generation)
- Ventev Powercell 3015c and Powercell 6000+
- Bowers & Wilkins P5 Wireless Headphones
- IK Multimedia iRig Mic Studio
- iClever Apple Watch Charging Stand
- TempTraq Wearable Bluetooth Thermometer
- JBL Clip+ Bluetooth Speaker
- Monk Magnet Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Just Mobile TimeStand for Apple Watch
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?