New Burton iPod jackets and backpack | iLounge News

New Burton iPod jackets and backpack

According to Japanese website A-bony, Burton are to release three new iPod jackets and a backpack. There are two men’s jackets, the Shield and Ronin 2L, one for the ladies, the Radar 2L, and the Amp Pack backpack are all expected to be announced November 1, 2003. Apple/Burton released the first model Amp Jacket at Macworld San Francisco in January 2003 and have since been discontinued. The new Burton jackets and Amp Pack use “SOFTswitch technology, which allows the iPod to be controlled through a soft, flexible control pad.” Photos and an illustration of the Amp Pack are available at the bottom of the A-bony website. We had an earlier report about the Amp Pack back in March 2003.

« iPod Bluetooth Audio Transmitter Early Next Year

Window On Mac’s Musical World »

Comments

not necessary, yet very cool - as a skiing ipod owner, I can see how this would come in handy.  I wonder how much these items will cost?

I like to listen to music loud while skiing, but on the lifts its nice to stop it so you can talk to friends.

the arm controls let you keep you ipod safe, warm and dry inside while still giving relatively easy access - asumming you can work those arm controls with a winter glove on…

Posted by me on October 30, 2003 at 10:46 AM (CST)

The last one was way expensive… $399 IIRC.

Posted by azdude_15gb on October 30, 2003 at 11:39 AM (CST)

Well, I’m pretty sure the price will range between expensive and insanely expensive. A new model is always very expensive. Add to that the fact that its “limited” in number and you get something outsdandingly expensive. Think about it, why do they do it in a limited amount ? So that, us “gadget-freeks” don’t buy those in summer at a low price. So in other words, they don’t really make “limited editions”. They just don’t sell them off-season, just so that the pricec stays high. That’s some marketing.

LoneStar (oh damn, I’ll buy it probably anyway. I’m weak)

Posted by LoneStar on October 30, 2003 at 11:47 AM (CST)

the jackets are listed at 56000 and 50000 yen which is around the $500 mark…leaning towards the insanely expensive for a snowboard jacket.

Posted by mikey on October 30, 2003 at 1:15 PM (CST)

that sucks…..hopefully they’ll be cheaper in the US…

Posted by me on October 30, 2003 at 1:18 PM (CST)

I’ve heard a rumor that the 2L Ronin is supposed to be around $380.. the 2L Ronin currently goes for $250 w/o the softswitch, the shield for $280..  we’ll see though, the gear will be up on Burton.com Nov. 1..  a downside is that I’ve heard that you need bionic fingers to manipulate the softswitch buttons, they require more of a pinch than a push..

Posted by touch sensitive on October 30, 2003 at 2:31 PM (CST)

If I was to get one of those, I’d have to test it out before i bought to see if i like it.  bring my ipod to the store and hook it all up.  yeah…!

Posted by me on October 30, 2003 at 4:11 PM (CST)

here another press release with some idea of pricing on some of the items….

the standard Ronin 2L Jacket retails around

Posted by Gav on November 2, 2003 at 7:28 AM (CST)

can anyone tell me if it’s for 3rd G Ipod’s????
if not is there a wayo use the new Ipod??

Posted by groovybaco on November 2, 2003 at 7:37 AM (CST)

the new burton/ipod products will be compatible with all generation ipods as far as I know..  I’m surprised they weren’t announced officially yet, I’m hoping they will be announced tomorrow..

Posted by touch sensitive on November 2, 2003 at 10:49 AM (CST)

will it be anounced on apple or on burton???

Posted by groovybaco on November 2, 2003 at 11:04 AM (CST)

“the new burton/ipod products will be compatible with all generation ipods as far as I know”

are you sure about this touch sensitive? My sister has bought me the Ronin 2L for my birthday. Its not here yet and I am really keen to know if it will support my G2 iPod or if I need to get a G3. The pics I’ve seen so far look like G2s but I’m guessing they are prototypes. For the jackets to support both models would require multiple plugs / an adaptor, I just can’t imagine it happening. I called Burton but they had no idea.
(basically I just want an excuse to buy a new iPod!)

Posted by Mark on November 3, 2003 at 2:54 AM (CST)

Hi all
I called Burton Austria and they said that it are 3 models that are coming for the Ipod (2 male 1 female) but it will only be released half or end of november, she lady at the phone was not able to give more info about what generation of Ipod it will suppport or what the price will be.
Keep on waiting and hoping it will not be to expensive.
Gonna board mid jan so that should be ok
GREETZ

Posted by groovybaco on November 3, 2003 at 8:09 AM (CST)

I called Burton Austria too, very willing to help but ultimately unable to give me the specs on the jackets. Still no info on the Apple or Burton sites.

Posted by Mark on November 3, 2003 at 8:15 AM (CST)

No, I am not 100% certain of the compatibility between all generation ipods… question for you though, Mark.. you do know that the Ronin 2L is currently available without the Softswitch tech?  Just to make sure your sister got the right one

Posted by touch sensitive on November 3, 2003 at 9:04 AM (CST)

yeahhh

Posted by groovybaco on November 3, 2003 at 10:42 AM (CST)

“just received mail from burton austria and it will be on their website as from tonight all the info”

lovely stuff

touch sensitive, my sister runs a snowboard shop so its definitely the ipod jacket, she can’t find out if its for the G2 or G3 iPod though.

Posted by Mark on November 3, 2003 at 11:09 AM (CST)