New case from Contour Design? | iLounge News

New case from Contour Design?

iLounger Joe has sent us information and photos regarding a possible new case from Contour Design. “The new iPod case will be called the “Contour showcase for iPod” or “showcase”. It will feature a combination of hard, clear plastic and soft rubber edges, and billed as “the hard case with the soft touch.” It will cost about $40 and should be available by mid-October.”

pic
pic
pic

« Apple Store refurbished iPods available

Covertec releases iPod III case »

Comments

Can’t wait, I love the iSee for 1st gen. iPods.  If you’re thinking about the iSee for your 1st gen iPod… Get IT.  Looks great and protects well.  The other night the unthinkable happened… Riding my bike at ~15mph listening to the Pod when it slipped out of my pocket and slammed and bounced on the pavement.  My first thought was “OHHH My, there goes the Pod, should have been using my silicone rubber case.”  I dove in front of a car before it was ran over, and was shocked.  iPod still alive only the top of the case popped off, and a minor scratch on the face.

Showcase looks kind of slick…. We’ll See….

Posted by YoPod on September 25, 2003 at 9:37 AM (PDT)

hmmm. i thought the new contour case was supposed to be a clear isee. or maybe this isn’t a contour case at all?

Posted by ipod05 on September 25, 2003 at 12:08 PM (PDT)

I have been waiting for this for some time now… I was hoping for a all clear case… But it still looks good grin I just need more pics than that

Posted by knarf135 on September 25, 2003 at 1:41 PM (PDT)

I looks great but I hope the belt clip is a good one…can’t tell from the pics.

Posted by Del Griffith on September 25, 2003 at 3:51 PM (PDT)

I love that belt clip. Seems more flexable than my G2 iSee handel.

Posted by Bob on September 26, 2003 at 12:21 AM (PDT)

I agree it looks sturdy and all.. but is it going to hold the ipod horizontal instead of vertical? Not sure if that would thrill me! I think the design is incredible though. Definitely gotta get one.

Posted by Del Griffith on September 26, 2003 at 5:28 AM (PDT)

Disclaimer: I am biased about Contour Design. I have been using their products for a while. In terms of usability and design - this company get’s it. I really like their iSee. I actually own 3 ipods. I use the older generation ones (two) for storing data, rather than lugging notebooks around. I use the latest 40Gb to listen to music. Out of the all the cases I have tried I like the iSee the best for a number of reasons(clear, protective etc) however the clip which did improve from the first one they did. However it is an area that kind of needs improvement….however many a time when I just hold the isee in my hand/palm and remove the clip.

Getting to the point. This product looks cool - although I have never known about Contour Design not issuing a press release. Never known them to be shoddy marketers although my one gripe with them is their web-site. It kinda dated…it sucks…. Come on Contour you have great products - how do you expect to let the world know about your products - hope someone from Contour is reading this.

Back to the point….From what I can see, as someone who has more experience than the average person in plastic engineering - this product - if it is real - is an engineering work of art. I could be wrong as the images are not that clear but the tooling and process to get to what I think I see is very hard and difficult to do. If it is what I think it than at $40 seems a bargain.
I just went to their site again - no mention of this or any images.

Posted by Jaldi in London and New York on October 3, 2003 at 1:20 PM (PDT)

wow what a post Jaldi. Man you can write! This company’s products are wicked cool. I use their iSee at all the games at the raiders when I get a chance - unfortunately it seems only my buddy Jerry seems to work hard. The raiders locker room thinks my iPod in the iSee looks cool.
this new one is kickin’

Posted by Dr. Dre on October 3, 2003 at 2:28 PM (PDT)

Jaldi:
Yes, “someone from Contour is reading this” Your comment about our design philosophy is right on.
“In terms of usability and design - this company get’s it.”
Our President, Founder, Designer, Steve Wang really appreciates your comments here:
“it is an engineering work of art.”: Thank You.
We kind of agree with you about the site being dated.
Our web designer, TD, got mold poisoning and is in the hospital, today for his second operation on his nose. Hope he can get back soon and finish our new site.  We do have a way cool site; it is just a matter of making the GUI easy to navigate.
Cheers,
james golden
Contour Design, Inc

Posted by james golden on October 3, 2003 at 6:59 PM (PDT)

This looks really cool.  So cool, that I’m going to hold off until the 15th or so to decide between Speck, the iSee, and the PodPaq…
How about some teaser pix on the web site to get people excited!

T.

Posted by tech on October 4, 2003 at 4:22 PM (PDT)

is there any news on the actual release date of the case. please need to know…want to pre-order !!!

ren.

Posted by ren. on October 5, 2003 at 8:46 PM (PDT)

You can sign up for updates with a link on their website, but one individual from the company told me that Oct 10 is the date to keep an eye on…and I will be!

Posted by tech on October 6, 2003 at 11:54 AM (PDT)

Correction to last post, meant to type Oct 15th…wishful thinking about the 10th!

Posted by tech on October 6, 2003 at 11:55 AM (PDT)

Showcase is live on Contour’s site.

iPod case for 3rd Generation iPods - PRE-ORDER - Expected to ship 10-20-03

cheers,
charles

Posted by charlie on October 6, 2003 at 12:36 PM (PDT)

WooHoo…looks great…Pre-Order entered!

Posted by tech on October 6, 2003 at 4:44 PM (PDT)

Wicked cool. Just saw it on their site.Buying a new iPod soon. Gotta get this one. Loooookss Awesome…!!
Why has Contour not done a press release.? Is there something that we don’t know

Posted by ELMOZ on October 7, 2003 at 8:50 AM (PDT)

Thank you Mr. Golden for responding. Reinforces my impression about your company.

From what I see I am going to buy one and give away the armor case I got as a gift yesterday. Waiting for it to appear on the apple store.

Why don’t you issue a press release? Why not let the whole world know.

I didn’t mean to go overboard in criticising your site but it does kind of suck. I hope your new site is easily navigable.
I called your company yesterday - quite late.
I spoke to this guy who was on another call when he took mine…went back to the call- quickly came back to me - took another call from someone else again - all very courteously. ..He was v.  helpful & courteous and, v. enthusiastic & knowledgable about all your products. I think his name was ****tan or something -great service.

Mould or not - your site does need some improvement. But thanks for letting me know. Just using my freedom as a customer to vent at you so that you improve -make more money to invest and make even more cool products that I will buy. Virtuous circle instead of vicious.

Posted by Jaldi on October 7, 2003 at 9:03 AM (PDT)