New details of next-gen ‘iPhone HD’ emerge
Apple is working to build a pair of iPhones for release this year, one a sequel to the company’s prior GSM handsets, and the other built to work on CDMA networks, according to a new report. Citing people briefed by the company, the Wall Street Journal reports that the CDMA iPhone will be built by Pegatron Technology Corp., the contract manufacturing subsidiary of Taiwan’s ASUSTeK Computer, and is scheduled to go into mass production in September. This new model would allow Apple to offer the iPhone on both Verizon Wireless and Sprint in the U.S., along with a small number of carriers in countries including South Korea and Japan. The new GSM model is being made by Hon Hai Precision Industry, the same company that produced Apple’s prior iPhones, and will likely be thinner and have a faster processor, according to the report.
Following the publication of the WSJ report, Engadget was informed by an anonymous source that the next-generation iPhone would be announced on Tuesday, June 22, and would be dubbed the iPhone HD. In a separate report calling the WSJ out for lack of details on the next-generation iPhone, Daring Fireball’s John Gruber suggested that the next-gen iPhone would be powered by an A4-family CPU system-on-a-chip, and sport a 960x640 quadruple resolution display, second, front-facing camera, and third-party multitasking thanks to iPhone OS 4.0. These reports follow the appearance of images and video of a supposed fourth-generation iPhone replacement faceplate, which was slightly taller than that of current iPhone models and featured a prominent hole next to the handset speaker, supposedly for a front-facing camera.
- VISA ‘tokenization’ may speed Apple Pay EU deployment
- Apple releases iOS 8.3 beta 2 to developers
- Toyota currently has ‘no plans’ to adopt CarPlay in the US
- Report: Apple to release iOS public betas
- Apple extends two-step verification to FaceTime, iMessage
- Apple raises size limit for Apps to 4GB
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apple adds vehicles to list of company’s activities in Switzerland
- Cook: Apple Watch to be available outside U.S. in April
- Apple Watch to have low energy ‘Power Reserve’ mode
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, subscribe now
- Cook: Apple Watch ‘designed to be able to replace car keys’
- Apple again under fire as Ericsson escalates legal action
- Apple announces ‘Spring Forward’ event for March 9
- Brikk unveils opulent Apple Watch line priced up to $75,000
- Apple Maps adds new third-party data providers
- Apple ordered to pay $532.9m in iTunes patent infringement case
- Mobile Home Siri remote
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iWalk Extreme Trio 10,000 Universal Battery
- NewerTech NuGuard KX for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Incipio Clarion and Faraday for iPad Air 2
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?