New details on iPod nano 6G software 1.2
The updated user interface for the sixth-generation iPod nano has just been released through iTunes, and we’ve had the opportunity to test it out. Here’s what’s changed between versions 1.1 and 1.2:
Home Screen: Previously, the iPod nano presented users with a set of four icons at a time, allowing you to swipe between multiple Home Screens like an iPod touch or iPhone, and rearrange the icons to move them from screen to screen. The new iPod nano interface presents users with much larger icons that are viewed one at a time with the edges of two additional icons off to the sides of the screen. You can still hold down on an icon to make all of the icons jiggle, re-arranging them in your preferred order.
There’s less need to do that than before, as Apple has removed all of the useless filler icons that were previously in the interface—Playlists, Artists, Songs, Albums, and Genius Mixes—by default, and a new Home Screen settings feature now gives you the ability to turn almost all of these and the other icons on or off. Additionally, you can restore the old user interface with a new feature called “Small Icons,” which turns the prior interface back on.
Fitness: Previously, the iPod nano’s Fitness application had a generic running icon, and included the menu choices Nike + iPod, Pedometer, and History. The new Fitness application has a Nike+ icon, with the choices Walk, Run, and History. Walk is a slightly redesigned version of Pedometer, with additional statistical details now accessible via a horizontal swipe rather than a vertical one. Run contains prior Nike+ options.
Clock: Previously, the Clock application had only two watch faces to choose from; it now has 18 different clock faces. Tapping on the screen brings up a translucent pane with arrows that let you see all 18, which we’ve gathered in this news story. Some of the faces look considerably better than one might expect from still images; one features moving gears, others feature extremely detailed, high-resolution hands, and some offer nice hybrids of digital and analog time. Swiping from right to left brings up stopwatch and timer features.
Wallpaper: Three additional pieces of wallpaper have been added in the new software, bringing the total to 12.
- Apple intros space gray iPod touch, nano, shuffle
- Apple selling refurb seventh-gen iPod nano
- Apple releases software update 1.0.2 for 7th-gen iPod nano
- iPod nano 7G torn down, 220 mAh battery inside
- HardCandy Cases debuts new Nano Clip
- Apple releases iPod nano 7G software 1.0.1
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Japan Display vying to be Apple’s primary display supplier (Update: new plant confirmed)
- Apple comes to the Dow Jones Industrial Average, will replace AT&T
- Apple extends iPhone 5 Battery Replacement Program
- Revamped Apple music service not coming until WWDC; new Apple TV later this year?
- Larger iPad production delayed until later this year, USB 3.0 ports to be added?
- Apple, others likely to reach $415M settlement in poaching lawsuit (Update: settlement approved)
- Apple and HBO in talks for ‘HBO Now’ service launch
- Report: Next-gen ‘iPhone 6s’ to feature 2GB RAM, Apple SIM
- Apple looking to settle with electric car battery company
- Apple pushing out fix next week for ‘FREAK’ security flaw
- Gumdrop Cases Drop Tech Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Uniq Aircraft+ for iPhone 6
- Speck MightyShell + Faceplate for iPhone 6 Plus
- Mobile Home Siri remote
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?