New details on iPod nano 6G software 1.2
The updated user interface for the sixth-generation iPod nano has just been released through iTunes, and we’ve had the opportunity to test it out. Here’s what’s changed between versions 1.1 and 1.2:
Home Screen: Previously, the iPod nano presented users with a set of four icons at a time, allowing you to swipe between multiple Home Screens like an iPod touch or iPhone, and rearrange the icons to move them from screen to screen. The new iPod nano interface presents users with much larger icons that are viewed one at a time with the edges of two additional icons off to the sides of the screen. You can still hold down on an icon to make all of the icons jiggle, re-arranging them in your preferred order.
There’s less need to do that than before, as Apple has removed all of the useless filler icons that were previously in the interface—Playlists, Artists, Songs, Albums, and Genius Mixes—by default, and a new Home Screen settings feature now gives you the ability to turn almost all of these and the other icons on or off. Additionally, you can restore the old user interface with a new feature called “Small Icons,” which turns the prior interface back on.
Fitness: Previously, the iPod nano’s Fitness application had a generic running icon, and included the menu choices Nike + iPod, Pedometer, and History. The new Fitness application has a Nike+ icon, with the choices Walk, Run, and History. Walk is a slightly redesigned version of Pedometer, with additional statistical details now accessible via a horizontal swipe rather than a vertical one. Run contains prior Nike+ options.
Clock: Previously, the Clock application had only two watch faces to choose from; it now has 18 different clock faces. Tapping on the screen brings up a translucent pane with arrows that let you see all 18, which we’ve gathered in this news story. Some of the faces look considerably better than one might expect from still images; one features moving gears, others feature extremely detailed, high-resolution hands, and some offer nice hybrids of digital and analog time. Swiping from right to left brings up stopwatch and timer features.
Wallpaper: Three additional pieces of wallpaper have been added in the new software, bringing the total to 12.
- Apple intros space gray iPod touch, nano, shuffle
- Apple selling refurb seventh-gen iPod nano
- Apple releases software update 1.0.2 for 7th-gen iPod nano
- iPod nano 7G torn down, 220 mAh battery inside
- HardCandy Cases debuts new Nano Clip
- Apple releases iPod nano 7G software 1.0.1
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apple Q4 earnings call coming October 20
- European magazine gets blacklisted by Apple for posting “Bendgate” video
- “Reset All Settings” in iOS 8 may also erase iCloud Drive content
- Apple’s tax deal in Ireland may be illegal according to EU regulators
- Apple releases first iOS 8.1 beta to developers
- iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus hit China Oct. 17, pre-orders Oct. 10
- Report: iOS 8.1, 8.2, 8.3 in simultaneous development
- French fashion retailer Colette to hold in-store Apple event
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- Apps of the Week: OmniFocus 2 for iPad, Transmit, Asphalt Overdrive + more
- Griffin Survivor All-Terrain, Core, and Slim for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Griffin Identity, Reveal cases for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Orbotix Ollie by Sphero
- IK Multimedia iRig Mic HD
- JBL Charge 2 Bluetooth Wireless Speaker
- Bowers & Wilkins C5 Series 2 In-Ear Headphones
- Urban Armor Gear Composite Case for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Speck CandyShell, Card, Grip + Inked cases for iPhone 6
- Incipio DualPro Shine, Edge for iPhone 6 + NGP for iPhone 6 Plus
- PureGear DualTek Extreme Shock Case, HIP Case+ and Slim Shell for iPhone 6
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More