New evidence of future iPhone, iPod touch found in OS 3.0
New evidence suggesting the existence of new, unreleased iPhone and iPod touch hardware has been found in iPhone OS 3.0. Ars Technica reports that the USBDeviceConfiguration.plist file, which lists details about the USB configurations of various hardware models along with their Device IDs and product names, lists not one but two unidentified iPhone models, as well as a new iPod touch model, and two unknown products. The original iPhone, iPhone 3G, original iPod touch, and iPod touch 2G are listed as iPhone1,1; iPhone1,2; iPod1,1; and iPod2,1 respectively, with an increase in the first number representing a significant hardware redesign.
A listing for a product labeled iPhone 2,1 was found in the latest iPhone firmware in January, and has since been joined by products listed as iPhone 3,1 and iPod 3,1; as well as listings for iFPGA and iProd0,1. Two new iPhones on the list simultaneously suggests potentially differing form factors or features, such as a smaller iPhone or a larger one. The report suggests that the iFPGA could be a device that uses field-programmable gate arrays, a type of programmable microchip, but since it doesn’t observe Apple’s standard numbering scheme, it’s unlikely to be intended for release. The iProd, with its 0,1 status, is most likely an early prototype of a new device that is neither an iPhone nor an iPod touch.
- Apple releases iOS 8.4 beta to developers, with new Music app
- Sprint, UK’s EE add Wi-Fi calling with iOS 8.3
- Apple releases iOS 8.3, iCloud Photo Library comes out of beta
- Apple expands iPhone trade-in program to non-Apple devices
- Apple planning to release three iPhone models this year?
- Apple releases iOS 8.3 beta 4
- iLounge Weekly arrives on Monday, subscribe now
- Apple Pay coming to Canada later this year?
- Report: Apple being uncooperative with antitrust monitor
- Leaked cases may hint at ‘iPad Pro’ design details
- L.A. school district seeking restitution over failed iPad program (Updated)
- Apple partners with The Conservation Fund to protect U.S. working forests
- In-store sales of Apple Watch delayed until at least June
- Apple adds WWDC scholarships to promote diversity
- Samsung creates exclusive team to build Apple screens
- Ikea reveals US prices for Wireless Charging Collection
- Soen Audio Transit XS Wireless Speaker
- Divoom Voombox-party Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Scosche MagicMount XL Dash/Window
- Theo Power Jump + Power Jump Wireless for iPhone 6
- VERT Wearable Fitness Monitor
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?