New features found in iPhone OS 4 beta | iLounge News

New features found in iPhone OS 4 beta

image

A number of new features have been found in the latest beta version of iPhone OS 4 for the iPhone and iPod touch. Boy Genius Reports that the new features include the File Sharing functionality seen previously on the iPad, multitasking widgets for iPod playback, accessed by swiping to the left in the app switcher, a button for locking the screen orientation, also found in the app switcher, and the ability to close multiple applications at once from within the app switcher. In addition to these features, Mac Rumors reports that the current beta SDK contains a preset value for video capture that suggests a future iPhone or iPod touch model will be able to capture 720p high-definition video. It has been rumored that the next-generation iPhone will be called the “iPhone HD,” which would work well if the device boasts such a recording feature.

« Visa working on wireless payment iPhone case

Mix: FTC on iAd, Hotel iPad, Adobe, GroovyStand »

Comments

I’m just happy that there’s going to be a screen lock feature so the orientation doesn’t shift on me if I turn over while reading in bed!

Posted by cxc273 on May 5, 2010 at 4:37 PM (CDT)

Agree.  This is long overdue.
Another thing - I’d like to see a software Home button.
Seems ridiculous that you have to use a physical button - one that can/will wear out.  I know the Apple BT keyboard for iPad has a Home key, so I’d like a software “button” on the iPad/iPhone/iPod touch as well.

Posted by sb on May 5, 2010 at 5:02 PM (CDT)

I totally agree: a software home button is long overdue.
I’d also like to see a software volume button, software power button, software dock connector, and software headphone jack.
It seems ridiculous that we have to turn on our phones using a physical button - one that can/will wear out.  It’s equally ridiculous to connect headphones and cables through ports that can/will wear out.  Come on Apple!  You should know better than that!

Posted by dumb ideas on May 5, 2010 at 5:13 PM (CDT)

Wait until people find out they can’t lock the screen in landscape mode.

Posted by Steve on May 5, 2010 at 6:49 PM (CDT)

@sb @dumb ideas.
Software Home Button is a ridiculous idea. It would take up too much space in the UI which could be used by Apps.
Also, you can’t double-tap a software button; Touch screen will deteriorate much sooner than a hardware switch.

The new [redacted] and [redacted] features are awesome, and they fixed the [redacted] and [redacted] bugs. I hope the fix the issues with [redacted] before release.

@steve, I like to call Orientation Lock “I-Hate-Coverflow” mode. BTW, I Hate Coverflow on iPhones, iPod Touches and iPod Nanos.

Posted by Dan Woods on May 6, 2010 at 9:28 PM (CDT)

@dumb ideas i thought the same thing as well, ha

Posted by sarcasm appreciated on May 8, 2010 at 10:32 PM (CDT)