New iHome speaker systems introduced | iLounge News

New iHome speaker systems introduced

iHome, maker of the popular iH5 clock radio speaker system (iLounge Rating: A-), has launched three new iPod audio products.

imageThe iH30 ($150) is a portable boom box for dockable iPods and the iPod shuffle. It features an iPod charging cradle in front and a dedicated iPod shuffle dock on top. The system has an FM radio with presets, an auxiliary line-in for other audio devices, and runs on batteries, AC outlet or car adaptor. It comes with inserts to fit all docking iPods.

imageiHome’s iH26 ($100) is described as a portable travel alarm clock for iPods. Available in white, black or silver, the system allows you to listen and wake up to music on your iPod. It has built-in docks to charge both the iPod and iPod shuffle, and features a folding-speaker design, remote control, auxiliary audio input, battery backup, and a protective carrying case.

imageThe iH36 ($200) is an iPod speaker system designed to be mounted under a kitchen cabinet. It features a charging iPod cradle, iPod shuffle dock, and lets you listen to your iPod, FM radio, TV or weather channels. The iH36 also has a battery back up, large digital display, and includes all mounting hardware.

There’s no word on expected availability for any of the systems.

« iTunes update released; iPod update already available

DLO debuts TransDock Micro FM transmitter/charger »

Comments

The ihome iH30 is exactly what I was looking for from apple.  They didn’t have it but this looks to fill the bill perfectly.  Now to see how it sounds…

Posted by thereitis on March 1, 2006 at 4:34 PM (CST)

Oh my god!

The iH30 is EXACTLY what I envisioned a possible “iPod boombox” from Apple looking like. This is ridiculous.

I don’t really like the designs of the other two but they seem to be more utilitarian in their approach - letting you plug your iPod in anywhere. . .

Posted by JoshSpazJosh on March 1, 2006 at 4:46 PM (CST)

Functionally-speaking, the new products look promising, but it’s unfortunate that their product-naming is so awful. iH26? iH30? iH36? Exactly how is a consumer supposed to remember which model is which?

Sounds like a bunch of industrial designers came up with a bunch of arbitrary numbers over a pizza lunch.

Posted by Argent on March 1, 2006 at 4:59 PM (CST)

Honestly I think that they are all ugly, iH36 is better but could be a little more up to date

Posted by Jonathan Keim on March 1, 2006 at 5:01 PM (CST)

They look like they would have good saund though. The designs are EXCELLENT!. price isn’t to bad for a iHomeeither.

Posted by LawnBoy on March 1, 2006 at 5:51 PM (CST)

I hope they sound better than they look. I was going to get the Bose speakers for my iPod Mini, (it’s like the iH30 only no FM radio) until I saw the price $300. The sounds from the Bose is amazing, it also charges your iPod.

Posted by CandyG on March 1, 2006 at 9:05 PM (CST)

Apple’s Hi-Fi looks exactly how I would have expected it to look from apple.  You guys SERIOUSLY need to take a second look at Apple products if you think otherwise.

This iH30 looks very cheap and extremely “basic”.  Make the casing blue or pink and it looks exactly like something I would buy a child from Toys-R-Us.

The iH26 completely lacks any attention to design what-so-ever, reminds me of an alarm clock in a cheap hotel.

The iH36 is what it is.  No real complains, but nothing possitive either.

If apple took the features of the iH30 and the tightly gripped craddle for the iPod, but applied it to the design of the Hi-Fi I would buy one right away.

I’m still going to check out the audio quality Hi-Fi as soon as I can and consider buying one, this thing however(iH30) I’ll stay far away from, no matter what it sounds like.

I have a JVC KaBoom box, w/ AUX in and a remot pocket on the shoulder strap, which holds the iPod perfectly, so I have a portable boombox covered.  Somethings that looks really nice on a shelf w/ an iPod Dock is what I’m lacking… the Hi-Fi seemes to be a very good option, just need to actually hear it.

Posted by LilAlienD in Maryland on March 1, 2006 at 9:26 PM (CST)

YESSS!  The iH26 is the perfect reasonably priced speaker dock system for my bathroom!  Why can’t anyone else offer a low priced, basic speaker/dock system?

Posted by MNGuy on March 1, 2006 at 9:32 PM (CST)

MNGuy,
I’m going to assume your joking on that one… cause that’s the majority of whats out there.

I have a Logic-3 iStation myself, works just fine for something SMALL, portable, can dock to my iBook, and can run off AC or Batteries.

Posted by LilAlienD in Maryland on March 1, 2006 at 10:01 PM (CST)

Looking at the iH36, that looks perfect.  My wife wanted a “CD Player” in the kitchen of the new house we are buying, so I started looking for the under cabinet type.  Tried talking her into a Mac Mini with a 15” LCD TV/Monitor, but she aint going for it (but honey, you can have the TV and a computer…no dice).  This however is pretty cool.  She’s sort of anti-gadget and would never use an MP3 player as a portable player, but with this she wouldn’t even have to see it (great use for my old 3g 20GB).  I’m sure the sound isn’t awe-inspiring, but the hidden dock and 3 line display has me sold.  $200 is a bit steep, but not out of line (unless the audio sounds really crappy).  And I wasn’t that disappointed in the ipod hi-fi.  I would buy one, but not for $350.  $250 and it would be more appealing (can’t wait for the reviews to come in).

Posted by rgs2 on March 1, 2006 at 10:47 PM (CST)

I like the iH30.. “cheap” and “basic”.. oh I don’t know .. maybe some reviewers should actually SEE the product in person before judging it.
I like the fact that it has a Shuffle port. Nice touch.

Posted by Boris34 on March 1, 2006 at 11:45 PM (CST)

Why are some of you guys comparing the new iHome products with apple’s HiFi speaker system.

Completely different products if you ask me.

Someone shopping for a “serious” speaker system is not going to look at the ihome product line just like some one looking for a practical way of waking up to their ipod and being able to use it in the kitchen is not going to look at speaker systems like the HiFi.  They are just too different to be compared.

Posted by 3rdEye on March 2, 2006 at 1:51 AM (CST)

“Someone shopping for a “serious

Posted by Joshua on March 2, 2006 at 9:17 AM (CST)

Why isn’t there a remote control for the iH30?

Posted by JaDo on March 2, 2006 at 12:37 PM (CST)

JaDo: It may use the same remote you can buy separately for the iH5. I see a red port on the front of the iH26 and the iH30, which may be for an IR remote. No promises, though.

Posted by Hrothgar on March 2, 2006 at 3:17 PM (CST)

People needing to defend every single apple product and bash every single competitor to an apple product ... even if it is designed to work with an apple product!  Kind of pathetic, really.

Posted by Joey Geraci on March 3, 2006 at 1:03 PM (CST)

Hrothgar and Jado, I think the iH30 will have a remote, because there is a red IR port on the front, pretty good clue.

Something really cool I saw on iHome’s website about the Ih36 kitchen product is that it appears to be able to display what song, artist, and album is playing (just check out the pictures on the site). I really hope it does that!

And to the haters out there, at least iHome is coming up with ORIGINAL ideas instead of the same iPod stuff we have been seeing for years.

Posted by peachfuzz on March 7, 2006 at 6:30 PM (CST)