New iPhone 3GS boot ROM thwarts jailbreakers [updated] | iLounge News

New iPhone 3GS boot ROM thwarts jailbreakers [updated]

Apple has begun to ship new iPhone 3GS units with an updated boot ROM, breaking the exploit commonly used to jailbreak the device. iClarified reports that the new ROM—iBoot-359.3.2—is not vulnerable to the “24kpwn” exploit, and began shipping last week. According to a Twitter post from “MuscleNerd,” this is the first time in the history of the iPhone and iPod touch that hackers have seen Apple update the boot ROM in the middle of a product cycle. Apple has in the past attempted to block jailbreaking through software updates, but this strategy has been less and less effective as the platform has matured, with most recent software updates being jailbroken either hours after, or in some cases, prior to, their official release.

Update: A member of the iPhone Dev-Team, a group that publishes tools to jailbreak the iPhone and iPod touch, has clarified that the new boot ROM does not in fact prevent jailbreaking, but instead makes it more difficult to reboot a jailbroken iPhone 3GS once it’s been turned on. According to Wired, without the 24kpwn exploit, jailbreaking will still be possible, but all jailbroken units with the new boot ROM will need to be tethered to a computer in order to turn on if turned off or if they run out of battery life.

« Speck debuts SeeThru case for iPhone 3G, 3GS

App Mix: Jeter, Brunswick, Snapfinger, Volumatic »

Comments

Wow thankfully I got mine before this happened. I was so excited to finally be able to jailbreak just yesterday, having bought my 3GS about a month ago. This is going to make it a lot harder to have freedom to use our devices as we wish going forward.

Posted by mrfett in Washington, D.C. on October 14, 2009 at 12:18 PM (CDT)

Unless an exploit is found with the new hardware it should increase the value of mine on ebay whenever the next iPhone is released.

Posted by Ryan on October 14, 2009 at 12:21 PM (CDT)

I’m still not sure what Apple hopes to accomplish with stuff like this.

The general odds are somebody is going to figure out a way to break this as well. If that happens, there went a bunch of money spent on extensive security QA testing to thwart the hackers.

Result: Apple loses.

If hackers aren’t able to break this, lots of people who have no interest in the iPhone unless they can use it with whatever carrier they want are going to simply not buy any new iPhones.

Result: Apple loses.

I’m not seeing the upside for Apple. Seems they’re more interested in maintaining control of their hardware even when doing so is guaranteed to cost them financially.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on October 14, 2009 at 1:03 PM (CDT)

This isn’t a Spy vs. Spy game on Apple’s part, I suspect the motivation behind this is to reduce warranty claims. Not everyone that jailbreaks does it correctly and/or installs unapproved apps that may at least temporarily disable the device, which may then cause the device to end up in the warranty exchange bin. I understand the mindset “this is my device, not Apple’s”, but it is Apple’s warranty program not yours.

Posted by rockmyplimsoul on October 14, 2009 at 1:12 PM (CDT)

@rockmyplimsoul: Since you have to be able to successfully restore the device to factory settings before they’re going to honor the warranty, I’m skeptical there’s a possibility of it saving Apple money under your proposed reasoning. If you do somehow utterly brick it in your clumsy and/or stupid messings about, you will not be receiving any warranty service because you’ll never be able to restore it.

Never mind that I’m already skeptical that you can physically damage an iPhone just by installing software on it unless somebody made an overclocking hack I’m unaware of. Jailbroke or not, Apple should be honoring the warranty in my opinion. Seems to me the whole jailbreaking matter is just a flimsy excuse for Apple to bail on their responsibility.

Never mind that if they weren’t such obsessive control freaks in the first place, this discussion wouldn’t be taking place.

“How dare you use your device in a way other than the great Jobs decreed!”

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on October 14, 2009 at 1:28 PM (CDT)

If you can make it, somebody can break it

Posted by Xing on October 14, 2009 at 2:53 PM (CDT)

People thought I was crazy (and maybe I am) when I was buying extra iPhones to use as backup.  But as of today I am so happy that I did!  They are all jailbroken and unlocked.  Those creeps at (cr)apple can’t scare me anymore…

Posted by The Digital Alchemist on October 14, 2009 at 7:39 PM (CDT)

Apple is doing this to protect companies like EA, gameloft, yahoo, and other known and small developers who launch their apps on the app store, by jail breaking, you can get all the apps free.  That means that developers get nothing but an small amount of money since more ppl are jailbreaking their phones… for this reason i’m against jailbreaking… if you wish to create an app for the iPhone do it legally and if you want to get apps for the iPhone do it legally as well and pay for the apps.

Posted by Hansel Jr on October 14, 2009 at 7:58 PM (CDT)

Its’ about one thing “control”.

Posted by gear on October 15, 2009 at 6:54 AM (CDT)

@gear
Yes, it is control.
Control of the Music they are contractually obligated to protect for the artists.
Control of the Apps they are contractually obligated to protect for the developers.
Control of the Network Utilisation they are contractually obligated to protect for the Network Providers.
Control of the User Experience they are obligated to provide to consumers under consumer law.

If a User breaks their contract with Apple, and Jailbreaks their phone (which they may or may not be entitled to do under consumer law), and the Music, Apps or Network are compromised, Apple is answerable to the artists, developers and network providers.
While Apple would no longer be answerable to individual consumers (who have broken their user agreement with Apple), they would be answerable to consumer groups and The Media, who love attacking Apple whenever the User Experience is compromised, (but fail to blink when MS’s incompetence takes out an entire product, affecting millions of product owners)

Posted by Dan Woods on October 15, 2009 at 7:20 AM (CDT)

My friend jailbroke and unlocked his 3G so he could use his device in his home country when he went back.  Then he tried to install an MMS app and his phone never worked again.  He took it to Apple and they replaced it on the spot even days after his warranty expired.

I’m saying this because his phone being bricked did cost apple money in this case.

Posted by Ryan on October 15, 2009 at 7:50 AM (CDT)

How do you get free apps by jailbreaking? Jailbreaking lets you install apps not sanctioned by Apple, but I don’t know anything about using pirated software. Jailbreaking lets you tether, access the phone’s file system, and install your own programs. It’s not about stealing other people’s code, AFAIK.

Posted by mrfett in Washington, D.C. on October 15, 2009 at 12:21 PM (CDT)

The apps cost so little I am against jailbreaking to steal them. Yes that is the primary focus of those who jailbreak the iPhone. They feel all software should be free to them and only suckers pay for anything.

IMHO I agree with Apple these self centered thieves need to migrate to the Android or Palm Pre, they have no business messing with the iPhone.

Everybody wins with Apple’s control of the iPhone and similar new products. They are paid for developing well thought out hardware, developers are rewarded well for developing great applications that are quite useful. and the consumer has no fear of his life’s saving being stolen by rouge syndicates who create software simply for that purpose.

Posted by Victor on October 15, 2009 at 12:50 PM (CDT)

Yeah, no. Not even close Victor. Jailbreaking does not facilitate piracy in any way. At all. You are incorrect.

Jailbreaking the phone allows the installation of software that has not gone through Apple’s approval process. There are a lot of applications that are very useful that Apple will not allow on the device, and there are developers who do not want to pay for the privilege of running their own software on a device they own.

This is not about people who think paying for software is for “suckers”. This is about a lot more than that, namely controlling the device you own.

Posted by mrfett in Washington, D.C. on October 16, 2009 at 2:30 AM (CDT)

Mr. Fett. YES. Jailbreaking iPhone enables you to do a number of things, including installing pirated versions of commercially available apps. Google iPhone piracy rates and see the numbers.

Posted by Dennis on October 16, 2009 at 8:09 AM (CDT)

I can’t speak to the accusation that most jailbreakers do so to get out of paying for apps, but IMO it’s not worth the hassle.

I jailbreaked (jailbroke?) for one reason: because I paid full retail for my phone and AT&T still refused to provide service without a data plan. To add insult to injury, their data network doesn’t even work around here despite having three stores that all sell iPhones.

Believe me, I hate the whole jailbreak experience (excluding GVmobile and Cycorder), but until either Apple gives me the unlock code for my phone, AT&T allows me a voice-only option, or one of you good people gives me the $700 to cover the cost of the phone plus T-Mo’s ETF, that’s the way it’s gonna be.

Posted by Paul on October 16, 2009 at 9:50 AM (CDT)

@15: So? running anything other than some sort of asininely closed gate platform like the stock iPhone enables, among other things, piracy. It’s the cost of freedom. It also IS freedom.

Where do you people come from? Where the potential of some developer, often a corporation, imagining they’re losing money, and it pretty much purely imaginary money they lose from piracy, is more important to you than your own freedom and choices. You are not just willing to make such a sacrifice, you’re downright eager to cheer lead for the non-benefits of such a sacrifice. I’ll never understand this viewpoint. Someone got to you people and put the chip in your brain a long time ago is all I can figure.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on October 16, 2009 at 9:50 AM (CDT)

Dennis,

Are you referring to that ReadWriteWeb article? The one that states:

“According to their data, which includes 4 million jailbroken devices, 38% have at least one pirated application installed. Pinch Media says this estimate is low since pirates often take extra steps to avoid detection. Still, it’s worth noting that this percentage is nowhere near being the majority of jailbreaking users. There are more people who just want extra control over their device and not an opportunity to steal apps.”

The same article explains that a user with a jailbroken phone can go to a pirate torrent site and download cracked copies of commercial applications. So I mispoke. Jailbreaking your phone is a completely separate thing from downloading pirated software. When you jailbreak an iPhone you get Cydia, a repository of both commercial and freeware software that has been made available to users. Although a jailbroken phone CAN then be used to run pirated apps, that is NOT the primary use, nor is any information about piracy provided or promoted by the developers of the jailbreak hacks. I’ve been jailbreaking iPhones for 2 years and did not realize, until I did that Google search, that there was any pirate software capability out there. As the article says, I’m in the majority.

Posted by mrfett in Washington, D.C. on October 16, 2009 at 8:41 PM (CDT)

me and my friend have both iphones and we have them jailbroken because of Cydia, we never really were interested in piracy.. i “steal” games for comp or for other consoles n stuff just to see if it’s good..
and when i’m impressed i just go and buy it..
i wanna tell you that piracy is somesort of a good thing.. it’s like using a demo but going through all of the levels :P.
as it was wrote on a forum by Dr. M:“i download games just to see if it’s good or bad, and if it’s good i write about it on the internet and buy it.!

Posted by tristaa.n on December 14, 2009 at 1:44 PM (CST)

Nevermind free apps… how about some damn FUNCTION!  Like I don’t know… run an app in the background so your current sesson of an app isn’t lost because you got a call.  For examnple Glympse…you get a call, the app closes, but you open it back up during a call, you’re not where you left off.  Games, same thing… or how about customizing sounds for receiving messages?  You know.. like every other phone in the universe?  Or how about a background other than for the screen that says “slide to unlock.”  ALL simple fixes that apple could easily allow in an update if they actually gave a damn about what their customers WANTED. But..they don’t…ah well, I can’t wait until my contract is up.  Eff this iphone.  And by the way… I don’t have a jailbroken phone, and I pay for all my apps.  Even the ones that weren’t worth 99 cents plus tax. I don’t want free apps, I want a personal phone.

Posted by Joel on March 29, 2010 at 6:05 PM (CDT)