New iPod auto installs and photos | iLounge News

New iPod auto installs and photos

After the overwhelming response received from the Explorer iPod dock install, I have been pushing the docked iPod for the car concept like crazy. I was already planning on doing one in my Volkswagen GTi, but also couldn’t resist adding one to an H2 that I had in the shop in the meantime. You guys asked for more, so here they are. By the way, the VW piece is the first one of these that I have done to date that could actually be built to order and shipped out so that nearly anyone could install it. While the Explorer took extensive in-vehicle work, as did the Hummer, the VW requires no modification to the vehicle beyond removing the factory ashtray and replacing it with the dock base. The finish could be whatever anyone wanted as could the lighting, logos or
whatever, just to let everyone know.

« Beware of iPod net scams

“Hardware Hacking” book includes iPod »

Comments

Or you could do this:

[image]http://homepage.mac.com/alric/carpc.jpg[/image]

I still love my iPod..

Posted by Alric on February 9, 2004 at 9:59 AM (PDT)

No image html…

Posted by Alric on February 9, 2004 at 10:00 AM (PDT)

Alric, does that control your iPod?

Posted by Ryan on February 9, 2004 at 11:15 AM (PDT)

It controls a whole PC that lives in the trunk of my Passat.

It sort of evolved from my previous iPod install and my desire to have losslessly compressed music, gps..etc.

Posted by Alric on February 9, 2004 at 11:49 AM (PDT)

Sick!

But thats not really a “or you could do this” .....I aint gonna buy a pc, let alone put one in my pocket when I get out of my car.  smile

I would like to see more photos though!

Hey, were you trying to jack this thread?? Maybe steal a little thunder??

Posted by Ryan on February 9, 2004 at 11:58 AM (PDT)

Now boys, you BOTH have lovely….

.....installs

Posted by Daddo on February 9, 2004 at 12:13 PM (PDT)

“Hey, were you trying to jack this thread?? Maybe steal a little thunder??”

Oh no, far from it!  Remember I started with an iPod install and the carpc sort of evolved from that.

I’ll try to get more pics soon and will post the link in this thread.

For the record,  I am a Mac user for everything except the carpc.

Cheers,

Posted by Alric on February 9, 2004 at 12:15 PM (PDT)

I know man, i was just kidding….Ill keep an eye out for the link. Gracias!

Posted by Ryan on February 9, 2004 at 12:22 PM (PDT)

I’m thinking of a way to make a nice mount in my Lancer whether I use the dock or not…if anyone is thinking along these lines and wants to help me brainstorm that’d be cool, just e-mail me

Posted by RegalBegal in New England on February 9, 2004 at 12:49 PM (PDT)

Wow! Love the install. Very clean. Professional.

I just wish ice installer here in Australia is into iPod install already. I am driving a VW Golf and would love to have mine done like your GTI.

Posted by Marcus on February 9, 2004 at 4:31 PM (PDT)

I have a MkIV Jetta.  When can I order one of these? smile

Posted by turbora on February 9, 2004 at 7:02 PM (PDT)

I have a question for the installer: the Dock pit seems very wide, and there’s not much bracing the pod in the hole. What happens when you have to slam on the brakes? It looks like the tiny card of the dock would just snap.

Posted by Prudence in Somerville, MA on February 9, 2004 at 7:07 PM (PDT)

Group post:

RegalBegal,
I would like to help you figure out a solution for your Lancer. Just e-mail me.

Marcus,
I could build you a plate and I’m sure one of your local installers could put it in for you. The install itself is not too complicated. Thanks for the positive feedback!

Turbora,
E-mail me. I can build you one right away!!

Prudence,
The chamfer, or bevel around the dock is indeed 3/8” deep, but this is necessary to allow the iPod to sit angled in the dock like it is desgined to do since I am using 5/8” thick material. However, there is NO danger of the force of a stop damaging the dock. You would have to use your foot or maybe a hammer to accomplish this. The apple dock actually supports the entire iPod in a cradle. The connector is protected by the fit of the iPod into the dock. Further, the GTi iPod actually rests on the dash, providing complete support, but the Explorer and H2 installs have no bracing and still fit firmly and will never have any problems with the connector breaking. I have actually ridden in all three cars (I own one of them) and have hit potholes and have both braked and accelerated suddenly, and the iPods don’t even flinch. Perhaps the pictures don’t show this clearly, and I understand your concern, but I wouldn’t post these if I hadn’t spent a lot of time designing them to be functional as well as attractive…

Posted by 1.8tuner on February 9, 2004 at 9:16 PM (PDT)

Sorry guys but those pictures look stupid. The iPod looks completely out of place and ruins the look of the dashboard. I’m afraid the iPod isn’t meant for the car it just won’t look right, possibly put it in the boot and just have a remote in the front, but thats far from ideal.

Posted by Pecker on February 10, 2004 at 6:47 AM (PDT)

none of the iPods are on the “dashboard”

it is quite ideal, and in person they look great and getting a lot of requests for similar installs, so obviously there is a demand.

I don’t want to go to the rear of my car to remove the iPod.

The rear of the car will not let you see the display, hense giving you no control over playlists, artists, etc.

Don’t like it? Don’t want it? Then don’t do it.

Learn constructive criticism

Your name is ideal

Posted by Ryan on February 10, 2004 at 7:12 AM (PDT)

All feedback is constructive. The look of the iPod just ruins what was otherwise a rather nice looking “centre console”. It would be better if the iPod was black but it isn’t, if you were able to feed the track information into the cd player display/sat nav screen/etc (if there was one) then that would be nice. Basically it just doesn’t look right and your right if you don’t like it don’t buy it, but just cause I don’t like it doesn’t mean I won’t say I don’t like it. If you didn’t have people criticising your products then it effectively becomes an “ego boost thread”, or is that what you were wanting?

Posted by Pecker on February 11, 2004 at 2:26 AM (PDT)

“Sorry guys but those pictures look stupid.”

You call that constructive? Everthing you say is just your opinion on what you would like….or what you would do? These are done. The owners are overy pleased, and more people now see the possibilities, as no this was not an “ego boost thread” but rather an inspiration thread, to show that you dont need to be stock. We have now spent hours and hours answering questions on solutions for other peoples cars. Cars form all over the world, that will NEVER see it into Atlanta let alone into see the installer. These are not our “products” but rather our cars, and customers cars, that have been modified to use an iPod in the car as intended. This work is done out of love, plain and simple and you can see it in the thought process, problem solving, and craftsmanship.We would not waste time on bs installs.

“if you were able to feed the track information…..”
Alpines new iPod integrasted technology will not be out for few more months at least.

Pecker, its all good, we just disagree.

Be Cool.

Posted by Ryan on February 11, 2004 at 3:21 AM (PDT)

Indeed we do disagree.

Of course people’s opinions differ thats what makes the world interesting. I personally don’t like the idea nor the design (based upon those pictures) of an iPod in a car. Others obviously do.

But variety is the spice of life! Ciao

Posted by Pecker on February 11, 2004 at 5:59 AM (PDT)

Ryan:

Nice install, you guys obviously do quailty work.

However, I’m a geezer and I don’t wanna look down to change a playlist or track. I want my iPod screen to be duplicated on the screen of my head unit.

This puts it at just below eye level and that will have to do untill I get a car stereo with voice recognition technology or maybe a heads up display on my windshield wink

So far, it looks like only Alpine is gonna be able to do that. I don’t really want my iPod on display whe the car is parked, either. I would never leave it in the dock.

I don’t know where you guys live, but when I venture in to the big bad city I don’t leave anything in plain sight. Crackheads will bust your window to steal two quarters in your console. Why advertise the fact that yur car has a custom stereo with the dock?  I’m in full stealth mode. No Rockford Fosgtae/JL Audio “steal me ” stickers on my car.

Different strokes, right?

Posted by Pete LaV on February 11, 2004 at 10:34 AM (PDT)

I dont have stickers on any of my cars.

My ipod goes right in my pocket when i get out. That is the beauty of having a dock in the car….its not a pain in the butt.

I live in the big bad city and the fact is, more suburban kids break into cars than crack heads. (at least in my experience, and Ive had a lot;)

all but my car (the explorer) looks total factory and even on mine, it is hard to tell what is going on in my console looking through the tint (even with a flashlight at night) and I do not have an aftermarket stereo, straight factory.

Like you said, different strokes

Peace

Posted by Ryan on February 11, 2004 at 1:43 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >