New iPod External Battery Pack released | iLounge News

New iPod External Battery Pack released

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Monday, June 28, 2004
News Categories: iPod Accessories

picGadget Accessories has released an iPod External Battery Pack featuring a dock connection for 3rd generation iPods, On/Off switch, LED power indicator, and uses four AA batteries. It also charges the iPod’s internal battery while connected to the battery pack. The price is $32.99. Gadget Accessories also carries a USB to dock cable for iPods for $11.99.

« Pacific Rim Technologies releases iCradle for iPod

Mac: El iPodo 1.1.0 released »

Comments

looks nice

Posted by henry on June 28, 2004 at 7:37 AM (PDT)

No info on how long this lil battery pack will last? I could build my own look @ this http://drewperry.co.uk/index.php?do=iPod&ipod=battery

Posted by AZ on June 28, 2004 at 8:02 AM (PDT)

If you don’t need a super compact battery backup, and you are on the road, in another country, or on a bus (like I was on a recent march on Washington), use a 12-volt, 5ah, rechargeable Sealed Lead Acid (SLA) battery available at radio shack.  It is normally used for home alarm systems as a backup, lasts FOREVER on a charge, and can, unlike iPod-only batteries, to charge cell phones, cameras, etc, with a 12v plug which is easily added.  About $25 total, doesn’t leak = any position ok.  I keep one in my camera bag, and it is powerful enough to run an air compressor for a flat tire in a pinch.  It measures about 3.5” X 2” X 2”.

Posted by Brent on June 28, 2004 at 8:57 AM (PDT)

AZ,

ever try taking that through airport security?

Posted by jwc110869 in Rochester, NY on June 28, 2004 at 9:32 AM (PDT)

AZ, How would you hook that up to your iPod??

Posted by me2 on June 28, 2004 at 10:23 AM (PDT)

Why are these external battery things so dam expensive!!

Posted by Pete. on June 28, 2004 at 2:02 PM (PDT)

Wow, and I thought my Belkin battery pack was bulky.

Posted by A on June 28, 2004 at 5:13 PM (PDT)

Does anyone know with the external battery of Belkin cannot charge the ipod, but this battery pack can?

Posted by Felin on June 29, 2004 at 1:43 AM (PDT)

Now you see…this pack isn’t bulky…infact, allowing for the way the belkin unit has the fins on it to attach to your ipod this unit is small. Instead of a 4 across battery alignment they have gone for a 2 + 2 format which amkes it about the size of your ipod in height and a fair bit narrower. I bought one of hese when i first heard about them because i was frustrated with the Belkin option…i hate the idea of “sticking” my ipod to the battery unit (especially as it doesn’t fit whith an Exo on). This unit lasts about the same as the Belkin and for me the longer cable means i can keep this in my pocket whilst the ipod is on my belt. The picture really doesn’t do it justice…this is a far better unit than the Belkin offering.

Posted by raggedphoenix on June 29, 2004 at 6:11 AM (PDT)

How long does it last?  Does the cable seem strong enough to withstand a whole lot of bends inside a bag?

Posted by Earl on June 29, 2004 at 9:15 AM (PDT)

Out of one set of Duracell batteries i got 1 full recharge (the ipod had stopped playing ...got caught out and about) plus 2 hours or so…(total about 10 hours) if used inconjunction with a partially used battery you get a little more…so this at least doubles your battery time. The cord seems very robust and will easily withstand general “bag"usage…infact it feels like it will take alot more than that…but i haven’t tried to break it.

The one advantage that i see with this unit is that the iPod battery doesn’t like being totally discharged so this helps to drop charge into the unit when you need it most and when your iPod battery is most vulnerable.

I admit that the figures i have quoted here are from memory as i never really thought i would be asked about it… but i was very impressed with this unit…although i was using high end batteries… the cheapies don’t even get a full charge into the battery…so a lot depends on the “brand” you buy…

Posted by Raggedphoenix on June 29, 2004 at 10:17 AM (PDT)

I’ve got almost the exact same charger for my Sony Clie. It’s only a little bigger than the 4 AA batteries and i use Rayovac I-C3 rechargeables in it. The batteries last a while and only take 15 minutes to recharge. As for the price I only paid $15 bucks as it’s only a little plastic with a connector. A good deal if the price were cheaper.

Posted by Jon on June 29, 2004 at 11:18 AM (PDT)

Found it on ebay from the company for $19.99.

Posted by Jon on June 29, 2004 at 11:57 AM (PDT)

‘Out of one set of Duracell batteries i got 1 full recharge”

Duracell AAs are pretty weak - maybe 1100 mAH each if you’re lucky.

For highest capacity, try some of the new 2300 mAH NIMHs.

There’s a good list of *real* battery performance here:

Posted by NIMH on June 29, 2004 at 1:27 PM (PDT)

Don’t waste your money on this expensive piece of plastic. You can find the identical item on ebay for under $15.

I have a charger like this one for my Palm Tungsten T, only the connector is different. I’d definitly recommend it to anyone.

Posted by otakud on July 1, 2004 at 1:21 AM (PDT)

I should also note that in the auction link that I posted above, the actual pictured item is for the Palm PDA’s. The connector pictured is the Palm Universal Connector instead of the iPod 3G connector, but this is probably just because they don’t want to have to take 10 different pictures for the exact same device with just a different connector.

So - bid away, I’ll probably nab one soon.

Posted by otakud on July 1, 2004 at 1:30 AM (PDT)

i bought the one from gadget accessories and it works pretty well if the ipod is pretty well charged. have a similar one for my treo 600 and it works well too. the convenience of AA batteries when travelling make both light to carry as i pick up batteries on the road. much better than the belkin battery pack in price without scratching the ipod.
igo.com now has a treo 600 and ipod tip for their new compact digital accessory charger.

Posted by eddie spencer on July 2, 2004 at 11:32 PM (PDT)

I must agree with otakud.  I bought a charger off that ebay site.  Very fast delivery, and looks exactly the same (probably is the same thing) as the one on the Gadget Accessories site.  $20 with shipping.  I have yet to try it out, but as far as the ebay site goes, thumbs up.

Posted by Peter on July 6, 2004 at 5:02 AM (PDT)

it says for the third generation iPods, im not very well informed on the subject, but does that include iPod Mini’s?

because this seems like a perfect option as compareable to the BTI huge battery, and the belkin which is said not to work with mini’s.

Posted by BondagedLLama on July 11, 2004 at 4:31 PM (PDT)

I think the issue with the belkin is that it clips on to your ipod. The mini is obviously smaller so the clip can’t work anymore.

The connector should be the same right?

Posted by Hungry Man on July 27, 2004 at 2:02 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >