New iPod nano, movie rentals rumored; analyst skeptical | iLounge News

New iPod nano, movie rentals rumored; analyst skeptical

Apple will use its Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) next month to announce the second-generation iPod nano and full-length iTunes movie rentals, according to report by Think Secret. The website claims that the new nanos will feature increased capacity (6GB and 8GB) and come in multiple colors. Think Secret says Apple has relented to the Hollywood studios and will offer a subscription-based movie download service. Apple has reportedly already made agreements with Disney, Universal, Paramount, and Warner Bros.

Following the Apple news site’s reports, American Technology Research analyst Shaw Wu said he doesn’t expect such announcements to come at WWDC. “While we would like to see Apple refresh its nano sooner than later, our analysis continues to indicate a late Sept. to Oct. launch and ramp as more likely,” Wu said in a research note. “There is a first time for everything, but keep in mind WWDC is a Mac event and has not been used in the past for major iPod announcements. We anticipate a separate event to announce new iPod related products.”

« Report: Nvidia to supply chip in next-generation video iPod

iPod software dissection reveals possible new features »

Comments

I can virtually guarantee that the new Nanos will be released very soon because I finally purchased a 4g Nano a couple days ago…. Same thing happened when I got my 4G clickwheel iPod…they went color the next month…and after I bought my wife a Mini, the 2G ones came out the very next week… :)

Posted by Aaron Eischens on July 18, 2006 at 1:33 PM (CDT)

Oh! Dumb move Hollywood. Apple was trying to help you out! I can already get movies on my iPod with a little software found easily online. Why not make people buy movies twice?! I have the DVD, but maybe I don’t want to spend the time converting to MPEG-4… easy money on iTunes.

With a subscription service… I’ll just spend the time.

Also, this iPod video service is never going to reach it’s full potential until Apple puts a better battery in these things. Right now there’s barely enough juice to power a whole movie. Good luck trying to watch Lord Of The Rings on one charge cycle.

Posted by Andrew on July 19, 2006 at 12:00 AM (CDT)

I think movie rentals are great…I travel a lot and don’t want to buy a movie I am only going to watch once. Let me rent a file that implodes after 48 or 72 hours.  And while I would agree that better battery life is needed, would anyone really want to watch LOTR, or any other epic movie, on an ipod?  In contrast to that comment; however, I want video on my nano as well (small screen won’t bother me when commuting to and from work).

Posted by Dan on July 19, 2006 at 1:20 PM (CDT)

hmm.. new nanos.

Wonder if august announcement wud be true, but i still feel its goin to be sept-oct.

Well, anyone wanna buy my 4gb nano??;)

Posted by umang on July 20, 2006 at 7:07 PM (CDT)

movie rentals are okay i guess… but i’ve been dying to put movies onto my ipod, anyone have any suggestions as to the software?

Posted by kathryn on August 1, 2006 at 8:04 PM (CDT)

how can i get free videos on my ipod

Posted by kelsie kelin on January 13, 2008 at 3:03 PM (CST)