New iPod parody ads appear in NYC | iLounge News

New iPod parody ads appear in NYC

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Monday, May 24, 2004
News Categories: iPod

Gizmodo reports that a reader has spotted several iPod parody ads in New York City commenting on the recent Iraqi prisoner-abuse scandal. The ad depicts the silhouette of a hooded prisoner hooked up to electric wires. The tagline reads, “10,000 volts in your pocket, guilty or innocent” and says iRaq instead of iPod in the upper right corner.

« Photos of iSkin’s “Show some Skin” event posted

iPod division can be a good thing »

Comments

Hmmm…let’s see…we mentally humiliate their POWs to soften them up for interrogation, they behead our innocent civilians.  Which one deserves more outrage?

I think the ads are very clever, but anyone who really understands the business of war understands what was being done as necessary, and far more humane than what Saddam was doing to them in the same prison.

Posted by another view on May 25, 2004 at 3:41 AM (PDT)

business of war??? that’s sounds like a term bush might use… and just because what the american troops DID was ‘far more humane’ than what saddam did, still does not make it RIGHT.

Posted by Christian on May 25, 2004 at 3:48 AM (PDT)

We’re probably going on a bit on a tangent here, but…
I’m not a big Bush supporter, but I do think the war has accomplished some positive things (the world is a much better place without Saddam and his spawn), but I DO support our troops, and I also believe they were following orders by humiliating the POWs (just the confirmed insurgents, BTW), which is a psychological TOOL of war.  OK, maybe business was a little to Bush-y, but you get the idea.

Posted by another view on May 25, 2004 at 3:58 AM (PDT)

Oh, OK “Only obeying orders” is a legitimate excuse? As I recall that was exactly the defence offered by SS troops who shot PoWs, concentration camp guards.

And I suppose that 9/11 entitles the USA to ignore its obligations under the Geneva Convention, and to ignore criticism from pinko organisations like the ICRC? Psychological and physical torture are not just ‘tools of war’ they are illegal, and they are a feature of what the USA was supposed to be fighting against. And humiliations have been the tip of a very nasty iceberg, which has also included beatings and rapes.

And it has not been ‘just confirmed insurgents’ who have been tortured - 90% of detainees turn out to be innocent. And lets not forget how many detainees have died in coalition captivity - some of them after suffering brutal beatings.

This is a matter for shame and apology, not for mealy mouthed excuses.

The fact that a US civilian has been beheaded on TV is, of course, completely and utterly repugnant and cannot be justified or excused. But it does not excuse any deviation from the civilised rules of conduct we expect from the armed forces of the world’s leading democratic nation, and especially not in a war which purports to being fought in the name of international law.

Posted by Jackonicko on May 25, 2004 at 4:27 AM (PDT)

Jackonicko, a man of your intelligence surely must have dug a ‘little deeper’ into the whole nick berg beheading sham.  In addition to all the glaring suspicious circumstances, it surely was wonderful timing, wasn’t it?

Posted by lurker on May 25, 2004 at 4:36 AM (PDT)

Lurker, you’re not serious, are you?  You either think it was staged, or performed by the US, I assume?  Either way, you’re disgusting.  Go talk to his family and see if they think it was staged.  Do you also think 9/11 was a sham, or the holocaust was staged?  We’re dealing with sub-human animals here who are capable of anything. I assume you would rather leave Saddam and Taliban in power?

Posted by another view on May 25, 2004 at 4:42 AM (PDT)

Jacko and lurker.
Both of your comments are insightful, logical and well thought out.

You don’t belong here. wink

Posted by doctorjuggles on May 25, 2004 at 4:46 AM (PDT)

Jacko, BTW, I respect what you’re saying, and in another time I would have agreed with you, but I think the world is a much more dangerous place than it used to be. Our methods of fighting terrorism and providing safety to Americans need to be revised and, in some ways, brought “down” to a level closer to what we’re fighting against. It’s sad but true. Ask anyone who lost people on 9/11 (I did) or knows people fighting in Iraq (I do), and overall you’ll hear similar views.

Posted by another view on May 25, 2004 at 5:27 AM (PDT)

I know 2 persons that worked in WTC- 1 is fine, the other is dead.  I saw them come down as well.  I find your simplistic view of the world ‘disgusting’.

Posted by lurker on May 25, 2004 at 5:39 AM (PDT)

Not simplistic, just realistic.  And the only view you had that was disgusting was doubting the Nick Berg incident.  Just out of curiosity, what do you think happened?

Posted by another view on May 25, 2004 at 5:53 AM (PDT)

O.K. good.  An inquiring mind is a healthy, intelligent one.  I commend you on asking questions in a time when doubting the ‘official’ word is considered treason.

I don’t claim to know ‘exactly’ what happened but I do think you should educate yourself on some of the background facts of who Nick Berg was, who he came into contact with a couple years ago (Does the name Moussaoui ring a bell??- oh yeah, I forgot, that’s just a weird coinicidence!),  and also watch the actual video (not hard to find.)

After you have watched it, I urge you to read some of the multitude of analysis and play by play.  Some of it is based in fact, some speculative.  I cannot, in a few lines neatly sum up all the background and suspicious circumstance- There really is way too much to mention. Make up your own mind.

P.S. - One indisputable fact is that actual video has been HEAVILY edited with varying timestamps and camera angles very sloppily put together in addition to the audio being out of sync in an inconsistent manner which doesn’t lend credence to
it being an encoding error when digitized and uploaded.

Here is a good place to start, but by no means finish your education:

P.S.S. - I don’t expect it likey that this thread will be around much longer.

Posted by lurker on May 25, 2004 at 6:51 AM (PDT)

does anyone know where I could find a LARGE picture of those posters. I would love to print one to put on my wall. Doesnt have to be very big but bigger than those…

Posted by odis on May 25, 2004 at 8:15 AM (PDT)

I made it abundantly clear that: “The fact that a US civilian has been beheaded on TV is, of course, completely and utterly repugnant and cannot be justified or excused.”

But to claim that “methods of fighting terrorism .... need to be revised and brought “down” to a level closer to what we’re fighting against” is monstrous, just as it was monstrous for German troops to shoot unarmed PoWs or kill Jews in the camps, or for German civilians to lynch downed allied airmen. War is horrible and war is hell, but civilised nations still need to observe those rules unless they wish to become as bad as those they are fighting. Especially in the war against terror. Guantanamo Bay was a cynical, immoral and fundamentally wrong way of dealing with captives from Afghanistan. What’s been going on in Iraq is even worse.

To expect the USA to abide by the Geneva convention, listen to the ICRC and act properly isn’t a simplistic world view, whereas to accept that its OK to have a foreign policy based on vigilanteeism and vengeance is evil. I don’t care that people who lost loved ones in the WTC might want bloody revenge. It’s not right and it must be resisted and condemned.

Posted by Jackonicko on May 25, 2004 at 8:29 AM (PDT)

It figures that the posters would think this is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I’ve seen the Nick Berg video and it was more terrible than any of the “torture” in Abu Ghraib.

Posted by BigBoned on May 25, 2004 at 8:58 AM (PDT)

i made a bigger version myself. if somebody wants it so you can print a poster let me know.

Posted by odis on May 25, 2004 at 9:15 AM (PDT)

“I’ve seen the Nick Berg video and it was more terrible than any of the “torture” in Abu Ghraib.”

Of course it was. Beheading someone is barbaric and wicked. But that doesn’t make it right to accidentally kill a prisoner by administering an over-enthusiastic beating, or to torture, rape or humiliate prisoners, many of whom have done no more than steal wood, broken a curfew or been in the wrong place at the wrong time.

There is supposed to be more than a cigarette paper’s thickness of difference between Al Qaeda and the US Army, which is why photos of idiot MPs grinning goofily, giving thumbs up and counting off ‘one’ on their fingers over the plastic wrapped corpse of a dead prisoner is so shocking and horrifying for anyone who does still have any respect for the USA and what it stands for.

And why your reaction “they do worse, so anything we do is ok” is so unacceptable and so damaging to the reputation of your once great country.

Where do you draw the line? What abuse of civilised norms, what breach of the Geneva convention, what failure to observe basic human rights is not OK, even when some moronic US MP is the one doling it out?

If the USA stoops to the level of the Nazis in what it does to PoWs and detainees, then it is putting itself beyond the pale, and will come to be regarded as a rogue state and a bully. I don’t want that, and I’m damned sure that most intelligent Americans don’t want that either.

It’s time to stand up and be counted. If enough Americans condemn these awful incidents the world will see that it’s the work of a few bad apples. If they don’t people will assume that it’s something in your national psyche, and you’ll all be tarred with the same brush.

Posted by Jackonicko on May 25, 2004 at 11:57 AM (PDT)

“If the USA stoops to the level of the Nazis in what it does to PoWs and detainees, then it is putting itself beyond the pale, and will come to be regarded as a rogue state and a bully. I don’t want that”

Yeah, that’s exactly what Colin Powell told the neocon looneys when they were planning ways to get around the Geneva Conventions and torture people without fear of future prosecution.

The USA used to stand *for* human rights. Now many people perceive that it has become an active opponent of human rights.

In the memo,  the White House lawyer focused on a little known 1996 law passed by Congress, known as the War Crimes Act, that banned any Americans from committing war crimes—defined in part as “grave breaches” of the Geneva Conventions. Noting that the law applies to “U.S.  officials” and that punishments for violators “include the death penalty,” Gonzales told Bush that “it was difficult to predict with confidence” how Justice Department prosecutors might apply the law in the future. This was especially the case given that some of the language in the Geneva Conventions—such as that outlawing “outrages upon personal dignity” and “inhuman treatment” of prisoners—was “undefined.”

One key advantage of declaring that Taliban and Al Qaeda fighters did not have Geneva Convention protections is that it “substantially reduces the threat of domestic criminal prosecution under the War Crimes Act,” Gonzales wrote.

Posted by Slippery Slope on May 25, 2004 at 3:17 PM (PDT)

What’s amazing to me is how many people are willing to condemn the entire country for the actions of 7 people on one day in the middle of a war.

I’m an American that loves my country and supports my troops, because I know 99.999995% of them would never do something like this.  *I* did not partcipate, and yet so many of you are so quick to blame anyone who calls the US home.

Look in a mirror once in awhile.

Posted by stark23x on May 25, 2004 at 9:21 PM (PDT)

hey why was my comment edited?  it was my own personal opinion and should be allowed, where are we iraq?  put my comment back!

Posted by bob on May 25, 2004 at 11:07 PM (PDT)

Forgive me for saying so, Stark, but I don’t think anyone is condemning the entire population.

I think that it’s closer to 95% of troops who don’t engage in this sort of thing, and who actively condemn it, than the figure you suggest! (Which would be one soldier’s left big toenail. On Thursdays only.)

Posted by Jackonicko on May 25, 2004 at 11:47 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 3 pages  <  1 2 3 >