New iPod-ready Bluetooth Headphones coming soon | iLounge News

New iPod-ready Bluetooth Headphones coming soon

picBluetake has announced the i-PHONO, an iPod-compatible Bluetooth wireless stereo headset featuring DSP noise reduction, fold-out microphone for use with phones, collapsible behind-the-neck headband design for carrying and storage, and changeable color plates. More interestingly, because it can be paired with multiple Bluetooth devices, you can receive and make phone calls while listening to music. i-PHONO is priced at $249 and “coming soon.”

« New iPod Xtras store offers iPod accessories

Refurbished 10GB iPod for $199 »

Comments

Someone mentioned that the reason why bluetooth headphones are rare is because it carries less quality signal. The signal that is carried by bluetooth is higher and packs more data. Most 900mhz headsets are adequate for music listening, and bluetooth requires more electricity to be powered. I would gladly pay $250 if the sound quality was as good as high end earbuds, and the battery was rechargeable (no AAA rechargeables). And the weight will be quite considerate if the thing was powered by internal battery. Also, who listens to music and make phone calls through the same sound source. If it is telemarketing, it would be fine, but most phone calls I get distracts me from listening to music. I think I will hassle with the wire and hold on to my Shure.

Posted by SolidGun on July 1, 2004 at 2:33 AM (CDT)

OK, they’re a start, I’ll wait for something that doesn’t make me look like a complete dork on the tram though ;-)

Posted by SoloMalee on July 1, 2004 at 3:33 AM (CDT)

Pity they look so naff.  “You can receive and make calls while listening to music” - sounds like a good method for alienating all your friends.

Posted by Market Maven on July 1, 2004 at 6:09 AM (CDT)

Just what portable compressed audio players need. Another device in the chain to destroy the audio quality further :).

Posted by blue-eww on July 1, 2004 at 7:21 AM (CDT)

hate wires, like the idea, or at least its a start. would prefer if they were in-ear and if there was a bluetooth remote on a wristband or something… all in due time i suppose

Posted by darkmind on July 1, 2004 at 8:42 AM (CDT)

I _think_ what they were trying to say is this. That you could pause the music and use the same headphones to talk on the phone.Then hang up and unpause the music. The main thing is not having to switch headphones like we have to do now.

$250 ... ouch. One question I have about using this with both a phone and an iPod is how much does the extra bluetooth transmitter cost for the second device? My guess is that they don’t supply to transmitters.

Part of the size problem is that they had to include batteries in the transmitter so that you can plug it into any kind of audio device (iPod, phone, etc.). Now how do you physically connect the transmitter? I’m not talking about the jack but does it come with a belt clip or what? I can’t just dangle…

Posted by Sabon on July 1, 2004 at 10:14 AM (CDT)

By “supply” I meant include a 2nd transmitter with this price. Second, third, etc., transmitters would be extra.

Posted by Sabon on July 1, 2004 at 10:18 AM (CDT)

250 bucks for a pair of crappy sounding headphones. If anyone buys these they are a moron IMO. The cheapest set of headphones will probably run circles around these in soundQ and that’s not saying much. Oh well it’s your $

Posted by BigFil on July 1, 2004 at 10:23 AM (CDT)

I rather get a Mini

Posted by howwow on July 1, 2004 at 10:36 AM (CDT)

Apparently Bluetooth 1.2 is 721 kbps, and raw CDDA is around 1228 kbps (based on 650 MB = 74 minutes). So I can see a challenge.

Posted by Nagromme on July 1, 2004 at 2:58 PM (CDT)

Yes, but most poeple play MP3s or ACCs on their iPods which have rates between 128-320 kbps so it is no problem for bluetooth which has a 723 kbps data rate.  Sound quality of these formats can be quite good.

Posted by MDS on July 1, 2004 at 8:01 PM (CDT)

Bluetooth 1.1 max datarate is about 723kbps the uncompressed PCM at CD Quality is 1,441kbps so the CODEC is required

BT headset for mobile phone use Bluetooth Headset/Handfree Profile that was designed for low power consumption so the low quality CODEC was used because the sound quality is not important.

But this one use specific profile called Advanced Audio Distribution Profile that was designed for stereo, so the quality should by far better than of headset profile. 723kbps is technically more than enough for good quality CODEC to transmit audio that transparent to human ears. (Max bitrate AAC that iPod support is 320kbps but 160-192kbps is transparent on most music/listener)

Posted by StoneRoses on July 1, 2004 at 11:57 PM (CDT)

Useless; loose a wire, gain an extra battery + the worrie coming with it. Twice as much chance to run out of juice…

Posted by dura on July 3, 2004 at 12:05 PM (CDT)

Oh, I forgot. And an extra box.
All this to get rid of thin wire…

Posted by dura on July 3, 2004 at 12:06 PM (CDT)

it sounds good but there are some things i wanna say :

1. 250$ is allote
2. its allote in

Posted by roy from uk on July 4, 2004 at 6:04 AM (CDT)

I had been to Computex show in June and experienced the i-PHONO headphone, the sound quality is good and the general BT headset cannot do this. The exhibitor also showed me the phone call switching while listening music, it works, cool. however, I wish Apple will exclusive the product.

Posted by Digi on July 6, 2004 at 10:06 AM (CDT)

I think the headset is a great idea, and i am sure it is just the start.  It has already been stated that the sound quality is not reduced, but the whole ‘no wire’ concept is amazing.  I agree that the price is too much but hey, you gotta start somewhere.  As both the iPod and Bluetooth develop, I’m sure we will see a great relationship in the end.

Posted by BradNike on July 9, 2004 at 8:04 PM (CDT)

HELLO SALES,
  I WILL LIKE TO ORDER FROM YOU.LET ME KNOW IF YOU CAN SHIP TO NIGERIA
  AND ACCEPT CREDIT CARDS FOR THE PAYMENT. THANKS. URGENT RESPONCE IS
NEEDED
  NOTES   I WILL LIKE YOU TO GIVE ME THE WEBSITE
  MR   NURUDEEN
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Posted by nurudeen on July 24, 2004 at 8:08 AM (CDT)

It’s extremely humorous to read through these comments and see people complaining about how BT has a very limited bandwidth capacity that would be “crappy for carrying music”, after which they go and recommend an FM modulator instead.

If you would take even 20 minutes to do some research on the web, or if you had any REAL personal experience with any BT product designed for music applications vs. FM modulators and even 900Mhz headphones designed for the same purpose, you would find yourself sorely, sorely mistaken.

Although this BT product may not be the perfect solution, you should be very excited about the future of the technology for iPod applications.  Naysaying BT for audio would be like saying that all MP3 players are worthless several years ago before products like the iPod came out.  I just ask that some of you have an open mind!  Thanks.

Posted by Nick on October 20, 2004 at 10:38 AM (CDT)

poeple wear earings   so why not bluetooth implants in yer lugs

Posted by joe brodie on December 24, 2007 at 6:05 PM (CST)

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2