New iPod shuffle arrives; old earphones, weak clip? (Updated) | iLounge News

New iPod shuffle arrives; old earphones, weak clip? (Updated)

By Jeremy Horwitz

Editor-in-Chief, iLounge
Published: Wednesday, November 1, 2006
News Categories: iPod shuffle

Updated: See our higher-resolution iPod shuffle (Second-Generation) unpacking gallery here, and freshly updated First Look here.

iLounge readers have started to report the arrival of their second-generation iPod shuffles, and have noted two semi-surprises so far: unlike the iPod shuffles that were demonstrated at Apple’s “It’s Showtime” press event in September, actually shipping models are packaged with Apple’s older, less comfortable earphones rather than the newer, better ones found in current iPod and iPod nano boxes. Official Apple images of the new shuffle published since the event have included the older earbuds, confusing numerous attendees who tried the shuffle along with the improved earbuds. One reader has also reported that the integrated clip is “very weak,” and “won’t hang from a shirt while running,” suggesting that even if the iPod can be attached to clothes for casual use, additional athletic accessories will most likely be needed to render the shuffle safe for active users to wear. Expect additional details as the day progresses, including updates to our extended First Look at the new shuffle.

« Report: Cingular to launch music service sans Apple

Apple launches iTunes Latino »

Comments

i am already disappointed, and i have not even received it yet from china.  i wanted the new headphones!

Posted by boochydog in lawrence, ks on November 1, 2006 at 9:43 AM (PDT)

I had my old 1G Shuffle die (which was later resurrected by the utility) and ordered the 2G Shuffle. I ended up canceling my order and getting a Nano.

Honestly I like the old ear buds better. I use the Nano for running (Nike + is awesome BTW) and for whatever reason the left ear bud falls out all the time. Could be my anatomy but the old buds never did this.

Posted by crawdad62 on November 1, 2006 at 10:05 AM (PDT)

It comes with the old earphones?

That’s really lame.

Posted by lookmark on November 1, 2006 at 10:05 AM (PDT)

Yup, old headphones and a weak clip.

I bet that they have an overstock of old heaphones and in the near future, the shuffles will ship with the new ones.

Posted by Zach on November 1, 2006 at 10:34 AM (PDT)

This is so incredibly dissapointing to the point where I’m seriously considering returning it.

I feel I’ve been ripped off—big time!

Posted by Jason on November 1, 2006 at 11:04 AM (PDT)

Lest you all forget…this is the low-end iPod we’re referring to, right?

Geesh!

Posted by Gordy. in Atlanta, GA on November 1, 2006 at 11:08 AM (PDT)

old cans and a weak clip but its still a wee thing of beauty.

Posted by gareth jones on November 1, 2006 at 11:16 AM (PDT)

I’m surprised that the old/new earphone thing is creating a huge negative reation.  I mean are the new earphones actually that much better?

I haven’t looked at any pictures of the new earphones but I can’t imagine they are leaps and bounds over the old ones.

Have test been done that prove they sound better…  if not I don’t see what the big deal is.

Posted by 3rdEye on November 1, 2006 at 11:20 AM (PDT)

The new earbuds sound even WORSE than the old ones, people.  Do your ears a favor and buy a decent pair of earbuds.  Sony EX-71s are a good choice…pretty cheap with MUCH better sound than stock Apple earbuds.  Almost anything, even Koss “The Plug” buds are better than the crap Apple packs in.

The new ones are muddy, distort easily and basically sound like garbage.  The old ones are much the same, only they sound slightly more mid-rangy.  No one is losing anything worth caring about.

Again, do your music and your ears a favor, and spend a few dollars on something aftermarket.

Posted by stark23x on November 1, 2006 at 11:50 AM (PDT)

Well, I hated it from first sight. I wouldn’t want a shuffle with a teeny-tiny cabled “dock” instead of USB plug, no matter the size. You could clip those 1G ones too with 3rd-party accessories anyway.
And having gotten a new 80-gigger, I hate those new earbuds. The older ones had a more distinctive look and were much easier on my ears – new ones not nearly as comfortable.

Posted by Mikhail Fedoseev on November 1, 2006 at 12:20 PM (PDT)

I just gone my iPod Shuffle 2G in the mail and the headphone thing is correct. I am not crazy about that at all. I am thinking about what I should do.
Here is a link to the pic of the headphones it comes with:

Posted by djJASMAN in California on November 1, 2006 at 12:32 PM (PDT)

Well mine should be here tommorow very dissapointed with the fact it comes with the old headphones no biggy really but i can see why its getting people down as when apple unveiled it, it had the new headphones with it.

What however does concern me is the weak clip not at all good as i where mine round college and dont want it falling off luckily since the headphones are practically surgically attached to my ears this shouldnt be a problem but still somthing to bear in mind pretty eager about tommorow though.

Posted by Johnathan on November 1, 2006 at 1:33 PM (PDT)

Mine was delivered this morning. Here are my observations.

1. My 1st Gen shuffle is far and away the best ipod for exercise. I laugh when I seen people in the gym or running with full size ipods or even nanos. The controls of the shuffle are very easy to use without having to look at it. I assumed the even smaller size of the 2nd gen shuffle would be even better for exercising. However, the complaints about the clip being weak are 100% correct. An armband will have to be used, as this thing will fall off whatever you clip it on.

2. The buttons are positioned in such a manner that they will not be easy to used when clipped. It should be, Volume: up and down buttons. Skip track: right and left. Play/ pause right in the middle. However, when clipped, the shuffle will sit in such a way that the position of the buttons gets distorted.

3. If you can afford better earphones, and are still using whatever comes with the ipod, you’re an idiot. If you can’t afford better earphones, then big deal. The stock earphones (whichever variety) are nothing special, but they’re not terrible either.

I’ve never been disappointed with an ipod, but think I will be returning this one.

Posted by jbn74sb on November 1, 2006 at 2:05 PM (PDT)

I personally LIKE the old buds. They seem to fit my ears better and the new buds fall out easily.

The sound difference is not noticible to my ears. Mainly listening to podcasts anyway.

Posted by Chris cameron on November 1, 2006 at 2:24 PM (PDT)

well, I just got my new Shuffle, and while I am upset that it didn’t come with the new earphones, I am amazed at how tiny it is.

Anywho, I called Apple up (800-MY-APPLE) and talked to a nice lady who is sending me a set of the new earphones…for FREE

So if it really bugs you, then call Apple.

Oh, and I probably won’t even unpackage the new ones, I have nice headphones but I want the new ones so I have them.

Posted by Brad on November 1, 2006 at 2:29 PM (PDT)

I don’t see your point on the gym not being right for the nano.  It’s flash-based, like the shuffle, and you can pick the songs, artists, and albums you want to play.  I can do that while running 10K a day, and often do.  The thing slips into my pocket.  I don’t need to look at it, like I do the shuffle, to turn it up.  The shuffle is a glorified toy.  The new headphones zoog, and those of you who are upset that the new style isn’t shipping shouldn’t be concerned because there is virtually no difference.  I would stop making a big deal, as someone pointed out, about the low-end iPod.  The weak clip surprises me though.  I thought the shuffle looked exactly like the Apple radio for the nano, and the clip on the radio/remote works great for running, road biking and mountain biking.  Whoever would jog/run hard with a JD-based player isn’t very bright anyway.  I tried a 4G at the gym and it was way to big for a pocket and I thought I detected it skipping or wavering.

Posted by genius on November 1, 2006 at 2:43 PM (PDT)

Genius - The nano to me is too nice a product to use while at the gym or exercising. The shuffle are so incredibly inexpensive and light that, to me, it seems clear that they are designed for exercise, and kids. There really is no comparison in using the shuffle to work out as compared with the other ipods.

Posted by jbn74sb on November 1, 2006 at 3:08 PM (PDT)

That’s funny.  I also contacted 1-800-My-Apple and I was told that the old headphones are included in the package and that if I wanted new ones, I would have to purchase them.

This is a scam…my shuffle is getting returned.

Posted by jaycool2001 on November 1, 2006 at 3:20 PM (PDT)

I bought my ipod just for the ear plugs.

If you’re reading this board, I doubt this is your first ipod, and it won’t be your last. If you’re really concerned about the sound quality and comfort, you aren’t using the Apple earplugs anyway.

Posted by earplugs on November 1, 2006 at 3:37 PM (PDT)

I haven’t purchased one of the new iPod Shuffles (yet), but i find the old headphones a little disappointing. Hopefully this is just a temporary thing. (I think they’re just getting rid of old stock.)

However, the weak clip is VERY troubling. In my mind, that’s one of the key selling points for the product. The reviews I read all talked about how firm and solid the clip felt. That’s apparently not the case in the actual shipping model.

Hopefully, the supply of old headphones will dry up, and Apple will get to work strengthening the clip.

Posted by BJ Nemeth on November 1, 2006 at 4:16 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >