New iPod shuffle arrives; old earphones, weak clip? (Updated) | iLounge News

New iPod shuffle arrives; old earphones, weak clip? (Updated)

Updated: See our higher-resolution iPod shuffle (Second-Generation) unpacking gallery here, and freshly updated First Look here.

iLounge readers have started to report the arrival of their second-generation iPod shuffles, and have noted two semi-surprises so far: unlike the iPod shuffles that were demonstrated at Apple’s “It’s Showtime” press event in September, actually shipping models are packaged with Apple’s older, less comfortable earphones rather than the newer, better ones found in current iPod and iPod nano boxes. Official Apple images of the new shuffle published since the event have included the older earbuds, confusing numerous attendees who tried the shuffle along with the improved earbuds. One reader has also reported that the integrated clip is “very weak,” and “won’t hang from a shirt while running,” suggesting that even if the iPod can be attached to clothes for casual use, additional athletic accessories will most likely be needed to render the shuffle safe for active users to wear. Expect additional details as the day progresses, including updates to our extended First Look at the new shuffle.

« Report: Cingular to launch music service sans Apple

Apple launches iTunes Latino »

Comments

I’ve had mine for 12 hours now and have not identified problems with a weak clip. I have clipped it my sweater, coat and scarf and it has held secure on each one. Due to the design, when clipped to the edge of my thick winter coat the clip didn’t sit flat but there was enough tension in the grip that it was still secure. I will test it out running tomorrow but so far so good, i absolutely love mine, much more so than my 1st gen shuffle.

Posted by ilookflawless on November 1, 2006 at 4:41 PM (PDT)

there is very little difference in the old & new head phones & they sounds exactly the same. if anything, the new ones fall out of my ears a little too easily when running, & the cord is marginally shorter.

Posted by josh on November 1, 2006 at 4:58 PM (PDT)

You know, I was on hold for apple customer support and was browsing the apple.com website and stumbled over the 2gen Shuffle page and notice the picture they have with the headphones - its the old type. I recall some people commenting, when the 2G shuffle was first introduced, that it might have been a mistake but maybe it wasnt after all. Anyway I decided that I wasnt going to debate over it and just hung up.
Still bumbed out though - I really wanted to check out the new headphones.

Posted by djJASMAN in California on November 1, 2006 at 5:09 PM (PDT)

Every post made on this subject has merit, but at the same time, if you’re an iPod-lover, which we all are—this little gem is amazing.  I miss the old USB plug, but it’s a fine trade-off for the belt clip, however weak it is.  I’ve been wowing my kids by hanging it off of my earlobe.  Oh, and as for headphones…what could be cooler than this tiny player with gigantic gangster style XXL full head sized headphones—perfect.

Posted by Andrew Chasnoff on November 1, 2006 at 7:26 PM (PDT)

Apple never indicated in either pictures or text that the new shuffle came with the updated headphones.

So we already have someone yelling shenanigans, now lets get someone complaining about the lack of screen and no fm radio.

Clip could be better, with the money they saved by “scamming” everyone they could’ve atleast developed clip better.

Posted by tad on November 1, 2006 at 10:37 PM (PDT)

Apple makes ear plugs? Amazing what one learns from this website…

Posted by flatline response on November 2, 2006 at 12:37 AM (PDT)

received mine yesterday. it’s exactly what i expected. no problems with the clip at all—whether i’m walking, running, or biking.

if people really care about the sound quality, then they should buy another pair of headphones anyway.

i do think the laser engraving is a little too small. but it didn’t ruin my day.

Posted by esteban on November 2, 2006 at 9:24 AM (PDT)

I’m trying to decide on purchasing one or not and this would be my first Apple product and I’m very unfamilar with everything.
How do you know if it is fully charged if the indicator light is facing the bottom of the docking port?

Posted by esc on November 2, 2006 at 10:06 AM (PDT)

ESC, as the above review stated the battery indicator light is on both sides, that way when it is syncing and/or charging you will know the status.

I personally love the new 2G Shuffle, perfect for mowing and utilizing my Sony earbuds without the extra extension making them only around 10” long.

Posted by Jeffrey D Hauenstein on November 2, 2006 at 12:32 PM (PDT)

My 2G shuffle was delivered yesterday, and here’s what I think about the clip:

If you’re trying to clip it on something the clip can’t completely cover—that is, the business edge of the clip doesn’t extend beyond what you’re clipping it to—then I could see how the clip could work itself off during running or other fairly vigorous exercise. Clipping it to the bottom of a short sleeve and then going for a run is probably asking for trouble.

If, however, the clip extends beyond what you’re clipping it to—like a belt loop, a sufficently narrow belt or purse strap, or a D-ring—I doubt it will come off easily.

If you want to clip it to a shirt pocket and intend to move around a lot, I’d suggest clipping it so that the shuffle proper is inside the pocket.

To me, this is a pretty minor complaint, similar to the one about the earphones: Old Apple cans, new Apple cans—they’re both pretty lame, so if you really care, spring for the best replacement set that falls within your budget.

I think the 2G shuffle is fine—it’s amazingly small, looks cool, and sounds just great. Apple will sell millions of units.

But wait, I have another important criticism: The type for the personalization text is so small (no more than 6 pt) that it’s hard to read easily.

Posted by orgel in Falls Church, VA on November 3, 2006 at 6:19 AM (PDT)

People complaning about the new earbuds lack self-confidence and want to show people that they bought a new iPod. The new earphones junk anyways (even worse than the old ones).

Posted by Josh on November 4, 2006 at 12:55 PM (PDT)

Yeah, I’m disappointed, I’d have loved to try the new headphones. Note: I don’t use the Apple headphones with my “big” iPod, anyway. But I wanted to hear the new ones: if they were an improvement before I stuck them in the bottom of my drawer with the others (where they belong).

But… I haven’t noticed any “weak clip” problems. I’ve biked for 30+ miles with it clipped to my sleeve.

Overall, I love the simplicity and wow factor. It’s well worth the $80.

Posted by parenthetical guy on November 8, 2006 at 2:09 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2