New iPod touches offer increased speed, storage | iLounge News

New iPod touches offer increased speed, storage

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Wednesday, September 9, 2009
News Categories: iPod

Apple has introduced its updated line of iPod touches, lowering the price of the entry model and increasing storage and speed in the two more expensive models. The price of the 8GB model has dropped from $229 to $199, marking the first time the iPod touch has broken the $200 barrier. The $299 16GB and $399 32GB models have been replaced with 32GB and 64GB versions selling for the same prices, respectively; both larger models also feature OpenGL ES 2.0 support, Voice Control, and up to 50 percent faster performance. Notably, none of the new iPod touch models sport a camera, as had previously been reported, and look virtually identical to last year’s models. All three models are available immediately.

Update: A hands-on video of the iPod touch 3G is now available for viewing on Vimeo.

« iPod shuffle 3G gets new colors, 2GB model

iPod nano 5G gains larger screen, video camera, FM radio »

Comments

This is why people hate Apple.  I purchased the software update for my 2G iTouch two weeks ago for $9.99 and now they’re offering it for $4.99.

Take your new iPods and shove them you know where Steve.  It’s these dick moves that drive me crazy about Apple.

Posted by TechnoGeek on September 9, 2009 at 11:45 AM (PDT)

Hmm… I’m guessing that either all of the rumours were wrong, or the rumour about production problems was right. Hopefully we’ll see an iPod touch with all of the new features that the nano has before too long.

Posted by NFreak007 on September 9, 2009 at 11:50 AM (PDT)

In one swift move Apple have taken with one hand and hardly given us anything in return with the other, i’m disappointed with todays out come. There is still nothing that really is pushing me to upgrade my first gen touch so i might get one on the new nano’s as Apple seem to be doing something right with them.

Posted by Andrew on September 9, 2009 at 11:51 AM (PDT)

I can’t see the camera rumours being wrong. There were too many photos, even of case designs with the hole for the camera. The rumours of the problems seem to have been correct.

And, if that’s the case, how long will it be before Apple sorts the problems and adds the camera? I can’t see them waiting another year. I may hold off upgrading my Touch until I see how it plays out.

Posted by BeefJerky on September 9, 2009 at 12:00 PM (PDT)

The thought of waiting to see if the camera materializes crossed my mind briefly but now I really don’t care. I have two regular cameras plus a camera on my phone. I don’t need another camera. My current iPod doesn’t have a camera and I’ve lived just fine with that for years. The no camera thing isn’t a deal breaker for me.

Posted by Okitech623 on September 9, 2009 at 12:20 PM (PDT)

And they put an FM player in the Nano and not the Touches?  Wow - how 2002 of them!

I won’t be upgrading any of my iPods and the new colors of the Shuffle (which was totally expected) pretty much suck.

The fanbois will spin this big time, but seriously, what a snoozefest.

Posted by TechnoGeek on September 9, 2009 at 12:28 PM (PDT)

Why are they discontinuing the 16gb touch?  It doesn’t make sense to me.  If they drop a model, why not the 8gb.  8 is too little for me & 32 is too much. Maybe the Zune IS the way to go!

Posted by jakewoodblues on September 9, 2009 at 12:29 PM (PDT)

Yes, I can understand that. For me, the camera is a slightly bigger deal because I use the drawing apps a lot on my iPod Touch. The one huge advantage that the iPhone has over the Touch with the drawing apps is that you can just sketch a doodle (or indeed doodle a sketch) and take a snap of it directly into the device and then use it as a base for an app drawing. It’s all in one.

I was rather looking forward to being able to do that with the new Touch.

Posted by BeefJerky on September 9, 2009 at 12:30 PM (PDT)

What the… where’s the freakin’ camera?! Why does the Nano get one and not the iPod touch? I guess those rumors about them having last minute problems were right… but why would Apple pull the feature all together?

#1, TechnoGeek: call Apple up and complain. Most likely they will refund you the difference because you bought your copy of the update so recently. It’s not a d*** move to lower the price of a software update after a period of time, and it’s actually better than demanding the same price no matter how long it’s been.

Posted by Ned Scott on September 9, 2009 at 12:33 PM (PDT)

I’m glad that they are expanding on the memory of the touch, but where is the touch with the camera, FM radio etc.  I just gonna have to stick my classic and wait a little longer.

Posted by Kingfisher0479 on September 9, 2009 at 12:36 PM (PDT)

I agree with Okitech, I have been perfectly content with the Touch devices with the only exception being memory, ALL I wanted was a 64 Gig Touch and now I got it, this will make me content for a good couple years as I now have the ability to store my music in the full quality as well as all my Videos.

The Nano changes, I could care less, the new Shuffles, I would never buy one without buttons, the Touch…...the sweet spot has been hit.

Posted by DougFNJ on September 9, 2009 at 12:38 PM (PDT)

I have a first generation Touch and have been waiting for something before I bought another Touch. The combination of increased storage and the faster processor was that “something.” I have a new 12.1 mp camera that fits in my shirt pocket and an adequate one for spontaneous moments on my phone. The camera was not a deal breaker. I ordered the new 64gb iPod touch. Next year there will be something better, but isn’t there always?

Posted by Steve on September 9, 2009 at 12:43 PM (PDT)

@#7: They’re discontinuing the 16GB because, according to Apple logic, it prevents them from competing with themselves at identical price points, something they’ve usually avoided. They seemed really adamant about the importance of the $199 price point for the cheapest touch and. although they certainly could have released a 16GB model at that price point, then you would have had the “unbearable” scenario of a 16GB nano and a 16GB touch for the same price point, ohnoes! Further, let’s be honest, 16GB is pretty much the sweet spot for the majority of consumers on this sort of a device where 8GB is too restrictive, and 32GB puts it outside the range of your average consumer. You eliminate the best option and you force upgrades. It’s annoying to be sure.

Case in point: I bought a 4G nano last year and, with the exception of the bearable annoyance at menu setting preferences randomly being lost after a reboot, I still love the thing and use it every day, but, since I’ve also made video more of a priority, I just ordered one of the “new” touches because I really want a bigger screen than the nano offers. 16GB is more than enough for my usage patterns, and had Apple done the intuitive move and had a 16GB touch for ~$200, they’d have lost the extra $100 I had to spend to get a touch with enough capacity for all the media types it supports, and Apple wouldn’t want to be out that $100 would they?

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on September 9, 2009 at 2:08 PM (PDT)

Once again, I have GB model that has gone obsolete.

It happened when I got my 15gb 3rd gen back in 2004, and then they phased that out.

Now, my 16gb iPod Touch joins those ranks.

I got the 16gb 1st gen as soon as I heard of it 2 years ago, because I had to have that touch technology, minus the iphone’s contract and other issues.

The 64gb touch is tempting (I have to play a game of musical chairs just to get space to put 1 movie on my ipod.

I’m going to bide my time. It took 3 years for me to make another ipod purchase (3rd gen in 2004, Touch in 2007). So maybe in 2010, that video-enhanced Touch will finally come about and send me to the store (plus, my wallet can rest easy for now).

Posted by Michael H. on September 9, 2009 at 2:14 PM (PDT)

I would agree if the software update they’ve been pushing had been out for a year, but it’s only been out for what, like two months?  Apple plans this stuff out 2 years in advance - I’m sure they already know what the next gen iPods are going to look like - so I have a hard time believing they didn’t know two months ago that they’d need to update the software AGAIN in 60-90 days.

The fact they use stainless steel, shiny casings is further proof that they’re in bed with aftermarket companies.  The biggest complaints people have had with iPods is that stupid scratch factor and no FM radio.  Apple could easily address both of these, but choose not to.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my 2G iTouch, but I’m getting fed up with these bones they throw us every year and I’m not dropping my hard-earned coin for such minimal upgrades.  Christ, you can get a 16GB miniSD card for $40, is it really that tough to offer 32GB in the smallest iTouch?  I didn’t buy the new shuffle a few months ago because I *knew* the new colors would come out now - they’ve just gotten very predictable and lazy IMO.

Posted by TechnoGeek on September 9, 2009 at 2:34 PM (PDT)

I completely agree with most of you.  It just BLOWS MY MIND that Apple does not seem to give a s___ about what the consumer thinks.  A new Touch WITHOUT a camera and no bigger?  Wow—what a bunch of CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    Oh, and once again, there are still THOUSANDS of people who cannot own a iPhone thanks to AT&T’s exclusive contract.  Apple—YOU ARE STARTING TO GET ROTTEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Tak on September 9, 2009 at 4:12 PM (PDT)

Huh. Battery life for the third-gen touches actually went DOWN for audio. Interesting.

And the pure hate for the cameraless touches mystifies me. Is this truly a dealbreaker? It actually makes me ABLE to upgrade, as my workplace doesn’t allow any cell phones or cameras (at ALL) to be on at your desk. But now I can have a 64 GB touch (which I’ve needed, my 32 GB 1st-gen is too bloody small) and use it at work too!

And I’m amazed that people are actually complaining about the lack of a 16 GB touch, when the 32 GB is at the SAME price point the 16 GB model was a few days ago. (I’m looking at you, #7 jakewoodblues) #Don’t want more storage? Don’t USE it. Pretend you have a nice happy 16 GB touch and keep the rest of the space empty so your head doesn’t explode. ^_^

Never thought I’d see the day when complaints about *too much* storage space occured…

Posted by Daniel S. on September 9, 2009 at 4:42 PM (PDT)

The reason the camera is a deal breaker is because i have a 16gb 1st gen ipod touch, then the 2nd gen came out with some buttons and some speakers, but not worth another £200 ($250 for the 16gb) so to pass off the 3rd as the same but “up to 50%” isn’t good enough really on Apples part.

Posted by andrew on September 9, 2009 at 5:19 PM (PDT)

Huh…I have a 32 GB 1st gen touch, and I thought the second, let alone THIRD gen touches are a very worthwhile upgrade for the price. The increased battery power alone makes it a steal of a deal for me, with as much use as I get out of my touch.

Then again, different strokes for different folks. I’m sure there’ll be a touch with a camera eventually. I just don’t care enough about it. smile And I still don’t understand why someone would actually consider a Zune because a 32 GB touch is “too big” for them, when no one’s holding a gun to their head forcing them to actually USE that capacity… :D

Posted by Daniel S. on September 9, 2009 at 6:06 PM (PDT)

I’m underwhelmed by the touch. I’m glad they got lower in price, but it’s not much of a refresh. The nano got all the love this time around.

But then, aside from the camera, what more does the touch need?

TechnoGeek: They might refund you the difference, but a general rule of thumb is not to buy ANYTHING from Apple when they have a big event coming, just to be on the safe side.

Posted by kira blaize on September 9, 2009 at 6:13 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >