New iPod touches offer increased speed, storage | iLounge News

New iPod touches offer increased speed, storage

Apple has introduced its updated line of iPod touches, lowering the price of the entry model and increasing storage and speed in the two more expensive models. The price of the 8GB model has dropped from $229 to $199, marking the first time the iPod touch has broken the $200 barrier. The $299 16GB and $399 32GB models have been replaced with 32GB and 64GB versions selling for the same prices, respectively; both larger models also feature OpenGL ES 2.0 support, Voice Control, and up to 50 percent faster performance. Notably, none of the new iPod touch models sport a camera, as had previously been reported, and look virtually identical to last year’s models. All three models are available immediately.

Update: A hands-on video of the iPod touch 3G is now available for viewing on Vimeo.

« iPod shuffle 3G gets new colors, 2GB model

iPod nano 5G gains larger screen, video camera, FM radio »

Comments

Why does the Touch not have a camera? Why is the Classic still the same damn ipod they’ve been selling for yonks?

Its really quite simple. Apple is focussed on two of its products: the iphone which as we all know, is very lucrative, and the nano, which is positioned in the market to not be any threat to iphone sales.

They don’t REALLY want you to buy a classic (unless you really need the space), and they don’t really want you to buy a touch because they’d much rather you buy an iphone.

On a side note, does anyone here think that Apple’s emphasis on the touch as a “pocket computer” and a “gaming device”, mean that they may not ACTUALLY release that much rumoured tablet after all?

Posted by Neek on September 9, 2009 at 9:18 PM (PDT)

Can Apple at least put out a firmware update where you can put those nice side volume buttons into something more useful? Like changing tracks. When you’re listening to music, do you adjust the volume more than changing to the next track? Geez Apple!

Posted by Sawyer on September 9, 2009 at 9:53 PM (PDT)

I’m shocked that the iPod Nano got all the cool features and the iPod Touch didn’t really receive anything other storage and speed hikes which doesn’t really matter without some sort of hardware change up. I was thinking that the Touch and Nano would receive the same features and differ just alittle but I was wrong. I think Apple should have discontinued the iPod Touch and Classic until they could come up with something more refreshing. I was going to purchase an iPod Classic but changed my mind and brought a nano which all the features are excellent in my opinion I just wish they would have released a 32GB, like they did for the 3GS; 16 & 32.
I believe a refresh for the iPod Touch is coming soon and I was looking forward to a unibody for the classic but I’ll settle with the Nano for now, I guess. Apple has done this in pass, I just feel that it’s going to happen.

Posted by J Brown on September 9, 2009 at 11:01 PM (PDT)

I have a theory on the lack of camera on the new iPod Touch: I believe Apple axed this idea because of the required microphone to record videos. Putting a microphone on a Nano is not really a big deal, as a Nano is still primarily a music player/multimedia viewer. But putting a microphone on an iPod Touch? Instantly it becomes a Skype-phone. Apple has been hyper-sensitive to the Touch taking any market away from the iPhone, and this could be one area that there was potential to do so.

Posted by Ian Brekke on September 10, 2009 at 12:11 AM (PDT)

A quick word on the software upgrade. According to iLounge, if you own 3.0, the upgrade is free for touch users. Makes sense

Posted by Kira Blaize on September 10, 2009 at 2:06 AM (PDT)

“The Touch has, since the first generation model, been a dumbed down iphone and not a souped up ipod. It can therefore never be put in a position where it can cannibalise sales of the iphone, and looking at this model, Apple has every intention of making sure that it stays that way.”

I REALLY wish they wouldn’t take this view. Chances are, if someone is going to choose between the touch or the iphone, and they’re in the market for a new phone, then chances are they’re going to pick the phone over the touch. Unless they don’t like AT&T, in which case it doesn’t really matter. The iphone and the touch should be considered two different markets. One for those who want a good MP3 player with their phone, the other for those who don’t need an iphone or they just want an MP3 player that can do a few extra things. I really don’t see the touch to be competing with the iphone at all. Maybe I’m just naive.

Posted by Kira Blaize on September 10, 2009 at 2:14 AM (PDT)

i wasnt really looking forward to a camera on my ipod touch but what i was really looking forward to was the voice control but i am disappointed as i dont think its availalbe to 2nd gen touch users unless i am mistaken as i have gone trhough my ipod to find it.

Posted by mikelarry85 on September 10, 2009 at 4:18 AM (PDT)

#24 Ian…I think you might have something here. Though you can already use one of the compatible headsets with headphones and use Skype on a gen 2 or gen 3 touch right now, its probably not something Apple wants out there built-in to possibly steal sales.

Of course, since you could only use it around wi-fi, its not THAT much of a worry…

#23 J Brown: Uhm…discontinue the touch and the Classic till they’re refreshed? That idea’s up there with Crystal Pepsi and shoes made of cardboard. Why would Apple STOP selling their most versatile iPod (AKA a palmtop computer) and their ONLY hard drive-based iPod for those who need more storage?

To quote that classic movie… “THINK, McFly, THINK!”

Posted by Daniel S. on September 10, 2009 at 8:35 AM (PDT)

Tired of everyone moaning - no-one’s talking about sound quality.

I can tell you now, the new iTouch will have the best sound quality of the lot precisely because it doesn’t have a camera etc. Just like the previous iTouch sounded better than the iPhone.

I had the classic 120GB and it sounded rubbish - even with lossless files and good buds.

So a new iTouch with 64GB, faster processor and newer OS and great sound quality? Works for me.

Fvck FM and camera - I don’t need them.

Posted by manicm on September 10, 2009 at 8:49 AM (PDT)

Really like the New Itunes.  The Nano will sell a ton at Christmas, but they dropped the ball on the touch.  Its more like ver 2.5 than 3.  Its like a car that just rolled over last years model, and added a bigger engine to the higher end versions.

I saw somewhere that they were having production issues with adding a camera.  This must have been plan b.  There is always next year.  I’ll just hold on to my 1G touch until then.

Posted by Rob on September 10, 2009 at 8:56 AM (PDT)

I really don’t care about a camera. my phone has a camera why do I need my mp3 player to have one? I’ve got a birthday coming up and I’m really thinking of asking for a 64gb touch! my 80gb 5th gen video has done well by me for the last 2 or 3 years but i always said I’d get a touch once they went past 60gigs!  Isn’t there apps you can download to listen to radio? and who cares about radio?! the radio sucks! thats why you buy an ipod!

Posted by AB on September 10, 2009 at 9:40 AM (PDT)

So Apple doubles the storage for the same price points on the Touch (for 32/64 GB models anyway) plus throw in a faster processor (and more RAM too?) and people complain about the lack of camera or other hardware upgrades.

While for the nano, Apple keeps storage and the lower price point the same (while dropping the higher price point $20), but adds camera, FM radio, and pedometer and people are happy (even though it’s primarily a music player and more storage means more music to carry with you).  Seems like doubling the storage for the same price point would have been a better upgrade for the consumer but no one’s talking about that because of the shiny new camera.

Posted by Dyvim on September 10, 2009 at 1:01 PM (PDT)

Forget about the camera. I was hoping for a 8gb $100 nano or even 120.
150 is too expensive for this day and age. Maybe Phillips or creative should come up with it.

Posted by Juan on September 10, 2009 at 7:39 PM (PDT)

Why would anyone want an FM radio when you have an iPod that will play the music that you want to hear at the time you want to hear it without the BS talk and commercials??? IMO save the space in the case for more memory.

Posted by Owen on September 15, 2009 at 8:38 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2