New iPods, Apple TV now available for pre-order | iLounge News

New iPods, Apple TV now available for pre-order

The online Apple Store has now been updated with the new iPod and Apple TV announced today at Apple’s special event. The new iPod shuffle is now sold only in a 2GB capacity for $49 and available in five colors. The new iPod nano is available in 8GB and 16GB capacities for $149 and $179, respectively, and comes in seven colors including a (PRODUCT) RED special edition. The new iPod touch is available in 8GB, 32GB and 64GB capacities for $229, $299 and $399 respectively. Unlike last year, Apple is also no longer selling a previous-generation iPod touch in the 8GB capacity; all of the three available iPod touch models are now the fourth-generation. All iPod models can be ordered today with expected shipping times of one week. The new Apple TV is also available for pre-order today for $99 with an expected ship date of September. Notably, the iPod classic did not receive an update today however it still remains on sale on the Apple Store in a 160GB capacity for $249.

« iPod classic still available; 160GB for $249

Apple’s 2010 Music Event: The Big Picture Summary »

Comments

What the heck Apple? No 128GB Touch?  Looks like I’ll be on the side line for another year. I cannot justify $400 to get rid of my 120GB classic, and only have half the capacity I currently have.

Posted by JW on September 1, 2010 at 2:49 PM (CDT)

WTH?!?

Agree with JW!
Where’s the 128gb iTouch?
No actual camera but video capture only?!
What’s the point?!

I’ll keep my 3G iTouch and extend the warranty for another year which is Much better and cheaper than buying the new iTouch!

Only Fanboys/girls, people with older models or people with money would consider the 4G iTouch!

No more video for the nano? Hah, like it really could’ve worked considering the SMALL screen. I rarely use the video on my 3G Nano! Now the nano is just an Over-sized, Touch shuffle!! BAH!!!
Worse, NO 32gb or 64gb nanos!
But then, that would infringe on the iTouch. Keep the nano as THE BASIC IPOD for the MASS PUBLIC!

What a Friggin’ JOKE!

Rip people off with Overpriced, nothing new iPods!

Typical Apple and Jobs >;(

Posted by Podr on September 1, 2010 at 4:07 PM (CDT)

I agree, the nano is getting pointless. And the Touch is just a crippled iPhone. I think the truth is that the entire iPod line is now just a big ad for the iPhone.

Posted by clint on September 1, 2010 at 4:10 PM (CDT)

if you actually read, it can take stills or video from either camera.

Posted by gto2 on September 1, 2010 at 4:20 PM (CDT)

I am pretty bummed about the lack of storage on the Nano and Touch. It is getting a little ridiculous. I am sure it fits into some business model that keeps the Classic marketable, but it really is time to get an increase. I will not buy a Touch until I can fit my entire catalog on to it (80GB of music). 120GB+ would allow that PLUS some games, videos and miscellaneous other goodies. Then, and ONLY then, would a Touch be worth the price. And I will not buy one until that time.

As for the Nano, ehh. It is will continue to be the easy way to go if you want an iPod. They really just took functionality away from it. I can’t imagine that tiny touchscreen is worth the price of admission. It is now a shuffle with some better controls.

At least the fixed the Shuffle. That buttonless version was just a FAIL from day one. My wife thought it was cute and then used it twice because she did not like the controls and Voiceover. The “throwback” to the 2G is a step back up.

Posted by Mitch on September 1, 2010 at 4:54 PM (CDT)

@gto2

If you can read, 920x720p is roughly ~1mg pixel in camera’s specs. That’s NOT good for taking pictures!

The video is meant for ONLINE video sites like YouTube so FORGET about showing it on a BIG HDTV or HD monitor!!

It’s a damn joke!

Posted by Pod on September 1, 2010 at 4:58 PM (CDT)

Nano ... meant for mass public for people who want JUST music.

iTouch… if you want multimedia/email.. this is it!

The new nano just took a step backwards as it’s REALLY an over-priced touch shuffle.
The shuffle should have been ELIMINATED as it’s a waste of resources!

DAMN APPLE >;(

Posted by Pd on September 1, 2010 at 5:01 PM (CDT)

I agree that the new nano is a pretty pointless device….it’s to play music…a touch screen UI is total overkill in my opinion.  I can see how users will continuously be touching the wrong part of the screen and get results they don’t want.  It also seems too tiny to be able to control on the fly.  I’d rather have the cheap shuffle for just music when I’m on the go.

Posted by Marco white on September 1, 2010 at 9:05 PM (CDT)

The new iPod Nano seems like a total downgrade from the previous version. For only $20 less the Nano has lost so many features. Not only did it lose its camera that was a great option for people who don’t want an expensive dedicated camera, but it loses all ability to play video!... and they sacrifice all this for a touch UI, which is a clear downgrade from the Touch and the iPhone! No apps… no accelerometer… what a disappointment! Why would anybody want this, when they could get a shuffle for only $49???

Posted by Jonathan Sanchez on September 2, 2010 at 3:03 AM (CDT)

First, What??? Ur All Right They Downgraded The Nano!!!! WTF! :O, It’s A Clever Idea But It Should Be 2.2 Touchscreen instead of a small (1.54’‘) And It Should Be Able TO View Vides, Notes, Calendar, Clock, Mini Games….. PLaylists.!!!
And The Touch Was An Improvement With 2 Downgrades, The Capacity And It Only Shoots Video (I Thought It Shoots Video And Takes Pictures,) turns out it only shoots videos!!!! Why!?
And The Capacity is very small, i’m definitivly not going to buy a touch 4g, coz i have an iPOd touch 3G, And It’s Great Wiht iOS 4, It’s More Slick, Clever Update, And Much More Features!!! (and i don;t need a camera that’s doesn;t take pics!!!!) :/, But For The iPod Shuffle It;s Great, Coz They brought back the colors and buttons and they added voiceover button wich is way easier then the buttons on the earphones with mic! it’s a clever iPod! :)

Posted by Wassim Elia on September 2, 2010 at 7:13 AM (CDT)

Oh! I’m Sorry Turns Out That The Touch Does Take Photos And Shoots HD Vids, Oh Then The Capacity Is the only bummer! :P

Posted by Wassim Elia on September 2, 2010 at 7:27 AM (CDT)

I think that the new ipod touch is a huge improvement. They pretty much put everything thats on the iphone on the ipod touch (except the phone part). Its never been like this before, the ipod has always lacked some major features like a camera. And to make an ipod touch with 128 gb of storage is not practical. Unlike the classic which uses a hard drive, the tough uses flash memory and 128 gb would be a few hundred dollars more. I have a 1st gen ipod touch and for sure i will be ordering the new one.

Posted by Daniel on September 2, 2010 at 8:37 AM (CDT)

Without a camera, last year’s iPod Touch was such a deception that many, including myself decided to wait for this year’s model. And there it is, a 0.7 M pixels camera, suitable only for photos displayed on the 3.5” screen. Try to import these photos in iPhoto and watch the lack of any quality resulting from such a low resolution, a resolution that would have made some sense more than ten years ago.  You’re allowed to take decent pictures only if you buy a iPhone 4. Oh yah, I forgot, Steve Almighty has decided that the camera is for Facebook use. I don’t use and I don’t care about Facebook or the iPhone 4. This new iPod Touch is clearly a no go for me this year, again.

Now for the iPod nano. This new iteration is total nonsense. The screen size is ridiculously small and one has to keep eyes AND finger(s) on that tiny screen in order to control things. Try to do this when you’re on your bike. I think that last year’s iPod nano (fifth generation) is the best iteration of nanos so far and I’ll get one before they disappear.

Even the iPad is seriously lacking in features (no SD card reader allowing easy input of photos in a iPhoto type of software, no USB port and even worse, no camera). I hope that by Christmas time some serious competition for the iPad will be made available and will hurt Apple. Apple needs to be booted for showing such a lack of respect for their installed base of followers.

Posted by Yvanov on September 2, 2010 at 3:17 PM (CDT)

I have a 1g 16 gb touch. Its getting REALLY old. I am definiatley going to get the new touch. I don’t care about the capacity. 64 is enough. I have 2 gbs of music. THATS IT! I don’t need that much space.

The new nano. SUCKS BALLS! nuff said.

The new shuffle. Yay!!! Buttons!

Posted by Jake Knaphus on September 4, 2010 at 6:24 PM (CDT)

This is going to be a interesting year for Apple, right? Updating all iOS products whilst keeping the iPod Classic.

And now with Facetime installed, looks like everyone with them will be using them.

I like the new iPod touch, beats my 2nd gen by miles! Perfect. Though it’s a shame that it shoots 0.7mp stills. Put a 2mp cam, ARM A9 processor, increased capacity, next yr.

As for the iPod nano, wow.. just wow. they scrapped video capabilities, 2.2” screen, and click wheel for this? disappointing. If only they put a 2.2” touch display, with the camera before, it’d be fine. Stupid move.

Posted by Steven on September 5, 2010 at 2:52 AM (CDT)

@wassim Elia , notes? Are you crazy on a 1.54 or even 2.2 touchsecreen ? Cmon now think about it. And @Pd , they should NOT get rid of the shuffle it’s great and cheap for working out

Posted by Danny on September 8, 2010 at 8:55 PM (CDT)