New iPods: EarPods included, but no remote or mic | iLounge News

New iPods: EarPods included, but no remote or mic

Unboxings of the new iPod touch and nano by Japanese blog Macotakara have confirmed a point that Apple obscured during last month’s iPhone 5-focused launch event: although EarPods are included with both of the new iPods, neither iPod’s earphones include the Remote and Mic functionality found in the $29 standalone accessory and the version packaged with the iPhone 5—the model Apple is now calling EarPods with Remote and Mic. The new iPods’ versions feature the newly redesigned earbuds with standard cabling and a 3.5mm audio connector; they do not include the carrying case included with the iPhone 5’s EarPods.

image

Macotakara confirms that the remote and microphone features from the standalone EarPods with Remote and Mic model do work with both of the new iPods. A full review of the EarPods with Remote and Mic is available here.

image

« Third-party Lightning dock offered; Apple chips cracked?

Build an iPhone 5 dock with 42 Legos, instructions »

Comments

There are much better earbuds out there. Even with the iPhone 5 I tossed the earpods in my junk draw and went back to my V-moda earbuds. The new design is still terrible.

Posted by Paul on October 9, 2012 at 12:46 PM (CDT)

@1: True, but in regards to the actual news story, why would anyone be surprised they aren’t the mic/remote versions? Apple has *never* shipped a mic/remote version of their earphones with anything ‘less’ than an iPhone even though the touch and iPad have both been fully capable of FaceTime, Skype, and other phone like communication for two years now. The closest to an exception to this rule was the godawful shuffle earphones with their 3 button remote they made for the third gen because they “forgot” to include any sort of user interface for the actual player.

I’m kind of amazed the amount of hype Apple has been making about these new earphones, between the time they got at the keynote to a TV ad blitz, it’s a lot of money to spend and attention to draw for something that Gizmodo summed up succinctly as an improvement, but still terrible.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on October 9, 2012 at 2:08 PM (CDT)

The third-generation iPod touch shipped with remote and mic-laden earphones. So “never” isn’t quite right. Whether the new iPod nano (which has all the buttons built into its side) or the new iPod touch (which has the volume buttons built into its side) needs those buttons on included remotes as well is open to discussion.

Note that Apple made no distinction between “EarPods” versus “EarPods with Remote + Mic” during the event. They marketed EarPods as having certain characteristic features and said the iPhone, iPod nano, and iPod touch would all be getting them. It was only after looking at the fine print - and the appearance of “EarPods with Remote + Mic” as a purchasable item - that the potential distinction became apparent to some people. Even then, it wasn’t conclusive until now.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on October 9, 2012 at 3:45 PM (CDT)

To sell the new touch with microphone capabilities, yet not include the full Earpods with remote + mic is really obnoxious.

Posted by keithnyc on October 9, 2012 at 5:06 PM (CDT)

@3: I didn’t know the 3G touch came with them, I guess they felt the need to have something “obvious” that year to differentiate between the 2G 8GB touch still on the shelves next to the more expensive 3G touch.

So, ok, “never” isn’t correct, but the least selling touch model ever that was only on the shelves for a single year versus all the others? The gist is still on point :)

As for whether Apple should have made a distinction or not, I suppose. I’d rather they just actually gave us the full tech specs for these things before somebody else lays out money and dissects them and then we can all just look up how much RAM, what processor, etc. on wikipedia.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on October 9, 2012 at 10:15 PM (CDT)

like I said, what I find annoying is that they embedded microphone functionality in that version of the touch (they include the mic app and the mic iconetc in the off the shelf software), but they don’t include the hardware with it.  Totally obnoxious.  I’m only assuming this is Apple’s little dig to slow down people from using Skype and other free VOiP applications instead of the phone…....

Posted by keithnyc on October 10, 2012 at 4:15 PM (CDT)

Posted by keithnyc on October 10, 2012 at 4:23 PM (CDT)

@keithnyc: FWIW, you can use skype just fine with the built in mic on the device while headphones are plugged in. I’d argue they did it for the same reason they seemingly do a lot of these “weird” things: the classic olive calculation. Save $0.20 per touch sale by including these modestly cheaper to produce earphones, sell 5 million touches this year, bam, generate an extra million in pure profit, win win win for Apple.

I suppose it is obnoxious, but most of their choices are. We’ve seen them makes these huge profit generators by squeezing just a little from each customer again and again. First with the removal of the wall chargers, a cost of $1 tops to Apple that plenty argued would result in lower cost hardware for us, sure. They followed up in 2008 by removing the resistance circuit that allowed for firewire pin charging, saving them about $0.10 a unit but costing us millions, and people again argued that they were protecting us from poor quality accessories and increased costs from warranty replacement from said poor quality accessories.

I’ve lost the ability to get my feathers ruffled by something like this. Besides, somehow they manage to still find it in themselves to shower us with those ridiculous Apple stickers so it’s all good in the end ;-)

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on October 10, 2012 at 5:08 PM (CDT)

Wow, how does Apple find the chutzpah to trumpet these things? Got my 5G touch today and, while they actually aren’t half bad sound wise, they are hands down the worst fitting earbuds I’ve ever received as a pack-ins (and very nearly the worst fitting earbuds I’ve ever used, only beat by a Sony model that literally fell out if you stood perfectly still because the body on the earbuds was so heavy). Me and my wife both promptly declared them unusable crap. My 8 y.o. seems to like them, so they’re not a complete failure ;-)

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on October 12, 2012 at 9:52 PM (CDT)

@Code Monkey (#9): Since everybody has different heads and ear canals, your mileage may vary.  Personally, I found them to be useless unless I actually held them into my ears, at which point the sound was pretty good for free pack-in earphones, but obviously not worth it for me (not to mention that I already own a pair of Shure SE-530’s that you will have to pry out of my cold, dead ears).

My wife, on the other hand, loves them.  She previously used the old white pack-ins most of the time (she has a pair of SE210’s for critical listening purposes—she’s a music teacher—but can’t usually be bothered carrying them around with her for everyday listening).

Posted by Jesse Hollington in Toronto on October 15, 2012 at 1:37 PM (CDT)